Vancouver PPM Nov 28, 2011 - Feb 26, 2012

Vancouver PPM ratings 12+

Re: Vancouver PPM Nov 28, 2011 - Feb 26, 2012

Postby pave » Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:27 am

Only to add some perspective: 'QR in Calgary has always had between a 9-10.5 share. It's the machinations of everybody else that makes them stand out as #1. In other words: They didn't earn it. That's just the default position.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby DJ Specs » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:01 pm

I actually listen to Sonic more than The Beat now. Not sure why even. Perhaps in time they will do a bit better in the ratings. Although Oldies isn't my thing, I really wish we had an oldies FM station in Vancouver. I used to enjoy some talk shows on NW, but never listen anymore. If it's not live and not local, there is no point. The repetition on News1130 is getting REALLY annoying. Why the hell do they need to introduce traffic, and then introduce it again as soon as the traffic reporter starts talking.. just irritating.
What a sly guy... Radio Vibes..
DJ Specs
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:18 am

I am the same way Specs. I always liked the Beat but find myself jamming on Sonic more often these days. I'll say wait and see before the calls of "blow it up" and "still birth." I like it, Specs likes it... so you know, that is two people on Radiowest :P

It seems to me that Sonic has a hotter rotation. It seems to my ear at least the Beat is more concerned with Virgin and playing re-currents and a little more gold.

I like Kid... but I've noticed with PPMs and Virgin and Sonic... less talk. I am obviously not the core Top 40 demo, so I guess research says "NEVER TALK, ONLY MUSIC ON REPEAT" but whatever, when they used to be more talk show, I dug it.

With 3 top 40-ish stations... its things like Kid, promotions, social media, currents/recurrents ratio, mix DJs that will separate all the players.

As for CFOX, they are number one in their demo and with a trillion stations in the market, they get to hang a division banner.

Wonder what Shore will become... Airchecker on twitter is saying Squish! Alternative rock? Programmed by Alan Cross? LOVE IT!

and I agree with all the above posters... oldies on FM should be a no brainer... but I guess easier to type on a message board then execute in real life :P
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Postby different » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:26 pm

Couldn't agree more, Sonic needs a few books to get their feet under them.

This seems to happen on these boards every time a station starts out. You're all over them when they start off, then when they do get a decent share, most of you (that pissed all over them) are no where to be found.

I hope Astral is doing Squish! Corus letting Alan Cross get away should come back and haunt them. Although, I don't think Astral will do it, I bet it's just a decoy so they have a little more time to launch a Boom type station.
different

Postby whenindoubt » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:48 pm

Sonic has live DJs until at least 2am without voicetracking (as far as I can tell). They also seem to be bringing a lot of artists into the studio. (if twitter is any indication)

The genre isn't my style, but they are at least trying. I don't see the need for all the hate. Because they're owned by a big bad company? Last time I looked the broadcasters passionate about their work don't sign the cheques.

I would like to see them succeed.
whenindoubt
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:42 pm

NW has smaller cume than 730 am.

Sonic is trying. Going after a demo that is broke or unemployed.

Brilliant move.

But, Sonis is trying to be a real station. Credit to them, they are going to have a tough time.

CISL is disturbing. They gave up their core audience for infomercials, so Stu and Phillips could make more money.

Oops.

Radio is littered with some real smart folks.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby CKNF » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:24 am

hagopian wrote:CISL is disturbing. They gave up their core audience for infomercials, so Stu and Phillips could make more money.

Oops.

Radio is littered with some real smart folks.

Indeed. Here was a music-based AM station that had, against all odds, some relatively strong numbers and they managed to mess that up with brokered programming. Brilliant.
CKNF
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Again, not being in the market, I am very confused about CISL's ratings. Just to confirm my memory, I went back and found the Fall 2007 ratings gave them a 1.5 SHARE. Compare that to the 5.8 they scored in the summer of 2010, just 18 short months ago. And the 2.3 they have now.

What happened to so dramatically improve that 1.5 into a 5.8? Surely not just AM 600 signing off, though they did have a 3.0 in those same ratings. I've never heard of two stations with different formats somehow managing to combine their ratings numbers.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 pm

You really can't compare pre and post PPM numbers.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Roger Pedacter » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:45 pm

I know the point you're making, Mike, but why can't you compare them?

If the industry is using pre and post PPM numbers as a straight-across comparison, why shouldn't we?
Roger Pedacter
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:58 pm

jon wrote:Again, not being in the market, I am very confused about CISL's ratings. Just to confirm my memory, I went back and found the Fall 2007 ratings gave them a 1.5 SHARE. Compare that to the 5.8 they scored in the summer of 2010, just 18 short months ago. And the 2.3 they have now.

What happened to so dramatically improve that 1.5 into a 5.8? Surely not just AM 600 signing off, though they did have a 3.0 in those same ratings. I've never heard of two stations with different formats somehow managing to combine their ratings numbers.

Jon - Prior to AM 600's flip to FM, CISL into it's Classic Hits mode .. When 600 became the Peak, CISL dropped most of the real Rock and Roll they were playing and replaced it with the Adult Standards/Soft
Rock that had gotten CKBD that 3.0 share. CISL instantly inherited that 3.0 share plus whatever audience they already had.

In the past two years, not only have most of the live announcers disappeared, but a fair bit of paid for talk programming (fancy way of saying infomercials) has taken over evening and weekend airtime.

The way Astral (or those in charge) have just let the decay set in is a tragedy. Look what NewCap has done in Edmonton with CFCW. The Camrose AM station is still playing music with real live on air people
and guess what?? It gets ratings! I'd bet it even makes money and pays it's way. CFCW even has a news room and a live newspeople 7 days a week!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:45 pm

radiofan wrote:CFCW even has a news room and a live newspeople 7 days a week!

And they have microphones on the ground (they sort of have to after dropping Canadian Press - cheaper to retain real bodies) and word has it their newsroom has a bulletin board of Edmonton Sun news pictures that display their mike flash.

That said, the newsies are under orders "just to make the needles move."
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

CBC Radio Two ratings improve

Postby jon » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:49 am

radiofan wrote:Image

Couldn't believe this article when I read it:
http://www.montrealgazette.com/Remember ... story.html

The author's claim is that CBC Radio Two's rating took such a nose dive that, in private radio, they would have cleaned house, at all management levels.

Everything I've read has pointed to improved ratings for CBC Radio Two since the near elimination of classical music. The ratings above, for Vancouver, certainly seem to support what I've read elsewhere. Dunno where this guy got his information.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Destro » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:13 am

I know that since CBC2 put Buck 65 in the afternoon... I now have to compete for some ears that I didn't before.
blog: http://morningaftershow.wordpress.com "A voice of reason amongst the doubters!" - Sandclan
Destro
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Vancouver PPM May 30, 2022 - August 28,2022