Kerry Campbell to Middays on Capital-FM

Radio news from Alberta

Kerry Campbell to Middays on Capital-FM

Postby jon » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:44 am

Kerry Campbell is the new midday host on Capital-FM (CKRA). She had been one of the try-outs for the Morning News with Rob & Audie, and had also been on Capital-FM from time to time in the past.

Here is the official Capital-FM bio:

Kerry’s love affair with sound began on her 10th birthday, when her parents gave her a little radio/cassette player with a mic and a couple of blank tapes. Not only would she listen to all her idol radio announcers of the day, (Chuck Chandler on CKDA in Victoria, BC, The Racoon in the Afternoon on CFUN in Vancouver) she would then record herself mimicking their style. There were no women on the air waaaaaaay back then, but that didn’t stop Kerry. She would also sneak into her big brother’s room and steal his tapes. To this day she still knows every word to Queen’s Bohemian Rhapsody and can recite the entire track list on Boston’s self-titled album in the correct order.

As Kerry got older, she got more into stage performing and singing, but by the time high school graduation rolled around, she realized she didn’t want to sling hash while waiting for her big break on Broadway. So she enrolled in a radio course at B.C.I.T. to combine her love of performing, music and radio. And the rest is history. Ancient history.

Kerry has spent most of her time on the West Coast of B.C., but in 2003 she packed up and moved to Dubai, United Arab Emirates for a few years. If you ask her how it was, she’ll probably say…"interesting". You can interpret that any way you want.

Kerry moved to Edmonton with her family in 2008. She figured the weather was just like Dubai, only opposite. (It’s plus 40 in the summer there…minus 40 in the winter here). She’s still not quite used to the cold, but Kerry finds Edmontonians very warm, and loves the fact that snow and cold doesn’t stop anyone here from going about their business.

While Kerry’s moved around a lot, one thing that has never changed is her love of music. She is happily passing this appreciation on to her 7 year old daughter, who lists The Beatles, CCR and Elton John among her “idol bands”. Kerry also loves to dance. If you happen to be passing by the Capital FM studios during the midday show, be sure to glance in. Chances are you’ll see Kerry bustin’ a move. Then she’ll probably hobble over and ask you for the name of your chiropractor.

ref. - http://www.963capitalfm.com/index.asp?m ... 1109&cc=10
jon
Advanced Member

Re: Kerry Campbell to Middays on Capital-FM

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:11 am

Kerry used to host mid-days on 100.3 the Q! in Victoria before heading to the UAE. She also did a turn at reading the news on Ed Bain's Q! morning show.

Not sure that her timeline for Chuck Chandler at CKDA fits her high school years. Chuck was in Edmonton on 630 CHED when Raccoon was on CFUN.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:27 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:Not sure that her timeline for Chuck Chandler at CKDA fits her high school years. Chuck was in Edmonton on 630 CHED when Raccoon was on CFUN.

To be even more technical .. Racoon was 6-10P or maybe 8 - Mid on CFUN .. Racoon In The Afternoon was CKLG (after Greg Haraldson talked him into leaving CFUN.)
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:06 pm

Never good when you get the Info in your own bio wrong.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:54 am

It must have been a real long, drawn out childhood. I'm pretty sure Racoon made his move from CFUN to CKLG in 1978 or '79 and remained there until 1982 or '83. In 1983 Chuck Chandler was out of radio and
doing his shopping centre karaoke thing with Bobby Curtola (actually Boby at that time). The Chucker's first appearance in Lotusland was at UP 800 in Langley in the late 80's, then he was off to Victoria and
CKDA in the early 1990s.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:47 pm

Sparky is totally correct.I have air-checks of Racoon at both CFUN and LG from '78/'79.Same with Chucker.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:46 am

Muzik, please share your air checks.
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:44 pm

I'd love to share all my airchecks but I need to scope them down to the best quality.Alot of my tapes were recorded from Saskatoon skip and fade in and out etc.I also have many recorded from the markets which I visited.(Many)
But Yes when I have time I would like to post some good radio memories.Thanks for the interest...Muzik.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta