Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:53 am

107 approved and ready to launch

http://www.new107fm.com/

Interesting words in this petititon

Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Yerxa

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:20 am

So Edmonton's commercial radio landscape is controlled by the big 5. How does this make it different from any other major Canadian city? I wish John the best of luck, but its a business plan, not a petition that will sway the idiots at the CRTC.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:22 pm

Someone on the PSR board claims the call letters for the Yerxa station (New 107 FM) will be CJAO. I just checked the Industry Canada database and it's still listed as CJNW 107.1. Anybody hear anything?
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby mightymouth » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:43 pm

That's a riot! 100 thousand dollars a year to find new talent in EDMONTON??? For a couple of bucks bus fare you can go down and check out the busker in front of the Liquor store and your job is done! :mrgreen:
Don't count the days, make the days count.
mightymouth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Someone on the PSR board claims the call letters for the Yerxa station (New 107 FM) will be CJAO. I just checked the Industry Canada database and it's still listed as CJNW 107.1. Anybody hear anything?

A little research turns up the fact that, during the CRTC Hearings in Edmonton, one of the losing bidders for 107.3 MHz was CIAM Media, which wanted a 250 watt ethnic station. During the hearing, they kept referring to their station at CJAO-FM.

Obviously, somebody made a mistake on one of the web sites that lists FM stations, and others have just copied the wrong info. The first three sites I checked just now all had it wrong.

Bottom line: Yerxa's station will be CJNW-FM.

The Facebook site for the station is starting to get some ugly comments from frustrated would-be listeners. Apparently, they've attempted to contact the Yerxas involved in the station, and no one is even responding anymore.

Assuming that Yerxa will be sharing the Newcap site in West Edmonton Mall -- and that, in my opinion, is a huge IF -- I can tell you that they are a long way from coming on the air. Sandclan was in town and we walked by the Newcap studios and the old Cat Country studio is totally vacant. Newcap ripped out the board, which was the last thing in an otherwise vacant room, about 8 months ago. That is where Yerxa's on-air studio was supposed to be.

Speaking of Newcap, they really are a pretty good indicator as to when we might see some new station activity. The day they start moving forward again on buying those Ontario FM stations that they put a hold on nearly a year ago, is when financing will be available to them. And, to the new stations.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Jon. I've always been amazed by how quick mis-information can spread on the net.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby andyp » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:42 am

I just attempted to visit the Facebook sites for both the new107fm station and a fan site that was established. Clicking on the links resulted in the Facebook search page reloading.
andyp

Postby jon » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:24 am

andyp wrote:I just attempted to visit the Facebook sites for both the new107fm station and a fan site that was established. Clicking on the links resulted in the Facebook search page reloading.

I just checked the station's official Facebook site
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22526033104
and all I got was a blank screen the first time.

A couple of refreshes and it came back...eventually. Me thinks it is Facebook, not Yerxa's page, that is having the problems.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby MIKE FM » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 am

They are officially testing.
Coming back from Lethbridge last night, I found Q107 from Calgary being drowned out by adjacent 107.1 MHz around Ponoka.
There was an ID from a male voice every 30 mins confirming they are testing.
They are playing melodic trance music. Great, strong sounding signal - no RDS subcarrier yet.
If I'm not mistaken, they are transmitting from the Rogers site in Stony Plain.
Correct me if I'm wrong but the lower antenna in the following picture is their antenna.
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad18 ... GP1738.jpg

The other new stations are not testing yet.
MIKE FM
Advanced Member

Yerxa

Postby jon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:07 pm

They appear to be playing complete CDs with, as Mike says, IDs at the top and bottom of the hour.

Right now they are playing some of the radio stations from the soundtrack of the video game Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.
jon
Advanced Member

CJNW-FM

Postby jon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:49 pm

As further confirmation of the CJNW-FM call letters, check out http://www.new107fm.com: the title of the web page (that which appears in the Title Bar of your browser) is "CJNW FM 107.1". And the MP3 and WMP live streaming (yes, of the test broadcasts) are both given URL's with file names of "cjnw".

By the way, tuning in 7 hours later, and they are playing a radio station from the soundtrack of another Grand Theft Auto game!
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jondavid01 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:14 pm

So Whats the story about 102.3 in Edmonton?Does anyone know when that station is gonna hit the airwaves or the name of the station?
jon zizzo
jondavid01
Advanced Member

Rawlco

Postby jon » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:42 pm

As I've said in other threads recently, Newcap has not yet found financing for purchasing a bunch of FM stations in Ontario. That tells me that the other new stations, including Rawlco on 102.3 MHz, are running into similar problems. No available financing means sign-on is delayed.

My guess is that Yerxa is using his own money.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby i2thesky » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:22 pm

They are currently testing. Signal very strong heading south on the # 2. Funky music!
i2thesky
Advanced Member

Postby MIKE FM » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:12 pm

Was listening to the station on my way to Jasper this weekend. Interesting signal pattern to say the least. Because they are on the Stony Plain tower, they last that extra 15 to 20 miles longer like SONiC does compared to all the other Edmonton FM's near Sherwood Park. I found the signal quite unstable around Entwistle (highway 22 junction) but got better around Chip Lake till it completely faded out 5 minutes before Edson.
Radio Data System is up tonight.
PS and Radio Text read: CJNW IS TESTING. STAY TUNED FOR OUR UPCOMING LAUNCH.
PTY (format) reads: TOP 40.
MIKE FM
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Alberta