Buddy B

Your Updates for CalgaryBroadcasters.com

Buddy B

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:18 pm

I remember listening to a guy named Buddy B on CKXL in 1968 or 1969.

I have no idea where he came from or where he went to.

It's another name to add to your list, maybe someone can fill in more details.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Perfect!

Postby jon » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:57 pm

This may not sound like much, but this is just the kind of information we are looking for. A mere mention of a name, preferably with a station and approximate time period, is enough to get people thinking, asking friends, looking at old station charts, etc.

Obviously, if you know more, please include it. And, if you aren't sure of a fact, just say so.

Thanks in advance to everyone who submits information.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:18 pm

Buddy B and several others have been added to CalgaryBroadcasters.com today.

I just found this in a post by Gord Robson here on RadioWest a few months back

Our nighttime 'star' was Buddy B, who really didn't come close, although he had a big following. I did the allnight show on XL and constantly got calls asking for songs that only KGA played and we didn't.

Click Here for the whole thread.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Buddy B

Postby Gord Robson » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:06 pm

Buddy B was one of the MOR announcers at CKXL when they switched to Top 40 music in 1967. His real name is Bryce Christianson and since he was their evening jock they decided to have him change his name to the hipper sounding 'Buddy B'. He did sound good and had a big following. He only stayed at it for maybe a year and then left to back east somewhere. Wayne Bryant replaced him. Some memorable jocks at that station included - Don Lloyd, very funny morning guy Michael James Anthony Obrien from Portland, Jack Casey from Boston, David Paul from Richmond Va. John Novak who is still in Hamilton on CKOC after 30+ years. There was Bill Adams from Pittsburgh, and great guys like Greg Haraldson, Tom Tompkins and Mike McMann. The station certainly evolved into great things in the years to come in Calgary.
Gord Robson
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:24 pm

And CKXL included two tours from a very talented Gord Robson (err Robison - the first time around :wink: )

Now I can take the heat and I hope save Jon from some.

One more thing - Gord you sound great on Cool 880.
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Gord Robson » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:37 pm

Thank you albertaboy it's much appreciated! I was so fortunate to start at CKXL under the guidance of good people, including Dave Lyman and Bob Robertson (Double Exposure) and the lunatics in the newsroom, as a pretty young guy. I still keep in touch with the guys I mentioned in my previous posting. I moved on to Montreal, Edmonton and Vancouver after those days but I like the history of this crazy biz and with these expanded threads on here, would be happy to contribute to anybody who wants more information that I can offer. It's also fun to do Oldies on COOL in Edmonton with my old buddy Chuck Chandler.
GR
Gord Robson
Advanced Member

Postby Axeadentally » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:32 am

I remember there was a telephone number you could call and between beeps you could talk to others like a party line. It was called the Buddy B line. Not too sure if it was official or not.

I recall Bill Adams and Tex on 'XL in the mornings. He was a hoot...very funny. Is he still in radio?

I really miss 'XL...they ran a great station.
Axeadentally

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Aug 23, 2007 5:26 pm

Bill Adams is an almost forgotten (by most) Calgary radio hero of mine. His "little theatre of the mind" with a host of self-voiced characters, I'm sure, was being done by many in other markets but he was the first I experienced as a teenaged listener. Loved it when the dude in the garbage truck would pull up to the back alley studio window and "exchange viewpoints".
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Axeadentally » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:05 pm

Didn't he have a janitor named Justin Case? Why can't there be more originals like Bill Adams on radio? :?
Axeadentally

Postby Buddy B » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Actually, it was the Buddy Line and the phone number was 264-5577.... and yes, it was official. It was actually for requests and dedications but the sheer number of callers frequently overwhelmed AGT's equipment and turned it into a giant party line!
Man...radio was sure fun way back then!
Gord, thanks for the memories.
Be Good... Be Careful... Be Back...Keep Smilin Everybody....BYE NOW!!!!!
Buddy B

Postby Gord Robson » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Hey Buddy.....glad to see your post....glad you're doing well. You certainly had an impact in Calgary in a very short time. Carry on!
Gord R.
Gord Robson
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 pm

Welcome aboard Buddy!

In case you're wondering where the pic in Calgary Broadcasters came from, here's the full pic from (I believe) a 1968 Star Weekly mag.

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Promotions Guy » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:22 pm

Hey Gord thanks for jogging my memory a bit. I was really influenced by Dave Lyman when I was in high school and he was working in Calgary. I guess he was one of three people that light the spark that got me into the biz. Dave Lyman, Barry Boyd and Dale Partridge. In fact Dale sat in one ofthe offices in the old Birks Uilding studios for CJCA and tried to convince me to get a real job. I did. I dedicated my time to completing John Bohonos' Columbia School of Broadcasting (please pronouce every word) Passed like everyone did and headed to Edson for fame women and money. Hhhhmmm Or so I thought.
Anyway Gord thanks for the memory jog.
Promotions Guy
Advanced Member

Postby Buddy B » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:13 pm

You'd never know it, but I tidied up the control room before that shoot! Normally it looked WAY worse.

Finding this site and catching up on everyones exploits almost makes me want to get back behind the controls again.... but only if I had the freedom that I had back then. Dave Lyman put a great team together, then told us to have fun, and we did.

How about the time when our signal was relayed to U.S. Armed Forces radio in Viet Nam by a bunch of Ham operators? We were told after the links were in place, so we threw the phones open for calls and put them all on air. We kept it up for thebetter part of a day, until they lost the link. Calgary had a huge American contingent at the time who really appreciated it. the CRTC sure didn't though. We took a bit of flack over it.
Be Good... Be Careful... Be Back...Keep Smilin Everybody....BYE NOW!!!!!
Buddy B

Postby Gord Robson » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:51 pm

Remember the Buddy B Booster Buttons!
Gord Robson
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Calgary Broadcasters