Warning - avoid Mexico at all costs

Post items here [radio related or otherwise] that you have run across on the net that might be of interest to others

Re: Warning - avoid Mexico at all costs

Postby hagopian » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:39 am

Oaxaca is a very beautiful and dangerous state.

The Narcos are running rampant - and we don't hear about locals getting shot or worse.

As for your stomachs health - mine never has recovered from my many bouts of Turista. YOGURT or a four day run of Bactrim will help.

I loved living there, but it got scary.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Paul P » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:25 pm

The third paragraph above says it all about the poster (who doesn't have the guts to use his own name when he decides to slam an entire country)
Many bouts of stomach/digestive troubles suggest a keen ignorance of what to do to prepare for foreign travel. You had some bad experiences... and the areas in the news.
Like others have said, play it smart, don't get plastered and piss off the locals, and you should be fine.
Being nice is my resolve - in 2012
Paul P
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:20 pm

The Department of Foreign Affairs re: Mexico: Exercise a high degree of caution and Avoid all non-essential travel..

Quote:"Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada advises against non-essential travel to the border areas between Mexico and the United States, due to continuously high levels of violence linked to organized crime in those areas. Canadians should avoid crossing Mexico’s northern border by land and should do so only if it is absolutely necessary, after making appropriate arrangements to ensure their personal safety. Shootouts, attacks, and illegal roadblocks may occur at any time. "

See: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pays/ ... ?id=184000
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby beddows » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:24 pm

I am in Mexico right now. I live 4 to 5 months a year down here in my RV. I have never had a problem. Most Mexicans will give you the shirt off their back to help you. I drive about 10K Miles each year in Mexico without incident.

I have concluded the following:

1) Most murders in Mexico are targeted. You have far more chance of being murdered by a random nut in the US.
2) Most murdered tourists end up having been involved in the drug trade.
Caravanas de Mexico RV Caravan co-ordinator
http://www.mexicorvcaravan.com
Radio history: CJSF, CFBV
beddows
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:59 am

Lots of good info. I got Turistsa - but not because I am stupid..it happens. I happen to be unlucky. Sin hielo, por favor.
I am glad Russ is having a great time in a tourist resort in Oaxaca, I was referring to travelling, say up country to go to the City of Oaxaca - even the Federales freak on that stemwinder.

There are bad spots everywhere, including where we live. It's just that Narcos have AK47's and are crazed.
If I ever get Sanderson to agree with anything I say, I'll faint.
I lived in Mexico and travelled extensively, and it was quite something.
I am glad I didn't go through the hassle and buy and retire there.
Puerto Vallarta was the best run City I encountered.
I lived in Guerrero and left when Narcos got active.
Love Mexico, and the people. Just be careful.

Just passing on what my adopted Mexican Family tells me.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:09 am

Does this happen in Whalley?

MORELIA, Mexico - Police in western Mexico have found 13 bodies at a gas station in the state of Michoacan.Michoacan state prosecutors' spokesman Jonathan Arredondo says the bodies were dumped Monday near a convenience store on the gas station lot in the town of Zitacuaro.Arredondo said threatening messages were found with the bodies, but he wouldn't comment on their content or give any other details.Michoacan is home base to The Knights Templar cartel, a pseudo-religious gang specializing in methamphetamine production, drug smuggling, extortion and other crimes.

This is the kind of headline that is all too familiar.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Steve Sanderson » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:37 am

hagopian wrote:Lots of good info. I got Turistsa - but not because I am stupid..it happens. I happen to be unlucky. Sin hielo, por favor.
I am glad Russ is having a great time in a tourist resort in Oaxaca, I was referring to travelling, say up country to go to the City of Oaxaca - even the Federales freak on that stemwinder.

There are bad spots everywhere, including where we live. It's just that Narcos have AK47's and are crazed.
If I ever get Sanderson to agree with anything I say, I'll faint.
I lived in Mexico and travelled extensively, and it was quite something.
I am glad I didn't go through the hassle and buy and retire there.
Puerto Vallarta was the best run City I encountered.
I lived in Guerrero and left when Narcos got active.
Love Mexico, and the people. Just be careful.

Just passing on what my adopted Mexican Family tells me.

hagopian...I agree with you quite often. You must have me confused with somebody else!
;-)
Like Russ, Kat and others have said, I think if you stick to the resorts on the Caribbean, Baja, or P.V. and don't go looking for illegal activities you will be fine...But, like the CBC article and the Department of Foreign Affairs said, there are some key areas in Mexico and border areas between Mexico and the United States for all tourists to avoid because of the Narcos drug wars.
Steve Sanderson
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:40 am

hagopian wrote:I am glad Russ is having a great time in a tourist resort in Oaxaca, I was referring to travelling, say up country to go to the City of Oaxaca - even the Federales freak on that stemwinder.

You must be referring to Federal Highway 175 from Puerto Angel on the coast; admittedly it is paved and, the magnificent views aside, that's about the best you can say about it.
It doesn't move out of the "white-knuckle" category until about half-way to Oaxaca. I couldn't even imagine driving it at night which is NEVER a good idea when driving in Mexico anywhere. Bandidos lay in wait, wildlife and farm animals wander and sleep on the roads and it is most common for tired truckers to simply stop to sleep for the night parked on not quite the shoulder of the road; there really isn't one.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:53 am

Just for fun, here's a link to PJ O'Rourke's essay on Driving in Third World countries. Very funny and mostly factual:

http://www.kh-vids.net/showthread.php?6 ... s-and-Tips
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:11 pm

Ruta 175 from Puerto Angel to Oaxaca is unreal. Best description by my winger NS. We were coming down from Oaxaca and our Combi is flying. Up ahead, a man in bloody shirt, trying to wave us down. I speak Spanish, in English, told driver, Toby, to keep engine running, we roll by and I yell at the dude - that we were going to send Federales. I am sitting in the back, side door open, and I notice movement on bank above our combi...."gun it....". We stopped at small Federales Station, and reported it. Officer told me that it was a common ruse used by the bad guys.
That was about the straw that broke the camels back.
Don't even get me started on El DF, Mexico City.
NS is right - I never drove in Mexico.
I also tried to avoid contact, even politely, with the Federales.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Rip 'N' Read ... aka Cut 'N' Paste