CKQR's Gordon Brady passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

CKQR's Gordon Brady passes

Postby jon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:52 pm

BRADY, Gordon Allan - Of Okanagan Centre passed away in the Central Okanagan Hospice House on June 6, 2010 after a valiant battle with Cancer.

He was born on a farm in the Shellmouth Municipality in Manitoba, August 25, 1931. He moved to Proctor BC as a teenager, where his parents had purchased the Outlet Hotel on Kootenay Lake BC, which later became the Holiday Inn. He had summer jobs on the SS Moyie as a deckhand and fireman in his high school years. He married his childhood sweetheart - Jean Bonacci of Proctor BC in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, April 11, 1953. The 58 years of marriage included many moves. Gordon managed the Household Finance Company office in Calgary, Alberta, then transferred to Vancouver where he eventually became the manager of the Bank of Nova Scotia. The family moved back to the Kootenays in 1962 finding themselves in Castlegar, which then became home for the next 32 years. In 1969 Gordon started a radio station called 1230 CKQR. He managed the station until it was sold in 1990. They then retired to Salmon Arm and eventually settled in Okanagan Center in 2000. Gordon loved his curling and Slo-pitch ball and the rapport with his fellow players. He enjoyed both sports until 2009.

Gordon is survived by his wife Jean and children Brian (Karen) Brady of Fort St. John, Valerie (Huseyin) Yildirok of Portland, Oregon, Rodger (Sharon) Brady of Victoria, and Greg (Jean) Brady of Calgary. They have eight grandchildren: Walker and Emily Brady, Turan and Tanyel Yildirok, Hannah and Claire Brady, and Carter and Mitchell Brady. He was proud of them all. Also survived by; Brother Bill (Isabel) Brady and many nieces and nephews.

There will be no funeral at his request, and a family gathering will take place at a later date.

Friends wishing to do so may donate in memoriam to the Winfield United Church in Lake Country or Central Okanagan Hospice House in Kelowna, where he spent his last days in the care of a very compassionate team of Health Care Workers - He will be missed.

Condolences may be sent to the family by visiting http://www.springfieldfuneralhome.com, 250-860-7077.

ref. - http://www.castanet.net/obituaries/BRADY,_Gordon/
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CKQR's Gordon Brady passes

Postby jon » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Two years ago, Gordon and CKQR were a popular subject of conversation:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2942
jon
Advanced Member

Postby glaherty » Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:02 pm

We'll miss you Gord, never forget the opportunity you gave so many of us young broadcasters in the Kootenays, and definitely a character, but with his heart in the right place. lp :sad10:
glaherty
Advanced Member

Postby LadyRadioGaga » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:55 pm

What an amazing man, employer and (unbeknownst to him) a matchmaker!! He was a very generous person and will be so very, very missed. Rest in peace, Gord Brady.
LadyRadioGaga

Postby crs » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Gord Brady will always have a special place in my heart. Most will agree he had his own "style" of how radio should be. Yet, I wouldn't trade my 4 years at QR1270/760 Castlegar for the world. He performed the toast to the bride at my wedding (still have the speech on tape). RIP Gord and my sincere condolences to Jean and the family.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:22 pm

"Cassuhgar..."

"Hey, little lady..."

And, I'll never forget the all-staff meeting where he was required to read all staff the new, CRTC Sex Role Stereotyping rules...

He also gave me a lesson in the treatment of podobromhidrosis and the purple crystals required forthwith to alleviate, but that's for another post.

Gord, I salute you.
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:54 am

Podobromhidrosis? Was that to treat YOUR condition or HIS? Don't ask....Won't tell! ROFL What happened in "Cassuhgar" STAYS in "Cassuhgar".
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby The Unknown Copywriter » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:46 pm

crs wrote:Podobromhidrosis? Was that to treat YOUR condition or HIS? Don't ask....Won't tell! ROFL What happened in "Cassuhgar" STAYS in "Cassuhgar".

Let's just say he...uh...yes, let's leave that in Cassuhgar...
T.U.C.

"The present day composer refuses to die!"
Edgard Varese

"Kill ugly radio."
Frank Zappa
The Unknown Copywriter
Advanced Member

Postby jrebels » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:44 am

Just found out about Gord. My condolences go out to Jean, Brian and the rest of the family. Some of my fondest memories in broadcasting were at CKQR where Gordon gave me a chance to do the play by play hockey. I also met one of my life long friends Fred Jack, who goes back a long way with Gordon. Gord was a generous man when you got to know him and was a dedicated broadcast owner who provided the city with a lively if not interesting format for many years. I was going to say, rest in peace Gord, but he was such an active guy, he will no doubt be keeping extremely busy upstairs.

Jake
jrebels

Postby PMC » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:41 am

Gordon Brady was a friend to many and will be missed by all that knew him.
PMC

Return to Radio People History