Long Gone Commercial Tag Lines .....

Bits and Pieces of BC Radio History

Long Gone Commercial Tag Lines .....

Postby Tape Splicer » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:43 pm

It's funny what pops into ones head at the most unexpected times. While traveling home from White Rock today a couple of "commercial ear worms " started rattling around the old cranium ...Do you remember these jingles or tag lines?

"Dollar 49 day Woodward's, dollar 49 day Tuesday." is probably remembered by the greatest number of RW posters and readers.... other lines that I heard in my head....

"There's not a single suit, There's not a single suit, There's not a single suit for sale at Murry Goldmans"

"Honest Nat's Department Store 48th and Fraser, Honest Nat's will sell you more 48th and Fraser."

" Your haberdasher must be Fred Asher"

The last business that crossed my mind was "Broadway credit clothiers" I cant remember if they had a jingle or tag line with their commercials ...

Can any one else add to this list or have audio of these advertisers that might be posted?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Re: Long Gone Commercial Tag Lines .....

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 pm

Call to MORROW for your oil today!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:25 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:The last business that crossed my mind was "Broadway credit clothiers" I cant remember if they had a jingle or tag line with their commercials ...

Weren't they "...50 short paces west of Main, Vancouver." ?
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:28 pm

That sounds right Cam ...
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Donald R » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:10 am

Super Valu - I dig the gal at check-out number three.....
Donald R
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:39 am

Donald R wrote:Super Valu - I dig the gal at check-out number three.....

Donald; Here is a link to the Super-Valu jingle from the "Airchecks and Jingles" featured section of RadioWest.... (Scroll down below the recent posts to find this section) http://www.radiowest.ca/sound/supervalu3.mp3
This link will take you to other featured highlights .....
http://www.radiowest.ca/sound.html
With the following link you'll be able to explore more audio from RadioWest... enjoy.
viewforum.php?f=65
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:45 am

That Musgrove Ford "Whatever It Takes" jingle was also used by Percival Mercury in Regina.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am

The Super-Valu "I like the Girl at Checkout Number Three" jingle was written by the late Bill Smith...
A star of the "Johnny Canuck's Review" cast at the BBC in London during WWII... he was also credited
with having written "Two - Two - Two Mints in One" ... and the even more famous "When you eat
your Smarties, Do you eat the red ones last?"...
Served as a BCIT Broadcasting Instructor before retiring to pursue his love for riding horses...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:44 pm

Living in Greater Vancouver until just before my 22nd birthday, I certainly have many, many jingles etched into my brain.

But the one that opens this thread really stands out, not just for the actual jingle, but the way that the advertising agency and/or Woodward and/or CKNW had it scheduled. Because the jingle was so short, it would pop up almost anywhere, even with no commercials around it, which allowed the number of times an hour to be much more than any other spot. A true "Saturation Buy".

I also remember there being two versions: the standard "Tuesday" one, and a "To-Day" one that ran on $1.49 day itself.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Toomas Losin » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:28 pm

Tape Splicer wrote:"Dollar 49 day Woodward's, dollar 49 day Tuesday." is probably remembered by the greatest number of RW posters and readers....

The "$1.49 day, Tuesday" part is all that I remember but I heard it often on my parents' radio when I was a wee li'l kid. I might not even have started school yet. Does anyone know when that advertising was dropped?

That might be the oldest advertising that I can remember. The only other contender is a Jolly Green Giant ad on TV that I definitely saw before starting school!
Toomas Losin
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:14 pm

Bill Smith was one of the nicest fellows one would like to meet. His attention to the creative details of a commercial script are lacking in too many of the spots that run on radio and TV today.... Mind you that was then and this is now.... two different audiences.

Can anyone recall which agency Bill worked for?
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Woodwards and Honest Nat's unearthed ...

Woodwards $1.49 Day Tuesday

Honest Nat's Department Store, 48th and Fraser

Thanks to Larry "Firedog" Morton for sharing these two pieces of Vancouver Radio and Retailing history ....
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks Larry "Firedog" Morton and Radiofan for satisfying my "ear worm"... It was nice to hear these old jingles again...
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:19 pm

Interesting fact: $1.49 Day was not, in the early years, on Tuesday in Edmonton.

And, other stores ran $1.49 Day sales, too.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tape Splicer » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:42 pm

Jon; My bride tells me that Eaton's had a $1.49 day and Woolco had a $1.44 day sales....
Tape Splicer
Advanced Member

Next

Return to BC Radio History