Jack Cullen's " "NW Memory Lane" theme - Is It OUt There?

A look back at various radio stations

Re: Jack Cullen's " "NW Memory Lane" theme - Is It OUt There

Postby Laterider » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:04 pm

Perhaps it would be interesting sometime to post old stories of Jack Cullen and his studio shenanigan's. I started with NW back in 67 when Jack was located at what was known as the Howe Street Social Club.
His console was a Northern Electric which now resides at the Radio Museum. I remember he had a switch on the upper right hand side of the console which killed the ceiling mounted heater unit whenever he turned the mike on.
Not knowing what it was I got zapped by this when I went to service the console. Jack had re-routed the 120 volt supply for the fan unit through one of the console keys.

Most of Jack's old equipment still lives on. The BE stereo board that we installed in the Burnaby location and was later moved to his McBride location is the main operating console for the Hornby Island Radio society.
Laterider
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Let's Take That Trip Down Memory Lane ....

Hear The Whole Song!

And Thanks to Peter Trill at SPARC Vintage Radio Museum, here's the way Jack kicked off the Sunday night Memory Lane show on CKNW and on CJOB Winnipeg ....

Jack Cullen Memory Lane opening

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jgoheen » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:53 am

It's hard to believe Jack Cullen has been gone for more than a decade. I listened to him regularly in the 1970's through the late 90's. I recall his various signature songs such as Girl Talk and Take a Trip Memory Lane (by the Ray Charles singers?) but there was his sign off song after Network Replay that sometimes played for a few seconds if he was running late or occasionally lasted for much longer. I think it was Goodnight Sweetheart but memory is now playing tricks. Can anyone out there confirm the song and the artist?

John G
Jgoheen

Postby ttony_at » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:07 pm

Wow, thank you for finding the 'Memory Lane' song and posting it!
I used to listen to Jack Cullen's three shows (Owl Prowl, Network Replay, 98 Memory Lane,) on CKNW from around 1983 to approximately the year 2000 on CKST AM 1040. Every night. He was on CKST 1040 for only a few months and did not do the 98 Memory Lane show. And so I had always assumed the tune had been recorded by CKNW and the reason why he couldn't use it 1040. I had searched for several years for the title online and could find it because I had assumed the title
was 'take a trip down to memory lane'. I never though to try removing the word 'down'. And had no idea it was the Ray Charles singers who did it. It is so nice to hear the whole version. When Jack played it, he'd only play the last 49 seconds of it.
Listing to this song's ending, I expect Jack to come on and say, "And good a evening this is Jack Cullen..."
Tony
ttony_at

Postby hagopian » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:29 pm

The man was a giant in our Industry and I wish I had met him more than just the once.

This guy was the real deal - very unique and a handful for CKNW managers, I am sure.

I am glad that this is here. This is a big part of Vancouver Radio History.

Thanks so much.
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:30 pm

Radiofan; Thank you for posting the full version of the song along with Jack's intro. I enjoyed listening to both items.

Still with 'NW but a different program : "NW had a Sunday morning comedy program "Just 'for Fun" (?) - I think that is the shows title.... My question is was there a theme for that program?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Radio Station History