Sheila Gardner is now James Gardner

Radio News from British Columbia

Sheila Gardner is now James Gardner

Postby radiofan » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:49 am

From Gord Lansdell at Northwest Broadcasters ...

06/01/12 - Longtime Edmonton and Vancouver news announcer Sheila Gardner, now working at CFAX AM 1070 Victoria, has some information to share: "May 18th, my co-workers at CFAX, KOOL and CTV Victoria were informed about my gender change to male. The positive support I have received from my co-workers and management at Bell Media has been overwhelming, and has helped to make my transition into the workplace almost seamless. Beginning June 4th, listeners to CFAX will be hearing me sign on as James Gardner. For many this might be a bit of a surprise, and some may find it confusing at first. However, for me, it is the conclusion of a long and sometimes painful journey to a future of happiness that I have never felt before. I’d like to thank all my friends and supporters for their generosity and understanding."
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Sheila Gardner is now James Gardner

Postby drmusic » Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:51 am

Just wondering if there is a precedent for this among active broadcasters.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby mic-2 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:44 pm

The only radio person I am aware of is Tim Burge in Vancouver, who became Pamela Burge at CKLG. That was many years ago.
mic-2

Postby skyvalleyradio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:46 pm

It must take tremendous courage to make this statement to the public. Good luck to James on a continuing career as a first-rate news person
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:01 pm

drmusic wrote:Just wondering if there is a precedent for this among active broadcasters.

DrM, there's Jaye Albright, who was consulting JR Country in Vancouver during my time there. Jaye is well-respected in the industry by all accounts.

Bravo to the management and staff at James' station. I've found attitudes amongst radio people when it comes to LGBT matters generally very positive. Any homophobia lurking within the confines of stations, at least on the west coast, is extremely isolated.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:10 pm

James and I worked together at CJCA-CIRK-FM for a few years in the early '80's.
When I left to return to CHUM, I tried to persuade him to go along with me.
Brian Thomas brought him to Toronto for a few days and offered him a job with CHUM-FM news but James wasn't ready to make the move, being in a relationship at that time with someone who didn't want to move east.
He really would have made a great addition to the CHUM-FM staff.
We re-connected when I moved to Vancouver in 2001.
James always has been and continues to be a true professional in the news business and is a very good friend.
I am happy for him and am sure all his friends and colleagues will agree and support him.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:00 am

James was one of my favourites during my days on Ash Street. Classy that our Broadcast Family has been so accepting of this massive change in his life. My salutations and I hope this brings him peace and contentment.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia