Heartbleed Virus

News, discussion and questions about technology and computers, whether broadcast-related or not.

Re: Heartbleed Virus

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:45 pm

Jon, thanks for the reminder.

I was just reading that this is a lot worse than we were led to believe.

For gosh sakes, radio heads, heed Jon’s warning....also check to see if you have been breeched if you use Bank apps, and your Credit Cards. If you have an Android device - it could get ugly.

I find it disturbing that allegedly, NSA knew of this leak for two years and yet said nothing.

Swell.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:19 pm

Wow, you have the time to worry about alleged things?

I heard the 900 thing on the radio here this morning. 900 out of how many Million?
And, yes, I've had my credit card compromised so I know what a hassle it can be, but I don't lose sleep over it.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:52 pm

I feel your pain.

I have had terrible problems with identity theft, so perhaps I have a case of the yips.....but, I don’t think this is a small deal. BUT, that said, I am no expert.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:32 pm

Perhaps I should post some IP addresses of known servers that go looking for holes... these scumbags troll the network using a collection of server machines, and do what is called a slow port scan. A port is used to transmit/receive with. When they find one that is open, then they look to see what can be done with it. This unwanted traffic is a daily occurance, and anybody with an internet connection can monitor these rogue servers. Most companies don't even turn this ability on, when their running software can track the connection attempts. Tracking these things and providing the tracking logs to your ISP's security department can be useful in shutting them down. If one hundred people complain rather than one person, the ISP gets an idea of what is happening.

The only way to guarantee any kind of secure connection is to use a `callback' design. The user logs in with a username and password, and then the receiving server decides to call back the connection after verification. This can't be done with a web browser because web browsers only work in one direction, and don't maintain a fixed connection. This callback concept is not perfect because someone with enough tech insider knowledge could get around it, but it is 99% better than what is being used now.
PMC

Postby PMC » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm

I did a look at my firewall log and this morning, this IP address 141.212.121.81 did a hit on port 443 , the SSL port and the same port number that CRA is talking about.

The IP address traces back to here University of Michigan College of Engineering UMICH-8 (NET-141-212-0-0-2) 141.212.0.0 - 141.212.127.255

Is this a college kid playing games or is this someone using a college system to hide, and do dirty deeds. I have no authority, or any actual time, to investigate this. My bet is that an outsider and has found his way into their system and is using it.
PMC

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:41 pm

Greetings Everyone,
Not good. But at least they are using Canada Post to communicate! Or is it by courier services? I doubt it! Hope they find who is responsible for doing this!
Thanks for mentioning this Jon.

73s Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to Computer & Technology News