Wayne Williams set to retire

Stories and info about those no longer involved in the industry

Wayne Williams set to retire

Postby Jack Bennest » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:14 pm

Penticton's Fire Chief Wayne Williams is set to retire

Did you know Wayne in broadcasting?

Wayne checks in with Radio West now and again and says he notices my comments

Maybe we can say a few nice words and Wayne will (voila) appear. :violent1:

Wayne Williams - CHWK Chilliwack 1978-81; CKLG Vancouver 1982; CFUN Vancouver 1982-2001; CHQM-FM Vancouver 1999-2001; Deputy Fire Chief to 2005 and Fire Chief Penticton Fire Department 2005-current
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Re: Wayne Williams set to retire

Postby cart_machine » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Jack Bennest wrote:Penticton's Fire Chief Wayne Williams is set to retire

Did you know Wayne in broadcasting?

Yeah, I was there when Wayne started. Somewhere, I have a reel of Bruce Pfeifer reading news on Wayne's all-night show before Bruce broke into the business. (Bruce, incidentally, insisted he never stole his own air name from Wayne; his middle name was WIlliam).

Somehow, the idea of a live all-night show, let alone on a 10,000 watt station, seems awfully quaint.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:35 am

Wayne was fun to work with - and wish him a very happy retirement - what a career!

Enjoy the down time, Wayne!
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Same best wishes from myself. A really nice, joyous, never any ego nor drama person.
I always wondered where Wayne landed and now I see he did exactly what he hoped and worked for.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Jack Bennest » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:57 pm

Wayne told me this story yesterday on the steps of the Law Courts.....

I think it was Chilliwack, he met a fireman who said: you could join us. Wayne did. And before long he was hooked.

How he got from a volunteer trainee to top brass at Penticton is a story I will let Wayne tell.
Jack Bennest
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:03 pm

Okay, so this is fun. Here's Chief Wayne Williams on youtube from this past April doing just the sort of PR thing he (..or any of us actually ) might have experienced as a radio personality; taking on a Lime-Sucking Challenge to aid in funding research towards fighting lyme disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrfrfNYdABk

"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby The Wack » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:19 pm

Hi.

Wacky Wayne (Williams) here.

Thanks so much everyone for the kind words. Sorry it took so long for a response but I needed to remember my sign on information that I registered years ago and never used. I have always been a Guest. Now that I have it you may hear more from me.

As Jack mentioned, I regularly check the website and really enjoy staying in the loop and reliving some great memories I have of being in radio. Especially the Jingle and CanCon 45 of the Day. They really make me feel like I am back in the 70s and 80s. RadioWest is a great website.

I was set to make radio my career as early as the 1970's when I had the privilege of driving the Coca Cola Denimachine for CFUN and working with great personalities. I remember calling in from different high schools in the Lower Mainland and having "live" reports on Racoon Carney and Russ McLeod's evening shows (and I was still in high school). I had the opportunity of working with great announcers like Tom Jeffries (thanks for your comment), Tom Lucas, Fred Latremouille, just to name a few. I was just a relief announcer for CFUN (I even had business cards) but everyone at the station treated me like I was a regular. I received a lot of guidance and support not only from the announcers but from all the staff.

I was lucky to get my first full-time start at CHWK (Chilliwack) in 1979 and it was there that I was able to become a member of the Chilliwack Fire Department as a volunteer and that is where I caught the "Fire Bug". That experience helped me get a full-time job with Port Moody Fire Department in 1982. I moved to the Penticton Fire Department in 2001 as Deputy Chief and in 2005 was promoted to Fire Chief. And it is true that, after 35 years in the Fire Service, I am set to retire.

But I must say I have always had a place in my heart for radio! That is probably why I enjoy this website so much because I get to relive those days again. I have missed it terribly and I may just get back to it in some form, in some way, some day.

Now if everything works and you are seeing this post, then I know it was successful and I am sure you will be hearing from me again.

Take Care and Stay Safe.

WAYNE.

P.S. I remember walking into the CKLG studios when Bruce Pfiefer was on the air as Bruce Williams and I joked with him about him using my last name. That is when he told me his middle name was "Willliam". We were good friends and I am glad to have helped him get into the industry. He helped me get into the movie industry (as an usher). Bruce was very talented, and I will miss him.
The Wack

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:46 pm

I am sitting here thinking, again - "where does the time go"?

Wasn't it just a few years ago?......and it was 40 years ago...

Wayne, you were always part of our team because you were enthusiastic, professional and made it clear you loved CFUN as much as any of us.

Take care, pal.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to Radio People History