Phillip closes the Till

Radio News from British Columbia

Phillip closes the Till

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:36 pm

Date: 2 July, 2014 10:50:51 AM PDT

Subject: Philip Till

This morning I received a letter from Philip Till announcing his retirement.

Philip has had a storied career at CKNW and has helped capture some of the most defining moments for our audience over the last 25 years. As a host, interviewer, storyteller, editorialist and friend, Philip has been an essential part of CKNW's fabric.

Philip has covered stories that have literally changed the path of history in a unique and compelling manner. His coverage of the Exxon Valdez, Princess Diana's death and the aftermath of 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina still resonate today.

Please join me in wishing Philip all the best in the future and thank him for his amazing contribution to CKNW.

Philip's last show will be broadcast on July 31st.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Phillip closes the Till

Postby Howaboutthat » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:38 pm

Can't help but wonder if this is a 'forced' retirement.
He probably discovered that he wasn't going to be offered a package like the others, so decided to pull the plug on himself and the amateur hour that place has become.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:43 pm

I for one shall miss Philip Till's voice on 'NW. However, the morning show was never a good fit for him. The McComb-Till years were the pinnacle. They made for a great news team. Still miss that World News Quiz every Friday night at 7:05 pm. I managed to win so many times that it lead promotions to bring in a winners' registry and for a while I was actually banned from competing.

Before Till surfaced at 'NW he would appear occasionally as a fill-in for Fred Kennedy, another NBC reporter who had a regular gossip session that ran in the noon hour if I recall correctly. It always started off with "As I said to Liz (Elizabeth Taylor) just the other day...".

I salute Philip Till. I don't suppose we'll ever again hear radio references to Columbus Meats or Bosa Foods or horse meat and stuffed goose.

As others have noted, it may be the end of an era. AM radio is fast disappearing all over the world.

Regards to Peregrine the Butler.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:39 am

Till at The Dog... Daly and Coxford at Global ... McCardell at Global last year... among others...

Legitimate retirements... or do I smell Ageism?...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:10 pm

No...expensiveism.
Older experienced employees cost money.
The corpse hate that.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver