London Jury finds Vancouver Town's Rolf Harris Guilty

London Jury finds Vancouver Town's Rolf Harris Guilty

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:55 am

Well-known to Vancouverites during the 1960s when he spent a lot of time here in the city, veteran entertainer Rolf Harris has been found guilty of indecently assaulting four girls.

The 84-year-old was convicted of 12 attacks between 1968 and 1986. One of the alleged victims was a childhood friend of his daughter, Bindi.

During his seven-week trial, prosecutors portrayed Harris as a "Jekyll and Hyde" character, who had a dark side to his personality.

See The Telegraph at: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... abuse.html
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Re: London Jury finds Vancouver Town's Rolf Harris Guilty

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:56 pm

This truly is sad.
I worked with and got to know and like him in the '60s when he was touring BC.
I did several shows with him which were promoted by Walter Gray and Bob Hall of CKOV in Kelowna and spent a few hours with all of them at the bar in the old Eldorado Hotel.
He was an amazingly funny and bright human being.
I guess it proves that you really can never know everything about anyone.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:01 am

Well... Rolf Harris certainly won't be paying any return visits to "Vancouver Town" any time soon...

He'll be spending the next five years and nine months behind bars... if he makes it that far... as he's already 84....

See:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... onths.html
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 pm

And it looks as if his victims will get most of his 11 million pound fortune, judging by pending lawsuits.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:And it looks as if his victims will get most of his 11 million pound fortune, judging by pending lawsuits.

Good. Let's not forget they're victims of a pervert.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:32 am

I started a thread on this and was spanked for not knowing it had already been started sorry.... I'll ask here.

First.. I'm not making light of this. I am personally...for lack of a better word..."Hurt" as I have been a fan of his since I was a kid listening to Jake the Peg in Vancouver Town on mom's 8 track. Met him in the Hyatt Hotel lobby..went to see him twice... It's very sad to me. However it has raised a question in my mind.

Do we play his music? Many programmers dropped Cat Stevens after his (misconstrued) thoughts on Salman Rushdie. Some people dropped Barenaked Ladies after the cocaine/hooker thing with the former singer, and so on. How will you feel if you hear 6 White Boomers this Christmas? That was a part of so many of my elementary school Christmas assemblies I can't imagine...

Thoughts?
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Famous stars with wandering hands because they think their fame allows them to get away with it is nothing new. If it's true, then Harris is certainly not alone in this trait...

However, at the same time the same Court system has given Andy Coulson .. former News of the World editor and then Prime Minister David Cameron's Communications Director -- found guilty of conspiracy to intercept thousands of Voice-mails in Britain's phone-hacking scandal -- a mere 18 month sentence behind bars.

An 84 year old with wandering hands gets six years... A news paper editor and former PM's Press Boss gets 18 months for invading the phone privacy of hundreds gets 18 months..

Equal Justice?
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:43 pm

I guess tying Harris to a tree in the outback would be deemed cruel and inhuman punishment.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:28 pm

Human nature.

I guess that is my answer because I have seen this "not perfect" syndrome in me, my family, my neighbours, my peers.

WB used to say "for the grace of God go I".

Most families will be touched with something that is not normative. I won't give you all those possibilities but think about
do you live in a perfect world with a perfect family?

I am not an apologist for Harris or that other British guy but I do know one important thing:

Get it over it. :salute:
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:40 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Human nature.

I guess that is my answer because I have seen this "not perfect" syndrome in me, my family, my neighbours, my peers.

WB used to say "for the grace of God go I".

Most families will be touched with something that is not normative. I won't give you all those possibilities but think about
do you live in a perfect world with a perfect family?

I am not an apologist for Harris or that other British guy but I do know one important thing:

Get it over it. :salute:

I wouldn't suggest using that for a re-election slogan

"If you're a victim of sexual abuse, Get over it"
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:03 pm

I said get it over it (my misteak)
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:21 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:I said get it over it (my misteak)

And that makes no sense whatever.

Love these people who say they're not apologists and then go on to try and 'explain' the behaviour. It may amount to a life sentence, which is fine by me.

Oh, and when WB supposedly said 'for the grace of God go I', I'm pretty sure he wasn't talking about the possibilty of being a sexual predator.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby slowhand » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:43 pm

I'm sure a lot of people in Britain would have preferred that Rolf Harris' trial be held behind closed doors, out of the prying eyes of the Media. Don't speak ill of the dead is still a popular saying in Britain that reflects most Brits' preference that the horrendous acts of Jimmy Savile never see the light of day.

Without this coming out in the open as it has, it would just be too easy for the British people to slip back into their habit of being unwilling to hold those in a position of respect responsible for their actions like everyone else is. Watch an old British movie and you're likely to see a joke made of someone in a position of respect being transferred to another town for abusing children.

This isn't just a British problem. Big Rock Candy Mountain was a Big Band hit 70 years ago and it covers the same territory. The British are just a few years behind on facing up to this issue.
slowhand
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:55 pm

Fillinguy wrote:I started a thread on this and was spanked for not knowing it had already been started sorry.... I'll ask here.

First.. I'm not making light of this. I am personally...for lack of a better word..."Hurt" as I have been a fan of his since I was a kid listening to Jake the Peg in Vancouver Town on mom's 8 track. Met him in the Hyatt Hotel lobby..went to see him twice... It's very sad to me. However it has raised a question in my mind.

Do we play his music? Many programmers dropped Cat Stevens after his (misconstrued) thoughts on Salman Rushdie. Some people dropped Barenaked Ladies after the cocaine/hooker thing with the former singer, and so on. How will you feel if you hear 6 White Boomers this Christmas? That was a part of so many of my elementary school Christmas assemblies I can't imagine...

Thoughts?

I wouldn't find any reason not to play "Six White Boomers" ... It's a 50+ year old staple. Likewise, I wouldn't quit playing cuts from Phil Spector's Christmas album because he's now a convicted murderer.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Fillinguy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:12 am

good point on Spector!

Based on past actions mentioned I'm surprised no one picked up on Mr Spector's conviction. Then again He was not really so relevant by then.
Fillinguy
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Non Radio Related Topics