CTV vs Global News

News from the world of Television

CTV vs Global News

Postby tuned » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:36 pm

I haven't watched either newscast for a long time but last night I switched back and forth between the two. I grew up on Tony Parson and BCTV's total domination of the supper hour newscast. Things have changed although in one area they haven't. The current Global presentation looks cheap and very low rent. Basically a cheezy virtual set. CTV on the other hand looks like BCTV used to look. A proper set that looks the part of a major market newsroom. However where Global beats CTV hands down is with on air talent. The reporters on Global compared to CTV are night and day. Lots of lightweights on CTV and much more seasoned, experienced talent on Global. I just can't warm up to the people that CTV puts on the air. They seem nice enough but they don't have "it" for the most part. Just my opinion...
tuned
Advanced Member

Re: CTV vs Global News

Postby crs » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:00 pm

i also have been sampling the wares of CTV News at Six and must say the product is superior to what Global BC is offering. What's really killed it for me with Global is three fold. First CTV will give you the goods on what's happening in the first segment which usually runs 12 minutes; Global tends to space the top stories of the day over a half hour or more with the teaser "coming up". Anytime I hear that phrase, I know the story won't be on for another half hour. The second point that ruins the Global product is the "over the top" happy talk. It's like Chris, Sophie, weathercaster of the day and Squire have to spend copious amounts of time honing their stand-up comedy skills. Over on CTV News at Six, while they DO have happy talk it doesn't drag on and on and on. The third point is the quality of the on-air product....smooth, tight transitions. CTV has Global beat there by a country mile. As far as reporters, both have good quality ones, but I get the feeling the ones on CTV are being critiqued whereas the ones on Global are either not being critiqued or ABOVE being critiqued. If you haven't checked out CTV News at Six, give it a whirl and add your two cents worth here. :groovy:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:37 pm

I agree with all of your points on CTV but I just don't like their on air talent. Norma Reid? Shannon Paterson? Tamara Taggart? Mike Kileen? They are a B team compared to Chris Gallus, Randene Neill, John Daly, Sophie Lui. I'm not a fan of "happy talk" and on both stations it's painful to watch.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:59 pm

Agreeing with crs on this one. Global's News Hour is a slow motion train wreck. Lots of technical snafus that simply weren't seen a decade ago.

Mike Killeen and Coleen Christie are easily the class of the field IMO. As crs notes, the CTV news set is far superior to the virtual set offered by Global.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby CVIK » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:50 am

I've recently had a chance to Watch the Global morning show...absolutely terrible.
the new host seems very uninformed about Vancouver and BC...and she can't stop talking over reporters, guests and other personalities.
Fail.
CVIK

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:16 pm

CVIK wrote:I've recently had a chance to Watch the Global morning show...absolutely terrible.
the new host seems very uninformed about Vancouver and BC...and she can't stop talking over reporters, guests and other personalities.
Fail.

Sonia Deol, the new Morning News co-anchor, once worked at the BBC as a reporter and breakfast show host. If she learned the bad habit of talking over others (a common bad habit among anchors, reporters and commentators at the US networks as well, especially at CNN and MSNBC) from the Beeb, that's not surprising, but she'll have to break that habit pretty quick if she's going to last at the AM show.
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Postby Makemegohmm » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:16 pm

Sonia is simply terribly annoying to watch and listen to especially with her heavy accent. It took a while now, she's been pulled from the morning cast and she's the late night anchor.

Another two people that I find annoying to listen to are John Daly and Rumina Daya with their heavy annunciation or exaggeration of words. This is why I don't watch Global News much, but I agree with others on Gailus, Neil, Lui, and Barnes.
Makemegohmm

Postby kal » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:38 pm

As noted in other threads on this board, for me Sonia Deol is the best anchor on local television today. A thoroughly professional news reader. Could be a solid replacement for Chris Gailus should the need arise.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Re: Sonia Deol...

anyone know if she is still reading news at Global? Hasn't tweeted since January 9. Not seeing her in the weekend evening slots.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen