Warning - avoid Mexico at all costs

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Warning - avoid Mexico at all costs

Postby hagopian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:59 pm

At the risk of going off the radio path - I wish to give you an explicit warning from my Compadre ( in Mexico, it is common to hit it off with a dude and you become an hermano, a bro, part of the Family, and for me, was a real honour).
Right now, the Mexican Government is underplaying danger to Turistas. If you can, cancel and go to somewhere else, like Hawaii for a safe sun break. My Compadre says that he and his American born wife are leaving and not coming back. This is a Civil War that has killed 5000. Not a place for Gringos - because of kidnappings, and petty theft withviolence is out of control.
Thought you needed to hear this - I lived in Mexico and so this is sad. I feel the USA is in danger, if scared Mexicans try to get out, en masse.
Tragic.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Re: Warning - avoid Mexico at all costs

Postby drmusic » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:20 pm

A more level-headed note of caution from a Canadian living there

http://www.cjme.com/story/canadian-livi ... ists/38694
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:28 pm

Here is the Canadian Government web page:

TRAVEL REPORT - Mexico

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=184000

Here is the US Government web page:

Mexico - Country Specific Information

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_t ... s_970.html
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:37 pm

Just telling it like my Mexican Family, if you will, is deciding to deal with what's happening. What you think, is your reportage and appreciated.
I lived there. You?
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Without having the statistics in front me I'm willing to bet that the crime rate in Surrey is much higher than what it is in your average Mexican city (away from the Frontier Zone).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:25 pm

Warning - avoid Surrey at all costs
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Interesting story from CBC.ca...
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012 ... mckay.html

"Walter McKay, a Mexico City-based security consultant, maintains the website policereform.org, which tracks narco-related killings in Mexico."
https://sites.google.com/site/policereform/
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:07 pm

Hi Everyone, First off a Very Happy New Year to everyone!!!! Hope 2012 is great for you all!!! Yes I would avoid travelling to Mexico, I know several people from Mexico and they are living in Langley and are great people. Several young families from the City of Chihuahua. It seems like one of the nicer cities in Mexico, higher in elevation and sort of like the Calgary of Mexico from what I have heard. However with all the incidents in other parts of Mexico I would really hesistate on travelling there for business or vacation. I tend to be very careful about things like that!!!!

However I do agree with Dan, knowing Surrey extremely well and having grown up there although I was born in New Westminster!!!! I consider New Wes;t. my hometown!!!! Anyway North Surrey particularly the Whalley area has gotten worse and worse over the last 20 or 30 years. I know they have a high-tech new library and high-rises plus the SFU Campus at Surrey Place but there are still a lot bad things going on there. Dianne Watts is a great Mayor for Surrey but she has an extemely big challenge in restoring Whalley (North Surrey) to a more civilized state!!!! When we had C-FAY on-air there back in the late 1960s and early 1970s there were some pretty strange things happening then, just ask VE7ROX and RadioFan!!! At that time is was better than now!!!! So you could well be right Dan the North Surrey crime rate could be higher than your average Mexican City away from the border areas!!!! On the other hand South Surrey=White Rock and Cloverdale are much nicer areas and I really like them!!!! If someone gave me property for free in the Whalley area I wouldn't live there. This is from someone who went to school there and grew up there!!!! Most of my relatives, cousins etc. have moved out and living in the Okanagan, Langley or White Rock area!!!! One of my cousins had her son gunned down in the North Newton area heading towards Whalley, that was about 15 years ago!!!! Anyway it was her only child and she was devastated by it, she now lives in Langley Township and is remarried and has a new son!!!! I could write a huge book about all the different things I wtnessed in Whalley! Having lived in Toronto, Calgary, Mission and Langley and travelled into the states including ghetto areas of Cleveland, Ohio and Portland I must say that some of the stuff that goes on in Whalley is as bad or worse as some of the worst areas of the USA.

Anyway that gives one another take on this topic!!!! All the best for 2012 to everyone!!!!
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:27 pm

The more information the better - from any source that has credible first hand knowledge. (whether that be word of mouth or mass media); With that thought in mind, and since this is a radio board here is a link to the "Radio Station world" web page for Mexico City, Mexico. If your spanish is up to scratch there should be ample "first hand"' information... Sorry, there were no english language results on the page.

http://radiostationworld.com/locations/ ... .asp?m=df~
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:36 pm

If I may add a comment, as someone who is in Huatulco RIGHT NOW and not pushing the panic button from thousands of miles away...
Like traveling anywhere, if you use your common sense and don't stray off the beaten path, you will be fine! If you feel the need to be adventuresome, do it with a guide approved by the resort.
Venturing out in a foreign country where you don't speak the local language, IMO is just asking for trouble.
Now back to blue skies and 30 degrees.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:44 pm

From Steve's CBC article: "For the year 2010, Ciudad Juarez had almost 300 people killed per 100,000. It's horrifying. But it's not a tourist area."

That may put a damper on your dreams of becoming another Wolfman Jack by working at XERF and cranking up the power to its past glory of frying birds as they flew by the 250,000 watt transmitter tower.

Hey, who am I to talk? I live in Edmonton where we finally beat Toronto at something besides hockey: number of murders last year.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby kat » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:20 pm

I think hagopian's warning about travel in Mexico is a bit extreme. As Russ pointed out, if you stick of well travelled areas and don't wander off the beaten path you should be OK.

Along with some old school friends, we're looking forward to some sun 'n fun in Mexico in February.

I noticed the green team on News 1130 aren't mentioning Huatulco by name today. They are saying the murder took place at a beach south of Acapulco. Not sure if that's because they can't pronounce
the name Huatulco or maybe it was requested by travel operators who advertise on the station.

Please bring us back some sunshine and blue skies Russ, we're beginning to rust!
The world has two kinds of people. Cat people and idiots.
kat
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 pm

kat wrote: Not sure if that's because they can't pronounce the name Huatulco or maybe it was requested by travel operators who advertise on the station.

My guess: both.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:15 am

Speaking as someone who has been to Mexico twice, I have SEEN the enemy first hand. He struck me in the dead of night and forever dashed any desire to return there EVER. His name is Montezuma! :neutral:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:37 am

crs wrote:Speaking as someone who has been to Mexico twice, I have SEEN the enemy first hand. He struck me in the dead of night and forever dashed any desire to return there EVER. His name is Montezuma! :neutral:

I fought the enemy with Dukoral...And kicked his ass.
:phew: ;-)
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste