John Barton passes

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

John Barton passes

Postby radiofan » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Longtime Red Deer, Edmonton, Toronto, Vancouver and Victoria broadcaster John Barton has passed away at age 82 in Victoria.

BC Radio History Bio and Pics
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: John Barton passes

Postby CubbyCam » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:32 pm

So sorry to hear this news. John was my first morning DJ at CKWX in 1966 (or should I say I was John's morning news guy). Later, when John was host of CTV's quiz show "What's the Good Word?" Marilyn and I were a team and won everything but the cameras and the lights... nothing to do with John's connection with me. :-) He was a super talented and very classy man, and I learned a lot from him back in the day. My condolences to his family and friends. Another one of the great ones gone. Enjoy every day folks.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:33 pm

Cubs, you said it. I always admired John Barton. Smooth, talented and, as you said, a really nice fellow.

RadioFan and I were talking and I was lamenting the fact that many of the people that we all listened to and admired are leaving.

It makes you realize, how fast this all goes.

Condolences to Mr. Barton’s Family and his many friends.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:23 pm

John Barton was extremely well known in Edmonton, too, though in an earlier time. In the 1950s, he was Morning Man first at CFRN-AM, then at CHED, with a couple of years in between as PD at CKRD Red Deer. He wasn't part of the original CHED 1954 air staff, but arrived soon after to become Morning Mayor. In 1959, he switched to Sales (National Sales Manager), still at CHED, and turned over the Morning Mayor reins to John Dolan, during the station's first Top 40 era.

Jim Archibald, known on-air as Jim Roberts, checked in earlier this afternoon, and reports that John died "after a long battle with leukaemia." He also mentioned that Jim's wife, the legendary CFRN Receptionist from 1960 to 1995 known as "Nonie", was John's cousin.

Here is John's EdmontonBroadcasters.com station chronology:

John Barton - Evenings/weekends while in high school CKRD Red Deer AB 1949-51; morning host CFRN Edmonton 1951-53; Program Manager CKRD 1953-55; The Morning Mayor CHED Edmonton 1955-59; National Sales Manager CHED 1959-64; morning host CKWX Vancouver and CHAN-TV Vancouver game show voice-overs 1964-69; morning host CHFI-FM Toronto 1969-71; Program Manager CJOR Vancouver 1971-73; daily one-hour talk show host and CTV Game Show host What's The Good Word? and Hot Hands early to late 1970s; morning host/weekends CKDA Victoria 1973-76; host daily one-hour talk show Barton & Company CHEK-TV Victoria 1976-82; Creative Director Copeland Communications Victoria 1982-92. Retired 1992, moving to Qualicum Beach 1994; book illustrator and drawing teacher Malaspina College Parksville and The Old School House Qualicum current. Born in Saskatoon.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Thompson » Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:08 pm

What a "Class Person". In my time on the central island I have come to know John. He was a large part of a morning coffee group we had going. I visited with him a number of times after he moved back to Victoria from Qualicum Beach a year or so ago. Thank you John for all you were. You will be, or should I say, are already missed.
My sincerest condolences to his family.
Patrick
Thompson

Postby Jack Bennest » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:48 pm

John Barton hired me at CJOR - he was PD at the time.

Sorry to hear the news. Great guy. Nice vocal presentation.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:59 pm

An obituary has now been published.

I have preserved it, including a colour version of the black and white photo that appears in the print copy of the paper, here:
http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/col ... rton-john/
jon
Advanced Member

Postby AlBarts » Sat May 10, 2014 12:21 pm

Hi,
I wanted to thank everyone for their comments. I am John's youngest son, Alan. My dad's passing has of course been painful, but reading what everyone has had to say, has made this time far easier to cope with. Thank you so much. I know he would be happy knowing just how much he meant to each of you...and vice versa.
Alan
AlBarts

Postby jon » Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:29 pm

NWBroadcasters.com includes information on an upcoming Celebration of Life for John Barton:
A celebration of life has now been announced for Vancouver and Victoria radio broadcaster and TV game show host John Barton, who died April 5 in Victoria at age 82. It is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday, August 9 at the Rotary Welsh Park, at 2949 West Island Highway, Qualicum Beach. He was the morning host at CKWX Vancouver in the mid 1960s and program manager at CJOR Vancouver in the early '70s before moving to Victoria to host mornings at CJVI and the talk show Barton & Company on CHEK-TV during the 1970s.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History