Ron Carabine RIP

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Ron Carabine RIP

Postby johnsykes » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:06 am

It is with much sadness that I noted in Sunday's Province, the passing of Ron Carabine.....former General Manager of CKVN/CFUN.

I had some wonderful times with Ron as my boss. He will be fondly remembered. My condolences to his family.

Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Re: Ron Carabine RIP

Postby jon » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:56 am

Obviously, Ron had a sense of humour or this would never have aired:
"And he called in the Carabine Fix-It Shop and he fixed it up good."

Listen 11 minutes in on this aircheck of CFUN's last day (1969 edition):
http://www.radiowest.ca/airchecks07.html
jon
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 am

I liked Mr. Carbine. I would sit and talk radio, in his pipe smoke filled office.
I am tired of reading about people I liked, dying.
Tempus Fugit.
Thanks to Ron Carabine, I had a career. Mediocre though it was.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Anotherwpgguy » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:57 pm

Wow ... how sad, and yet I have to say he had a pretty good shot at life, and certainly enjoyed every moment he was given.

I liked him immensely. In these days of firing every last manjack of the staff when a station is sold to new owners, when CHUM bought CKVN from Jack Tietolman, the majority of staff were retained ... Ron Carabine as General Manager included. Quite a feat I'd say.

Ron was the type of leader that for the most part, you never saw, except when he was asking if you had everything you needed to do the job, or you were asking for an advance on your pay, and he'd take you down to John the accountant and have him cut you a cheque. You could always pop into his office and just say hi for a couple of minutes of good conversation. It was always my impression that he was a straight shooter, and I sure never felt that he had lied to any of us ... when he said things were tough ... they really were, it wasn't a cover up for "head office wants more money from this outlet."

Hagopian ... you're right. I've been having too many friends and acquaintances pass away, and I'm feeling all too mortal ... kind of funny because in my youth, I lived life as if I didn't expect to see 35 ... tee hee. Now I hope to see 95 plus, unlike my poor best friend Ron Able who has been gone about 18 months now.

Regards to all,
from Anotherwpgguy
Anotherwpgguy
Advanced Member

Postby FORMER-BOSSJOCK » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:30 pm

In the 30 odd years I was on the air, I can honestly say, Ron Carabine was the best GM I ever worked for.
FORMER-BOSSJOCK

Postby hagopian » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 am

This man was from an era when people gave a damn about their staff. Mr. Carabine was kind, and helpful. Like our friend said so well above, he was there for you.
Now it is like an adversarial relationship. The staff hates management, the managers resent having to pay the staff anything.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:43 pm

I'm really pleased to see some response re. Mr. Carabine's passing. That terrible Friday afternoon when he let 36 or so employees go, had to be the worst day of his life. I was one of the lucky ones who survived the switch from news to music, but it hit him just as hard as any of the others. I would think Bill Konyk would be equally as sad re. Mr. C.'s passing as all of us....he and Mr. Carabine were very close friends.

Sykes
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:46 pm

Mr C. had a standing, every December, booking of the Canyon Court Banquet Room in North Vancouver and hosted the best radio station staff Christmas parties one could ever have the privilege of enjoying.
His home was walking distance to the annual soiree so, you can understand his preference for the venue.
Sadly, the Canyon Court was razed years ago but the name remains and lives on as Canyon Court condos and townhomes.
After Paul Ski became GM the party was relocated for many more years to the top of the Hyatt Regency (excepting two isolated occasions at Denman Place and Brock Mansion).
.....but, it was never the same.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:07 pm

The BEST Christmas parties at Canyon Court. Thanks for the memory, Mr. Sennheiser.
I miss so many people. Do you? It sucks.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Shall we tell the story of Santa at the Hyatt, Mr. Sennheiser?

Maybe, not.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:26 pm

The only party I remember was one at Mr. C.'s home.....a card party...Ron, Bill Konyk, someone else and myself. Konyk took me to the cleaners.
His wife, Marion, was a sweet lady to work with too. Real fun days they were...sadly, time marches on. I'm with you others.....hearing of the nice guys you worked with who have passed on, really sucks.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:34 pm

His wife Marion...meaning Mr. C's wife....not Kay Konyk, who also was a wonderful person to be around. Had to fix that script.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History