Kelowna, Kamloops & PG Spring 09 S2 BBM

Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Ratings

Kelowna, Kamloops & PG Spring 09 S2 BBM

Postby radiofan » Thu May 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

CBC Radio One

Postby jon » Thu May 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Do any of these markets have local AM or PM Drive shows on CBC Radio One? The stations seem to have awfully good ratings, especially Prince George, for a simple repeater of CBU.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Kelowna, Kamloops & PG Spring 09 S2 BBM

Postby radiofan » Thu May 28, 2009 5:34 pm

When I did the regional listings pages on the main RadioWest.ca site and the listings for each area of BC, Kelowna and Pringe George have local morning shows that are on the LPRTs and high power repeaters in their area. The service for kamloops originates in Kelowna. Victoria also has it's own local morning show.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat May 30, 2009 9:09 am

hey radiofan,

Where did you get those results from and what are they based on? They don't correlate at all to the S2 2009 survey I'm looking at from Astral Media Radio Sales. As well, the Astral Media Radio Sales' BBM At a Glance Report for the Kelowna market doesn't include the CBC station rankings.

I'm looking at the "share of hours tuned" for Adults 12+ to get a general overview, rather than specific demo breakdowns. I have no idea what "Central AQH" and "Central Cume" mean so don't even bother looking at those.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat May 30, 2009 9:51 am

I'll bet the ones you're looking at Dougie, paint Astral even better? Why don't you ask Astral why they don't include CBC, even though they're surveyed.
I can tell you that the ones Radiofan posted are the ACTUAL BBM S2 survey numbers. THEY are the ones you should believe.... not ones provided by a radio sales department.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sat May 30, 2009 10:22 am

Ah, okay. Thanks for that. Yeah, I wonder if Canadian Broadcast Sales (the Corus/Rogers-owned national radio sales company) includes CBC in their survey results or not.

As far as painting Astral stations in a better light, all stations' percentages are higher in the Astral Media Radio Sales' results but their rankings remain unchanged.

Still, with these numbers, I fail to see how K96.3 can justify its on-air claim to being "Kelowna's #1 radio station". It's clearly #3 - unless they mean "#1 new radio station", but that's meaningless since it's only a two-horse race with "The Juice" and it's also not what they say. Don't get me wrong, I love 96.3 - it's Kelowna's best radio station, I just disagree with their on-air claims.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat May 30, 2009 10:42 am

As for #1.... every station can make its own number 1 claim. The most ridiculous example of that being CJMB (the all traffic station in vancouver with a 0.7 share)
Perhaps 96.3 is making its claim based on a certain demographic... cume (actual number of listeners).. or who listens on cloudy days when the temperature is 15 degrees. You get my drift.
Why not send a note to 96.3 asking them on what basis they make that claim.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat May 30, 2009 11:11 am

Every radio station throughout history has claimed to be "number one."
It's simply a marketing or positioning statement designed to impress listeners.
Yes, the most ridiculous claim is by AM730 in Vancouver which claims to the the "number one traffic station."
Sorry, not even close.
News 1130 is all over them, all the time.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat May 30, 2009 11:19 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:Every radio station throughout history has claimed to be "number one."
It's simply a marketing or positioning statement designed to impress listeners.
Yes, the most ridiculous claim is by AM730 in Vancouver which claims to the the "number one traffic station."
Sorry, not even close.
News 1130 is all over them, all the time.

You really otta pay attention Mike. Howaboutthosenumbers said the exact thing just before you.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat May 30, 2009 11:27 am

He's on my "ignore" list along with "arrow-ass."
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

AQH and CUME

Postby jon » Sat May 30, 2009 11:49 am

dmehus wrote:I have no idea what "Central AQH" and "Central Cume" mean so don't even bother looking at those.

Well, at least you are honest. I'm assuming that AQH stands for Average Quarter Hour. I've seen both "AQH" and "AQH rtg." where AQH is clearly number of people, presumably the average number of people (12 years of age or older) listening in a quarter hour between 5 am and 1 am Monday to Sunday. I'm not sure about AQH rtg., but it appears to be percentage of the total population listening in an average quarter hour. SHARE only looks at the number of people with their radios on, so I assume that AQH rtg. (rtg=rating, I assume) is a percentage of the entire population.

If that is true, things are pretty dismal for Radio. CKNW scores a SHARE of 10.7, but an AQH rtg. of only 1.2. If my theory is correct, that says that only one in nine people have their radio on in Vancouver at any point in any given quarter hour between 5am and 1am, 7 days a week.

The Central in "Central AQH" and "Central Cume" refers to the generally accepted market of the station, as opposed to "FC" or Full Coverage Area.

While AQH bores me, Central CUME is actually a very interesting number. It tells you how many people in the Central market area actually listened to your radio station at some point in an average week. Technically, it only reports your station if there was a quarter hour in the week where the person listened to your station more than any other during the quarter hour.

This whole Quarter Hour nonsense, which is being continued with PPM (people meters), is a huge problem for stations who get listeners just for their Traffic or other "short" features. Were I filling out a BBM diary or equipped with a PPM, neither iNews880 or CHED would have scored anything if I was still working and drove (the tail end of) Rush Hour to and from work. Because I tuned in for 30-120 seconds on several of the Ones and Fours for Traffic on the two stations, but listened to other (music) stations the rest of the time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat May 30, 2009 11:53 am

Mike Cleaver wrote:He's on my "ignore" list along with "arrow-ass."

Really? Surely you have thicker skin than that... all the years in the biz. (and I'm sorry for calling you surely) ;)

And Jon, I don't know about the math (numbers aren't my thing) but your definitions are pretty much bang on as far as I know.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat May 30, 2009 12:32 pm

Nothing to do with thick skin or whatever.
I just don't care to waste my time with idiots.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat May 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:Nothing to do with thick skin or whatever.

Maybe so, but its you that ends up looking like a numbskull!
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
Mike Cleaver wrote:Nothing to do with thick skin or whatever.

Maybe so, but its you that ends up looking like a numbskull!

Hmmmm. Thick skin, Numb skull, Tender foot, Arm's length, Toe jam, gotta be more? :mrgreen:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Regina and Saskatoon Numeris 12+ Diary Spring 2022