Fred Latremouille passes...

Radio News from British Columbia

Fred Latremouille passes...

Postby CubbyCam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm still in a state of shock. Just learned of the passing of Fred Latrimouille a few minutes ago. Few details available, but he had been very ill for the last several months... and his most recent posting on FaceBook indicated that he'd been to the doctor who told him if he didn't quit drinking (wine) he'd be taking a "dirtnap" before the year was out. I'm at a loss for words, but my deepest condolences go out to Cathy and the family. Fred was one of my idols.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Re: Fred Latrimouille passes...

Postby CubbyCam » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Sorry... misspelled Fred's last name... it's Latremouille.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Wow, I'm really sadly surprised, too. Especially since I hadn't heard that he had health problems.

With 10 seconds of thought, here are the big things I remember about Fred:
  1. His "floppy 45" from the mid-1960s, where he sang a credible medley of a couple of '50s hits;
  2. Chief Raunchy Wolf;
  3. His CBC Saturday Afternoon Show that was the first to bring CKLG-FM style music to the network, at least in Vancouver, especially him playing the then-brand new Pink Floyd album cut that had the longest title in the group's history;
  4. Doing the CFUN Morning Show Live from China with a large group of listeners who won the trip.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:10 pm

I'm kind of in shock too....he wasn't that old. Condolences to his wife? partner Cathy B. He was always a class act any time I interacted with him....a sad day for Vancouver radio.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:15 pm

I'm just sick.

I was Fred's Brother in Law at one point and he was a friend for 40 years.

The passing of one of the greatest jocks that ever lived.

I don't know what else to say. I mean, how do I sum up CKLG, CFUN, KISS....Fred.////? Impossible.

Tis' is a dark day at my home and I will miss you Fred.

I wish we had a chance to say goodbye to each other.

That will haunt me the rest of my life.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:21 pm

I was so shocked - apologies - Condolences to my old pal Cathy Baldazzi - Fred's Mom, Kelly and his Family and the rest of the clan.

I know Fred had been ill for a while and he had been struggling.

The next RPM will be a wake.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Holy ----! That's a major shock!

Godspeed Fred. Rest in Peace.
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Muzik » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:44 pm

This is Sad news...Wow I never seen this coming and like everyone else here I am in shock.Another gone to early. I'll be listening to Freddie air checks tonite and remembering. Might have some TV clips as well. RIP Fred!
Muzik
Advanced Member

Postby Firedog » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:53 pm

Being a long time listener to Fred Latremouille (Latrimo), I am saddened to hear that he has passed away. I first heard Fred when he joined C-FUN in January 1964. As Jon mentioned, his Hilroy flexi-disc (Tossin' And Turnin'/Mashed Potato) was available in August 1965. In October 1965, Fred joined CKLG and in April 1970 was with CKVN. Fred and Cathy made a great team on 97-Kiss especially with the "Wake Up In" dial in contests. We were one of the seventh callers and found ourselves waking up in Munich, Germany. We also bought on to the Fiji and big Island of Hawaii trips. Fred and Cathy were always approachable during these trips yet they still had time to do their own thing.

Our condolences go out to Cathy and family at this sad time.
We are running in, when everybody else is running out.
Firedog
Advanced Member

Postby cart_machine » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:49 pm

Just talked to Wayne Cox, who's in Scottsdale. Cathy needs a bit of time to herself before there's any decision about a memorial service.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Eldon-Mr.CFAY » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:27 pm

Greetings, Very sorry to hear this. Sad indeed and surprised like everyone else. I did not know he was having any health problems at all. Fred was one of my favorte djs on Vancouver radio when I was growing up as a teenager. I listened to him on LG 73 and CFUN and really enjoyed his programs a lot. He will definitely be missed . I remember applying for a job at I think CJYR 970 in Edson, Alberta years ago back in the 1970s and I think it was the program director at the time Chuck Benson (a great guy) who told me that he worked with or hired Fred at CKYL 610 years before (I think it was Fred's first radio job). That would be CKYL 610 Peace River, Alberta. I have no airchecks or photos of Fred on CKYL surveys from back then though. However my memories of him on the air started with CKLG and CFUN in the 1960s in Vancouver radio.

My deepest condolences to Fred's wife Cathy and entire family.. He will be missed but definitely not forgotten. One of the top djs from Vancouver radio in my opinion!

All the best! From Eldon
Bye . . Mr. CFAY "Frequently On The Frequency"
The CFAY Website: http://cfayradio.wordpress.com
CFAY Radio: http://tinyurl.com/l9qqmh
Eldon-Mr.CFAY
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:40 pm

What a shock to hear about Fred today. I knew there had been some health issues ... but I didn't expect this.

Many of us hear grew up listening to Fred on CFUN in 1964 and 1965 ... In late '65 he made the move to CKLG ... The Legendary Chief Rauncy Wolf! He hosted Dance Party on Channel 8 and Let's Go! on CBC-TV..

If I remember correctly, he left CKLG in 1967 or early 1968 to be editor at The Georgia Straight ... he ran The Sirqus Shop on Seymour Street for a time.

In 1970, he was at CKVN when it returnrf to Top 40 music. Through the 70's, he was back and forth between CKLG and CFUN, along with a stop at BCTV as The News Hour Weather Guy.

In the 80's and 90's, it was Fred and Cathy on CFUN and KISS-FM ...

What a talent! RIP my friend. Condolences to Cathy and Fred's family.

From the musical side of Fred, you might remember his 1965 hit single (along with the CFUN Classics ... "Latromotion" ...
Fred Latremouille - Latromotion

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:45 pm

From an April 2010 post elsewhere on the RW site ....

Sometimes you have to wait a few years to finally get a copy of a song that you never got a copy of because you
didn't have a tape recorder at the time and casette machines were not all that common ... The song in question
was never pressed on vinyl .. the 'play' copy of it was likely on an old Fidelapac cartridge. CKLG Boss Jocks Fred
Latremouille and Roy Hennessy recorded a parody of the Rolling Stones' "Ruby Tuesday" .. it was called "Grubby
Thursday" .. Fred and Roy became FROYED and their song got lots of airplay on CKLG in the spring of 1967.

A year later, someone had tape rolling when Daryl B played "Grubby Thursday" as a CKLG Golden! That tape found
it's way to fellow radio historian OWEN COPPIN at Rock 101 some 40 years later. Thanks to Owen for sharing this
memory with us here at RadioWest,ca!

GRUBBY THURSDAY - Froyed

We're still on the lookout for copies of Roy Hennessy's earlier parodies .. The first was "Vancouver Creep", which
was a parody of Roger Miller's "Kansas City Star" and also from 1965 "Mrs Badbreath You've Got A Rotten Daughter",
which was Roy's version of "Mrs Brown You've Got A Lovely Daughter" by Herman's Hermits. If you have copies of
these, we'd love to get copies!
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:52 pm

Just saw on TV

Was it not a few days ago when we chatted on FB?

Might be a longer period but who is counting

Nice guy - tremendous personality/voice - at the top of his game on radio.

Will miss Fred. 68? Hard to believe.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Fred Latremouille passes...

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:26 pm

I posted a story on my blog

Global keeps saying 68 - closer to 70 as he was born in 1945

www.oliverdailynews.com
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia