Larry & Willy = History

Radio News from British Columbia

Larry & Willy = History

Postby flyonthewall » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 pm

As the Larry & Willy are missing saga continues, the Fly has heard some pretty solid rumblings from within the walls of 2440 that Larry & Willy won't be returning.

Will Rogers enforce the 15 month no compete if the contract is paid out in full or will the boys be free to find a new home ASAP?

I doubt the kind of bucks Rogers was paying would be offered by anyone else.

At one time there was talk about them being the replacement for Frosty at NW. Could they become the Phillip Till replacement?

Was last week's revamp at Jack a smokescreen for the move of Sonic to 96.9 when Kid Carson's show launches in two weeks?

We have the questions and some answers. When will the other dominoes fall into place?
flyonthewall
Advanced Member

Re: Larry & Willy = History

Postby pamstevens » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:26 pm

Their Facebook page said it all.....

On Wednesday, June 27th, our longtime newsman Kerry Marshall was fired by Jack management. On the same day we were presented with a list of conditions laying out revisions to our broadcast and alterations to our contract that we found unacceptable. As such , we were informed we would no longer be presenting the Jack morning show. In recent days we have been approached by Jack management to try and temper the situation by suggesting to you that we agreed to go our separate ways in a happy, mutual decision. This is entirely untrue, and we would be lying if we were to say otherwise. These events were brought on by decisions made by Jack management and our responses to them. The result ? We are no longer associated with Jack FM. We are however very excited about plans to return to Vancouver radio in the fall of next year ! Thank you for your support through this interesting time and for letting us come into your mornings for so many years ! Larry and Willy
pamstevens
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Sue the bastards for breach of contract.
I guess that 'tard Brookshaw was involved in this directed by some douchebag in Toronto.
Good luck wherever you end up.
I knew Rogers was stupid, having worked for them before but this is about the dumbest thing they've done since cleaning house at CITY-TV.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby whenindoubt » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:19 pm

About 200 comments on that post in under 2 hours.. most of them saying they will never listen to JACK again. Not a good sign.
whenindoubt
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:27 pm

Quite the listener response. In their statement they sound confident they'll be back on the air in the fall of '13. Do you think they have a deal in the works somewhere else?
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:13 am

The fall of '13 reference refers to when their non-compete clause ends in their Rogers contract. I still wouldn't take that as a firm date. If they get a station interested now, the station's lawyer could negotiate their way out of waiting.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:57 pm

The way the hate mail is pouring in, Jack management would be nuts to let Larry and WIlly start broadcasting anywhere else on the dial any sooner that the contract states.
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:12 pm

Rogers management has been exposed for what it is, a cadre of liars.
Such contract violations by the employer can be used to get out of any condition in that contract.
The lawyers for both sides will have a field day.
The precedent already has been set many times for "no compete" clauses to be thrown out because one side or the other violated contracts.
Also, companies have been known to "make deals," such as the one that got L&W out of C***S and into Rogers.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:15 pm

I find it interesting the number of posters here, 2 in particular, who apparently have inside knowledge of what was exactly in L & W's contract.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:I find it interesting the number of posters here, 2 in particular, who apparently have inside knowledge of what was exactly in L & W's contract.

Dunno if that post was aimed as me as a not so subtle attempt at discrediting my comments. I'm sure you'll be disappointed to know that Larry or Willy have been discussing some of the terms of their contracts publicly which is where I got my information.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I don't know what was in Larry and Willy's contract, but I do know that unless you are prepared to retain a $500/hr labour lawyer to act for you on an ongoing basis, and be present whenever you speak to a Rogers manager or HR person - any contract drawn up by Rogers will only be of value to them.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Not so.
As I've always said: "Truth is the ultimate defense."
You can get a good lawyer who specializes in federal labour law for a lot less.
I know.
I've done it twice.
Vancouver, BC, Canada

Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Blabbermouth » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:27 pm

They still need a place to go. So where?
Blabbermouth
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:57 pm

Blabbermouth wrote:They still need a place to go. So where?
flyonthewall wrote:At one time there was talk about them being the replacement for Frosty at NW. Could they become the Phillip Till replacement?

Corus sounds like the logical place for them. There are situations I could imagine where they could fit nicely doing a morning show on any of the four Corus Vancouver frequencies, including a revamped 730. Surely any bridges burned 9 years ago have been reconstructed by now.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Reditorial: Larry & Willy vs The Beancounters
by Red Robinson
on 08.03.12

I have known for some time that Larry & Willy were out at JACK FM but out of respect for the two men and the radio station I held back. It would have jeopardized their contract situation. Now that it is resolved we must understand that radio is a business.

The owners look upon each outlet as a commodity to bring greater returns for shareholders. Therefore, ratings and sales are unimportant. It is the shareholders who must be satisfied. Many think radio stations live for the ratings results, but the truth is they only worry about the returns for the next quarter. It is still a highly profitable game but for how long? Take away programming and personalities and what do you have? Vanilla.

Unfortunately, no matter which radio station you go to the biggest earners on the air are the first out the door to save the bottom line for the next quarter’s results. Have you wondered why you haven’t heard any new personalities on radio in the past decade? This is the reason.

To the managers who carry out orders from their masters in Toronto, thanks for all this. In my opinion there are no local radio station managers in this market, only caretakers. When the call comes from corporate headquarters, that is when they go for the axe. To be fair, this is the only way they can keep their jobs.

Yes, the personalities suffer but we, the audience, suffer more. Good luck to Larry & Willy… and thanks for so many great years of entertainment!

ref. - http://redrobinson.com/blog/?p=2584
jon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia