Earle Bradford CKNW 1977

A radio site without audio is like a TV station with no pictures.

Earle Bradford CKNW 1977

Postby radiofan » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:15 pm

Jack Bennest has been looking for some old Earle Bradford airchecks .. Here's a CKNW Earle's Court program from April 7th of 1977. This is from the morning following the death of
Vancouver Sun columnist Jack Wasserman. Also included is a portion of Hal Davis' 8AM CKNW News which happens to include a voicer from Mr Bennest. There is also a few opening
words from the Gary Bannerman show.

Earl The Pearl April 7, 1977
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Earle Bradford CKNW 1977

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:53 am

Great clip radiofan - lots of emotion from Earle - think that was Barry Gaudin doing the intro.

Earle was 2 year older than Wasserman at the time of Jack's death.

Earle lived a short decade longer.

"Only the good die young" RIP
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:54 pm

Thanks for posting RF. Lots of real talent there.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:28 am

Really appreciate this post.

Earle was a sweet man, and although we worked at opposing sticks = he was always really kind.

Mr. Wasserman, I never met, unlucky for me....and I still smile when I walk by the plaque "Wasserman's Beat" - on Hornby.

Only the good die young, well put - sad, because we lost Earle way too early, as well.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Oh brother......when I heard this recording, the tears began to hit the eyes. I remember fondly....May 1977 when I did a fill-in for Tiger Davidson for a month and got to know Earle Bradford. What a marvelous man he was! A year earlier, Mr. Wasserman mentioned me in his column when I moved from the Whitecaps back to radio and CJJC. I still have the clip from the paper and treasure it to this day.

There were characters in radio at one time....I've had the pleasure and privilege of working with some. As memories of certain events begin to dim.....those memories of radio and those who were in radio will never dim.

Thanks for posting that wonderful tribute.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

To this conclusion - there are a TON of nice people in our Industry now and just as there was 'then'. Now - it's different.

Let you pick up the ball from here. But I don't think I worked with more than a teeny few folks I wouldn't be happy to call 'friends'.

I met some INCREDIBLE people.

Lucky is not the word.

Man, when I think of the talent, alone, and the lack of EGO>>>> wow.

One or two regulars here are demi gods in my Pantheon....but the hardest worked of that Pantheon would I could point to as an example of a PROFESSIONAL and a true gentleman and that would be the man with the initials NS.

Now, kids - if you didn't get to hear how a PREPARED show sounded 'effortless' - you should try a few of this dudes air checks.

My Favourite technique was CLEAN, TOP 40, ROCK JOCK Radio. No soliloquies - no bad punch lines. Easier said than done.

NS - le mastro.

I salute him and so many others.

Darryl B. would be a master class teacher, Lan Roberts. Pat O'Day. Fred. Frosty.Red. Too Loud. The Bear. Robson. Dean and Hatchie. Bet you know a lot more. Bill Reiter....*anyone not like this terrific cat? Terry Reid Hubbard...I could go on, but list grows shorter.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am

Just reviewing this 1977 tape of Hal, Earle and a bit reporter and a staff announcer - a touch of Bannerman at the end. Made me cry actually. :oops:

Campbell - I believe you posted some tape a could of years ago of me at nw or or reading news on a cast. Cannot for the life of me find it again.

Radiofan - we use to have the juke box machine recordings on bc.radio.history - did that get dropped from the servor or did time just catch up with us?

Jack
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:31 am

The Jukebox feature uses Flash, which some web browsers no longer support. I went back to CoffeeCup and they, more or less, "walked away" from the issue years ago.

I only discovered the issue two weeks ago, and radiofan and I agree on this solution (a page of links). For now, at least.

Direct links to this material are still being provided through vancouverbroadcasters.com, on each broadcaster's entry. Thanks to Gord for his cooperation on this.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to This week's feature aircheck(s)