NEW CTV Booth Announcer?

A place to post your bitch or rant about anything that's not radio related

NEW CTV Booth Announcer?

Postby bigbry » Wed May 29, 2013 2:05 pm

This has been bugging me for about a month now and I've gotta VENT. CTV has hired a new national booth announcer. He's a young sounding guy. I'm sure they thought they'd try to connect with the 18-49. Is it just me or does he sound like he's taking a crap to get every word out. He's about as natural as laminate flooring. Out of all the great voices in this country and at CTV...this is what they came up with? He must have pictures of CTV management with a goat or something. I just wish I had a clip to play for everyone but his voice is so irritating my recorder has a nervous breakdown. I sent a comment to CTV but I'm sure it ended up in "WTF file". Your thoughts?
bigbry
Advanced Member

Re: NEW CTV Booth Announcer?

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Wed May 29, 2013 3:14 pm

My first thought is; what happened with Lee Marshall? This was his gig for the past decade or two.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm

bigbry wrote:This has been bugging me for about a month now and I've gotta VENT. CTV has hired a new national booth announcer. He's a young sounding guy. I'm sure they thought they'd try to connect with the 18-49. Is it just me or does he sound like he's taking a crap to get every word out. He's about as natural as laminate flooring. Out of all the great voices in this country and at CTV...this is what they came up with? He must have pictures of CTV management with a goat or something. I just wish I had a clip to play for everyone but his voice is so irritating my recorder has a nervous breakdown. I sent a comment to CTV but I'm sure it ended up in "WTF file". Your thoughts?

if your comment was worded as constructively as your post was here I'm sure it did end up in the WTF file. Why not just ask as a nice person hey who's the new booth announcer - you might actually get the response you're looking for.
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Wed May 29, 2013 4:06 pm

It sounds like the same young sounding guy that CTV Calgary has, And he is definitely no Lee Marshall.Global has some new voice I've noticed on national promo's.They seem to have got rid of the last person who was Global's voice for quite some time.
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby hagopian » Wed May 29, 2013 4:55 pm

The new CTV Booth announcer is what we used to call "affected". He sounds like garbage.
Lee was a pro.
MAROONS. The whole business is run by Maroons!
hagopian
Advanced Member

Postby former tv guy » Wed May 29, 2013 6:52 pm

hagopian wrote:The new CTV Booth announcer is what we used to call "affected". He sounds like garbage.
Lee was a pro.
MAROONS. The whole business is run by Maroons!

maybe the name of the website should be changed to radio bitterness
former tv guy
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Wed May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

former tv guy wrote: maybe the name of the website should be changed to radio bitterness

An ongoing and unnecessary theme.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby isthisthingon » Wed May 29, 2013 7:22 pm

isthisthingon wrote:
former tv guy wrote: maybe the name of the website should be changed to radio bitterness

Good call. It's an ongoing and unnecessary theme.
isthisthingon
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed May 29, 2013 8:04 pm

It's cheapdom again.
Lee did the job and did it extremely well for many years.
But pros demand to be paid a living wage.
Again, you get what you pay for.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby scott s. » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:36 pm

Different management, different views. It's all very subjective. Even saying someone is crap is subjective, unless you can come up with a detailed analogy of why the person is crap.

CBC had Bob Boving for years. He was "god" at the CBC, then they dropped him for different talent. Like anything, sometimes someone changes it up.

Global had Todd Schick I'd say until recently. He was young sounding and not a bad read at all. Young and hip. He splits the VO of "Food Factory" with a female...I forget her name.

I'll have to pay more attention to the new CTV talent. I'm so used to hearing Lee, I really never noticed. I can see people thinking Lee is a bit dated and old school. That's not meant to knock Lee at all, he certainly has a great read, and does a fantastic Job as the new :Tony The Tiger" when Thurl Ravenscroft died, but most US network promo talent I've heard are more young and even light compared to the "balls to the wall" deep voiced VO talent that previous owned the landscape. You listen to Ben Patrick Johnson on a Fox promo, and he's not that heavy, but he's got a unique style and color in his delivery that cuts through nicely.

Money could certainly be a part of it. Technology seems to have changed the landscape to the point where anyone wiht a internet connection and mic and a computer thinks he can be a "VO artist". Some are even giving themselves away for virtually nothing. You can only do that so long.
scott s.

Postby jawbone » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:35 pm

Why do I have this feeling that the people who complain about a ' booth' announcer are the same people who would complain about an anchor changing their hair style?
jawbone
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Maybe try Scott Roberts at CTV Vancouver? Anyone who tells the country's second largest English-speaking market that there's flooding along southeastern Germany's "Duh - noob'" River (~6.10 p.m. Sat 1 June) can't be all bad...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:07 pm

I rest my case.
You get what you pay for.
One of the clients of a production company for which I worked objected to the price I charge for doing the voice-tracks of instructional videos.
The client elected to go with "somebody cheaper."
A panicked call from the production company the day they were trying to put together the product asked if I could do the job, rush and get it back to them soonest.
Needless to say, the "triple a**hole" rate, charged back to the client, kicked in.
The companies for which I work doing this kind of thing give me the freedom to correct grammar and syntax in every script they send me and often, it's pretty much a complete re-write job before I key on the mic.
Standards that used to be required to get hired in the first place have been sinking quickly.
Anyone remember taking the CBC announcer's test back in the day?
A long list of words including foreign ones such as place names and I remember you only were allowed two errors before they said: "NEXT!"
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Mgough » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:22 pm

I just stumbled across this post as I am a former radio Promotions Director in Calgary and wanted to say thanks for the laugh. My husband is the new voice of CTV (and not necessarily what you assume... He's quite successful and well respected in the industry, voicing stuff for CBS, the voice of Lifetime, E!, Nickelodeon, and more in the states).

The part that made me laugh was the bit about him sounding like he's taking a crap. As his wife, I can assure you there are no secrets... And I have never heard him sound like he does in the booth as he does in the bathroom.

Thanks again :)
Mgough

Return to The Bitchin' Post