CKNW Big Al & Ted Smith TV Commercial

Radio Station TV Commercials from the past

Re: CKNW Big Al & Ted Smith TV Commercial

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:54 pm

mightymouth wrote:
sparky wrote:"You know, there was a time at NW when everyone called Big Al "Sparky".

Not so fast, the Sparky tag was late in the career, after a mysterious fire on his boat!

Frosty was the one who, after the boat incident, started calling him "matches".
However,I don't know if he ever did so on-air; I would hope not.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:28 pm

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:
mightymouth wrote:
sparky wrote:"You know, there was a time at NW when everyone called Big Al "Sparky".

Not so fast, the Sparky tag was late in the career, after a mysterious fire on his boat!

Frosty was the one who, after the boat incident, started calling him "matches".
However,I don't know if he ever did so on-air; I would hope not.

I wouldn't think he'd have done that. But after the Sparky interview, I ran into some people in the Justice system who had heard the interview and weren't impressed. Al wasn't sent to jail, or fined over the burning boat issue, because the Judicial system looked at a poor, tired, sick aging radio guy and let him off. Gave him a break. And that's why they weren't laughing along with the Sparky comment. Al was the best at what he did. He could scoop it up and throw it against the fan like nobody else. Neil tries, but is a sad second best at that. Al was one of a kind. And it's a damn good thing that he had his run when he did, because he wouldn't have lasted 10 seconds in this sterile, bland, read the liner notes world that radio is in right now. (Sorry, old guy talking there.) It was just a different time. Right John Sykes?
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Absolutely and totally. There are so many of us who wouldn't make it today for one very good reason. And I'm not going to say what that reason is. I think some of you would figure it out.

All I can say is....those who want to get into the biz or are fairly new to it.....stick with your gut feeling. No one else can tell you what to do. It's up to you to make it or break it. I had one hell of a good time when I was in radio....I have some great friends across our country who were in radio with me or in opposing stations. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:54 pm

johnsykes wrote:Absolutely and totally. There are so many of us who wouldn't make it today for one very good reason. And I'm not going to say what that reason is. I think some of you would figure it out.

All I can say is....those who want to get into the biz or are fairly new to it.....stick with your gut feeling. No one else can tell you what to do. It's up to you to make it or break it. I had one hell of a good time when I was in radio....I have some great friends across our country who were in radio with me or in opposing stations. I wouldn't have missed it for anything.

John, may I say this. I don't want to turn this in to a love-fest, but I do want to thank you for your many years of wonderful sports journalism. I was a jouneyman while you were in the Vancouver market, and may I say that I admired the way you conducted yourself both on and off the air. I was in a few press boxes over the years, and even though we didn't "hang" together, I and a lot of other members of the working media, hold you in high regard. I know this is beginning to sound like a testimonial dinner or something, but I just think it should be said. I'm hoping you're enjoying your retirement, and that we will be able to meet one day and have a beverage and talk about the times that were.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:00 pm

mightymouth wrote:
John, may I say this. I don't want to turn this in to a love-fest, but I do want to thank you for your many years of wonderful sports journalism. I was a jouneyman while you were in the Vancouver market, and may I say that I admired the way you conducted yourself both on and off the air. I was in a few press boxes over the years, and even though we didn't "hang" together, I and a lot of other members of the working media, hold you in high regard. I know this is beginning to sound like a testimonial dinner or something, but I just think it should be said. I'm hoping you're enjoying your retirement, and that we will be able to meet one day and have a beverage and talk about the times that were.

After that mush, mightymouth...I guess John is going to have to buy the first 2 rounds!
:D
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:03 pm

sandclan wrote:
mightymouth wrote:

After that mush, mightymouth...I guess John is going to have to buy the first 2 rounds!

Sandclan, you're always so succinct :read2:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:05 pm

John has missed the last couple of get togethers .. he'd better show up at the next one [later in February or early March]. :walk:
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:06 pm

mightymouth wrote:
Sandclan, you're always so succinct :read2:

Thank-you!
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:18 pm

Again, the whole topic gets thrown against the curb, but if this is the end of it, there are a million Big Al stories out there, and if you ever hear one, you can be sure it's true. Just ask Jim Robson, he'll tell you! :wink:
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:43 am

Thanks for putting up that bit of classic TV! It's like a 30 second horror movie with Ted Smith playing the part of a vampire.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:08 am

Some very kind words. Thank you. Hopefully I can make it to the next get-together. Putting a face to an alias is job one! :cheers:
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:07 pm

What makes you think MM doesn't look like that? :cat2: :D
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:22 pm

Russ_Byth wrote:What makes you think MM doesn't look like that? :cat2: :D

Nobody has ears that big!!
:D :wink:
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:15 pm

sandclan wrote:

You know what they say.... big ears.....
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby yee-haw » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:46 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
sandclan wrote:

You know what they say.... big ears.....

Big ears....big Toque? :wink:
yee-haw
Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Radio Station TV Commercials