How many passports?

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

How many passports?

Postby Paul P » Wed May 18, 2011 8:02 pm

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad that the "North Van" journalist is safe and out of Iran.
But am I the only one who finds it strange that she has THREE passports? Canadian, American and Iranian.
Do you use one to get in a country and another to get out? Are they 'tools of convenience?
How does one get three passports?
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Re: How many passports?

Postby slowhand » Wed May 18, 2011 8:39 pm

Paul P wrote:How does one get three passports?

By holding Citizenship in three countries. I'm not positive, but I think you have to be a citizen of a country to get a passport from that country. Friends of mine who are long-time Landed Immigrants of Canada cannot get a Canadian passport.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:46 pm

Multiple citizenship is common.

Some journalists have used whichever gives them more access a citizen of the country you are in has in theory more access to places there, and jobs. But it puts them even more under the thumb of a country like Iran, with less ability for the country of their other citizenship to help them legally. If the journalist was born in Iran that's probably even worse, some countries don't even recognize renouncing citizenship.

And I suspect officials in countries like Canada look askance at flipping around between passports.
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:10 pm

RK: Not really.
A valid passport is valid almost anywhere except in countries restricted by the issuer, such as North Korea for Canadians.
Dual citizenship is recognized here.
A passport from the country of your birth, kept up to date and a Canadian Passport issued after one becomes a citizen here, also kept up to date, is common practice, especially with our burgeoning immigrant population.
If you came from a country that is let's say, more government controlled than here, it's often more advantageous to use that passport when re-entering that country for any reason.
Most places don't even stamp passports anymore so they can be used interchangeably.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:00 pm

I'm getting close to the required amount of years of permanent residency to apply for American citizenship here and, I plan to do so, as I will not have to relinquish my Canadian citizenship when I do; that would be a deal-breaker otherwise.
I would then have right to both a Canadian and a U.S. passport.
I'm also told that I'm an eligible candidate for a British passport and U.K. citizenship as well. All I would need would be able to supply proof of my grandmother's birth in Scotland. The Scots keep meticulous records so a bit of research would likely make that happen too.
Three passports!
I'd feel like James Bond!
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06 am

Neumann Sennheiser wrote:I'd feel like James Bond!

Or Remington Steele. If you remember the Pilot, he had a half dozen passports, all in the names of characters that Humphrey Bogart had played in movies.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:41 pm

The item below is from TV.com featuring trivia on the program "Remington Steele'

Episode 1: License to Steele
When Laura meets the future 'Mr. Steele' he has five passports, each in the name of a character Humphrey Bogart played:

Douglas Quintain, England - (The) Stand-In (1937)
Michael O'Leary, Ireland - Dark Victory (1939)
Paul Fabrini, Italy - They Drive By Night (1940)
John Murrell, France - Virginia City (1940)
Richard Blaine, Australia - Casablanca (1942)

Ironically Humphrey Bogart also played a character named Steele in In a Lonely Place (1950), so Mr. Steele didn't break the tradition and picked his new alias after yet another Bogart film.
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby RationalKeith » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Neumann, one reason to get a UK passport would be easier permission to work in the EU, which likely has some cross-border flexibility like the NAFTA work permit available to professionally-qualified citizens of the three participant countries.

One thing to consider is taxation - some countries like the US tax regardless of official place of residency.

Some countries might apply "lowest common denominator" for rules like security.

Problem is Canucks, Yanks, and Brits have it easy, all fine places to live. Someone born in a still-bad country wants to stay here for sure.
RationalKeith
Advanced Member

Postby johnsykes » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:00 pm

Having been born in England and later, taking out citizenship in Canada, I automatically have dual citizenship, Britain and Canada.
I never lose my British c-ship, despite having a Canadian passport, and more importantly, having voted in a Canadian Federal election. That can be a problem for those, say, of U.S. ciizenship coming to Canada....you vote once and you're apt to lose your American c-ship. That's the way it was, and I haven't heard of any change.....but I will stand to be corrected if there has been a change.
johnsykes
Advanced Member

Postby gwp » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:24 pm

This link provides much information regarding the pros and cons of multiple citizenship

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/publications/du ... te-eng.asp
gwp
gwp
Advanced Member

Return to The Bitchin' Post