1050 CHUM Anniversary week.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

1050 CHUM Anniversary week.

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat May 19, 2007 2:02 pm

I know this isn't western radio news but the legendary 1050 CHUM Toronto celebrates it's 50th Anniversary all next week starting Monday at 6am Eastern with either live appearances or air checks of some of the jocks from the years gone by.
All the info and streaming audio are on the 1050chum.com site.
Current and former staff will gather for a reception in Toronto on Friday May 25th.
Station tours are set for the next day and then a concert in front of Toronto City Hall later that afternoon.
I'll be there and hopefully will be able to share some pictures with members of the board.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Heard It On The X » Sat May 19, 2007 7:13 pm

Say Mike, if you have any CHUM airchecks digitized I think they would make a great addition to the site here, IMHO.
Heard It On The X
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat May 19, 2007 8:41 pm

There are a lot of CHUM airchecks. including some of mine included in the jock show clips and other Canadian stations well represented at this site: http://www.rockradioscrapbook.ca/
The site is free.
Doug Thompson and Bob Laine have been working tirelessly going through CHUM's archives for the past couple of years, collecting, cataloguing and digitizing material from the past 50 years.
There's a lot of stuff still on 1/4 inch tape and even cassettes that they've been sorting through.
Hopefully, a lot of that will end up available somewhere on the net.
I'll be speaking with both Doug and Bob about that personally when I see them next Friday.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

ReelRadio

Postby jon » Sat May 19, 2007 9:51 pm

http://www.reelradio.com/findit/findit. ... DTHIS=CHUM will list eight unique CHUM airchecks, including three of the late Hal Weaver (totalling more than 90 minutes in all), and two scoped airchecks that have been restored by Charlie Ritenburg to unscoped by seamlessly re-adding the music (the original scoped versions are also displayed in the list).

ReelRadio only charges $12 U.S. per year for access to all of their nearly 2000 airchecks, all of which have been tirelessly digitally remastered by the Curator to create the finest Top 40 Radio Museum in the world.

Both Dale Patterson (who runs rockradioscrapbook.ca) and I have been strong supporters of reelradio.com for more than a decade now, both financially and contributing airchecks and detailed descriptions to the site. And Dale will be the first to speak up for the technical quality of the audio material on reelradio.

As for this site, we already have a historical look at CHUM for the actual May 27th anniversary date in Today In (Radio) History on that day. A lot happened at CHUM that day 50 years ago. I wonder if Elvis was "All Shook Up" to have the #1 record on CHUM Chart #1.
jon
Advanced Member

CHUM Airchecks

Postby radiofan » Sat May 19, 2007 10:22 pm

I will be posting 3 CHUM airchecks in the weekly feature airchecks tomorrow [Sunday]. One will be Daryl B filling in for morning man John Major in March of 1986. The others will likley feature John Rode from 1970 and Jackson Armstrong from 1968.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 20, 2007 7:42 am

The site is free

I like that idea Mike

All sites in BC are free despite the hard work of so many people.

For those who like to fork over the money - go for it.

Its like antivirus - why would you pay for a bad system like Norton
when you can get AVG for free and its twice as good.

Sound clips of early radio can be found at

www.radiowest.ca
www.bcradiohistory.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 20, 2007 6:59 pm

I completely disagree. We all pay for access to the Internet, so what is so evil about paying for access to Internet content? That makes as much sense as saying that everyone on the planet is entitled to all the recorded music they want, just because they own a playback device. Had that always been true, the only music you'd hear today would be by musicians who performed for free, or were singing about products that advertisers paid them to sing about.

And that is how Internet content works. Some people spend their own time and effort creating content. Or stealing it from others. But much of the most popular Internet content is created by people who are paid to do so, by organizations running Web sites that get paid by sponsors to run advertising on the site. The problem with that approach is that Internet advertising can dry up, as it did for several years after the Dot COM bubble burst at the turn of the century.

If you care about Top 40 Radio, Reelradio.com deserves your support. The technical quality of digital remastering of nearly 2000 historically valuable airchecks is without precedent, as you can hear in their (free) hour-long tenth anniversary special at http://www.reelradio.com/tenth/

They are currently in the middle of a massive effort to convert from RealAudio to AAC+ audio encoding for those of you who, like me, don't like Real as a company, or their software.

Every effort was made to keep ReelRadio free, but a subscriber model with a very nominal $12 U.S. per year was chosen over advertising, when the Curator faced bankruptcy. Otherwise, creditors would have seized all assets, and the level of effort required to resurrect the site would have been monumental. As you will hear on the sample, some of Top 40's finest acknowledge the value of keeping the site alive and vibrant: Bobby Ocean and Charlie Van Dyke narrate the 10th anniversary Special.

There has also been some criticism of ReelRadio's lack of Western Canadian content. There is a good reason: to the best of my knowledge, I'm the only Western Canadian who has ever offered the site any material.

I'm not saying RadioWest, RockRadioScrapbook and bcradiohistory.com should have no airchecks. But, I think ReelRadio deserves, among other things, cooperation, not competition. For example, I hope we never see the day when ReelRadio airchecks are recorded off the site by a subscriber and placed on one of our sites just so people will be able to get them for free.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun May 20, 2007 7:46 pm

Whoa!
I didn't mean to open a can of worms with my simple statement "the site is free."
I had a large collection of my own airchecks but almost all were lost during my move from Ottawa to Vancouver.
The ones I have of my time at CHUM are from Rock Radio Scrapbook.
I hope Doug and Bob will be able to replace most of the ones I lost from the CHUM archives.
But my stuff from 'OV, CJOC, CKXL, CJCA is long gone.
I also lost stuff from 'RB, 680 News and CFRA.
I respect people who take the time to research, find and clean up ancient air checks so others can enjoy them and I don't begrudge them money for their efforts.
As I've said before, broadcasting outlets are notorious for not preserving history.
So much was dumped or simply forgotten with new owners, format changes, etc.
I think we should share the urls where the stuff exists, whether it's a pay site or not.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 20, 2007 8:04 pm

Whoa - horsey!!!!

Just try to remember jon a lot of your content is on my website
because you asked me to do so for reasons unclear to me. You have
ample broadband yourself and technical knowledge to sponsor your
own website - free or commercial.

My statement stands - why pay for it - if the good stuff is on free
sites.

Thanks to radiofan and others for making all their products free.

This is a very small market based on my look into the "hits". We
are a small and dwindling interest group.

One final note - all the work of gord lansdell, the canadian communications foundation (broadcasting-history), brian walks, ted, me, red - all free and mostly ad free.

Would I help and support a pay$ for service site over
free ones - no thanks.

ps Mike - sorry I used your quote - but it was apt.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sun May 20, 2007 10:02 pm

Top Dog wrote:Whoa - horsey!!!!

My statement stands - why pay for it - if the good stuff is on free
sites.

I cannot see why anybody would object to paying a few dollars a year to enjoy what Reel Radio has to offer. In addition to the hours [probably thousands of them] that Ricky has put into cleaning up and remastering airchecks, there is also the matter of ASCAP and BMI performance fees that have to be paid for using unscoped airchecks with complete songs.

Top Dog must be a cheap date. Why buy a gal dinner when you can take her to the Salvation Army soup kitchen and you can dine for free.

Tsk Tsk Tsk
kat
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 20, 2007 10:42 pm

Mike - I wasn't attacking you, free Internet sites, or your reference to them.

Top Dog - I never accused you of stealing the Web site material that I gave you at a time several years ago when I had neither the time nor the energy to properly maintain those Web sites (which I made VERY clear to you at the time).

I am just appealing for a little more depth of thought, rather than the knee-jerk "free is good; pay is evil" attitude. And to suggest support for Web sites that preserve history and other things we care about, whether they be free or not. Quality of preservation is important with historical material, and that requires the right equipment and lots of time and expertise. As time passes, more is lost, as any silent movie buff will tell you -- the originals have literally disintegrated. In the broader picture, I just think that fragmented efforts at historical preservation are much less effective than a cooperative approach with a long term plan.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Sun May 20, 2007 10:47 pm

Yes Kat I actually went to a soup kitchen once to see what it was like
but I usually dine at paid establishments.

Jon - you have your opinions - right or wrong - as I do.

I prefer public librarys and museums.

I like volunteerism and doing things for mankind with out charging.

I note that many others do as well.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun May 20, 2007 11:03 pm

Top Dog wrote:I like volunteerism and doing things for mankind with out charging.

"doing things for mankind" sounds an awful lot like what politicians are supposed to be doing. How do you square "without charging" with your recent request that we all support a 30% raise for all of them, including yourself?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Glen Livingstone » Mon May 21, 2007 9:35 am

jon wrote:
Top Dog wrote:I like volunteerism and doing things for mankind with out charging.

"doing things for mankind" sounds an awful lot like what politicians are supposed to be doing. How do you square "without charging" with your recent request that we all support a 30% raise for all of them, including yourself?

Jon; that was going to be my question to T.D.

Standby for what is sure to turn out to be a weasel-word filled response, if indeed, a response is even forthcoming.
Glen Livingstone
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon May 21, 2007 11:29 am

Hey pluto did the wife give you cat food this morning?

Weasel?

Pretty strong stuff

Unless I slipped up - could you refer to my request for a pay raise
for MLA's or municipal politicians.

I think the record will show I said nothing of the kind.

Municipal politicians in my area are paid well with a cost of living factor
given each January - the last one was less than 2%.

I absolutely abhor the idea of giving these weasel Liberal MLA's and the slippery NDP a raise for doing so little for this province.

What is interesting in this whole debate which is really getting off track now is the lack of understanding of different points of view.

and maybe that affects me as well...BUT

message boards are for opinions and arguementative statements - not bitterness.

But at least we have something hot and exciting on the burner today
time for others to come on board - to make wild, inflammatory and totally
wrong headed statements.

Meow, pass the fancy feast tin!!
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to General Radio News