Stirling Faux is gone from CISL?

Radio News from British Columbia

Stirling Faux is gone from CISL?

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:58 pm

Hearing rumblings that Stirling Faux, who just got some nice numbers for 650CISL, left in a hurry today, and it wasn't a friendly goodbye.

I don't know exact details....but just before Christmas?
Oh, man.

Hang in Stirling!

Have you heard anything?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Stirling Faux is gone from CISL?

Postby jon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:54 pm

As I write this, his page is still there:
http://www.cisl650.com/StirlingFaux.aspx

But any references to him seem impossible to find if you start from the CISL Home Page and wander around.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:00 pm

Jon, do you know what brought this on?

He just had a great book!

Merry Christmas, and always appreciate the posts. Best for 2016.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 pm

No, I haven't heard anything yet. The only comment from Stirling himself on social media has been on Facebook "Left Job at CISL 650, Newcap Radio", which he posted in the last hour or so.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Jon, there is something to this.....and I am so upset, like we all are, that it is Christmas....and Stirling is a real pro, great ratings, good guy.

This business is really bonzo.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:23 pm

His page is gone from CISL website.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby radiofan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:02 pm

So you're the only live personality on an AM station that appeals to adults. Less than two weeks after achieving the best ratings gains the station has seen in years, three days before Christmas, you're terminated?

It's not the voice tracked "shows" or the infomercials that have helped boost CISL's ratings.

Some thought Astral or Standard were heartless places to work. Could you honestly imagine yourself working (and enjoying it) in the Newcap environment?

Merry Christmas and a brighter 2016 to Stirling and Carole.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:30 pm

RadioFan - well put. A lot of people are steamed.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:39 pm

That's garbage. A bunch of beancounters from five thousand miles away have no business even owning a radio station in Vancouver. Even if they were going to "make a change" there is no way someone like Stirling should be treated with anything but the upmost respect. Giving him the bums rush a few days before Christmas is total bullshite. I wouldn't be surprised if he got into it with the Manageress of the Newfie operation. I've tangled with her in the past and don't have a good thing to say about her so I will remain silent. Hope Stirling lands on his feet and that the station suffers.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby AnotherBCRadioFan » Tue Dec 22, 2015 11:44 pm

Sad to see Stirling go.... Now I'm not sure I will listen to Cisl... and CISL was advertising LG1043 today.... which I can't stand because of the repetitiveness.... it should be LB1043... as in LoverBoy.... and Trooper 1043.... nothing against these great bands... but I hear their songs over and over and over again...

I wonder what plans they have....
AnotherBCRadioFan

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:01 am

This is dirty , disgusting and insane !!!
Worked with Stirling at QR in Calgary - true professional all the way -- he got a raw deal here too !
The comments about the beancounters now running radio are right on. Unfortunately most of the people in charge of radio companies these days are totally clueless about this industry. Radiofan is right on - keeping top talent used to be important -- not any more. I don't know how radio can hope to be relevant and successful without great broadcasters . I also don't get how someone can be moved out when the ratings are so good. There must have been some kind of interference from head-office !
A family member used to work for a well-known , 'eastern-based' power company and there were bizarre decisions made on a regular basis -most of them didn't make sense - just like this one involving Stirling. Whoever made this move is out to lunch - give your head a shake! I know Stirling will land on his feet and I wish him and his family all the best .
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:49 am

The way Newcap does business might work in small town Alberta or in the Maritimes.

When it come to Vancouver, they're a square peg in a round hole. Bad investment and a huge debt that will never pay off for this pack of bozos.

Sorry to hear about what happened to Stirling. Maybe his Christmas will actually be brighter knowing he doesn't have to get up at 3:30 AM to go to a job where he was unappreciated.

Anybody working at Newcap Calgary or Newcap Vancouver know what conditions are like because of certain people who have way too much power.

If they can blow out two morning shows within a month of each other, nobody is safe. Keep your resume up to date.

On that positive note, have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. :bigtree:
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby 78rpm » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:54 pm

Stirling filled in for "the ailing Red Robinson" (as he put it) on last Sunday's (Dec.20) Red Rock Diner.
Wondering if Red was really ill, or just "sick" of the BS
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

Postby AnotherBCRadioFan » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:15 pm

A problem with these managers, accountants and east coast managers is that they are unaware of the impact that local talent has. The same is true for western managers for decisions about eastern stations... or even stations in other regions.

I moved from Ontario to BC in '95. I quickly learned through listening to radio here of the local talent who were well known here... Stirling Faux, Red Robinson, Bro Jake, Larry and Willy, Fred and Kathy Latremoille etc...(sorry if I left anyone out... )....but the point is, while a keen listener in Ontario, I had no idea who these people were when I moved here... until I lived here a few years and became aware of the following each had... the same would go for Eastern Canada, down to regional levels (toronto ottawa being completely different local celebrities).

I don't think the managers from elsewhere have any idea of the attachment the listener has to these familiar and friendly voices...... and hence the impact their decisions have on the audience loyalty.
AnotherBCRadioFan

Postby Rich Elwood » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Wow. As previously stated in this thread that radio station had a couple great sets of ratings with Stirling on the morning show. Not since Red Robinson was in the chair out there has the morning show done so well. Stirling is a great broadcaster and a wonderful person.

Too bad. CISL sounded good with Stirling (who has a track record in Vancouver and is very relatable). What now, import some spoon-playing hack from Unemployment Island who'll regale us with uninteresting stories about growing up in a dory.

All the best to you Stirling and to Carole too. You've both weathered some storms. Onward and upward.
Rich Elwood
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia