Winnipeg radio host Dave Wheeler suspended

Radio News from Manitoba

Winnipeg radio host Dave Wheeler suspended

Postby Shawndx » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:26 am

Dave Wheeler, the host of 92 CITI FM's Wheeler in the Morning, has been suspended after two controversial YouTube videos sparked online fury on Monday.

See the CBC report at:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3531655
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Re: Winnipeg radio host Dave Wheeler suspended

Postby Shawndx » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:38 am

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/ ... -1.3533097

Looks like the The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) is now involved in this event. there were dozens of complaints made to the CBSC as well as a protest in front of the station on Tuesday. This has made all the news broadcasts on TV and the radio here in town. Wheeler is now suspended from the station with no date given for his return. There are also calls for people to boycott any company advertising on CITI-FM.
Shawn Axelrod VE4DX1SMA
Winnipeg MB
amandx (@)mymts.net
REMEMBER ON A CLEAR DAY YOU CAN HEAR FOREVER
Shawndx
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:34 pm

Canadians are so soft on free speech. So the guy posted some songs that some people find offensive. Too bad. Of course that's not going to fly with corporate media who don't want to offend anyone and sell lots of ads. The guy shouldn't have apologized and I recommend he finds a new career.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:12 pm

This isn't in any way a free speech issue, or an infringement on his free speech rights.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:35 pm

If it's not about free speech then what's it about? He broadcast some songs that some people found derogatory. I'm sure other people found them entertaining.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:54 pm

How are his free speech rights being infringed upon?

Not in any way.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby tuned » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:30 pm

Sure his free speech rights have been violated. He's been suspended for expressing his opinion. You were the one that said it wasn't a free speech issue so what's the issue? If you can't or won't answer that question the discussion is over.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:41 pm

It just comes down to whether or not you consider the Charter definition of Freedom of Speech to be definitive.

Tighthead would be arguing that given there are no legal ramifications (yet), it isn't a Freedom of Speech issue.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:16 pm

tuned wrote:Sure his free speech rights have been violated. He's been suspended for expressing his opinion. You were the one that said it wasn't a free speech issue so what's the issue? If you can't or won't answer that question the discussion is over.

That isn't in any way an infringement of his rights to free speech. He is allowed to say whatever he wants. His employer is allowed to control the content on the station. Are you saying they are not?

You have no understanding of what constitutes the right to free speech. Here is a hint - being suspended by your employer for saying things is not a free speech issue.

Now explain to me, with specificity, how his constitutional rights have been violated - and don't provide the laughable example of his employer acting in their own interests as a violation. You know better.
Last edited by Tighthead on Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:17 pm

Aaron wrote:It just comes down to whether or not you consider the Charter definition of Freedom of Speech to be definitive.

Tighthead would be arguing that given there are no legal ramifications (yet), it isn't a Freedom of Speech issue.

Would you say it is a freedom of speech issue? How is the government suppressing his freedom?
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:23 pm

Legally, no it isn't.

But again, it's whether or not you consider the Charter definition of "Freedom of Speech" the only relevant one.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:28 pm

Show me an alienate accepted definition and explain how his rights have been violated. Start by enumerating those rights.

What private freedoms does his employer have to govern their business as they see fit, and are those rights compromised by your alternate definition?

Employers have always had the freedom to discipline broadcasters for on air behaviour.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Rogers are well within their rights...no argument there.

*I* don't have an alternate definition, but I do have time for those who argue that corporate power and influence have expanded to the point where Charter rights are starting to lose relevance.

I don't personally agree that this is a "Freedom of Speech" issue, but I'm also not willing to just blindly and pedantically throw around dictionary definitions as though they were handed down by a god.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tighthead » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:44 pm

Aaron wrote:Rogers are well within their rights...no argument there.

*I* don't have an alternate definition, but I do have time for those who argue that corporate power and influence have expanded to the point where Charter rights are starting to lose relevance.

I don't personally agree that this is a "Freedom of Speech" issue, but I'm also not willing to just blindly and pedantically throw around dictionary definitions as though they were handed down by a god.

Please back up your assertions with facts or withdraw your allegation that I am being pedantic. He who asserts must prove.

This is not a freedom of speech issue by any reasonable or accepted definition, and anyone who argues it is (not you) is completely ignorant of what constitutes the right to speak freely.

In what way was I blindly throwing the definition around? I would suggest that I was speaking factually and accurately. Cite for me the occasions on which I used it blindly as per your allegation.
Tighthead
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:03 pm

You asked "How is the government suppressing his freedom?" You're sticking with the idea that only government can define and enforce rights. I think that's pedantic, and that we need to keep our eye on who really has the balance of power.

Still, no alarm bells for me in this case, but let's be aware that there's a difference between "Freedom of Speech" and "freedom of speech."
Aaron
Advanced Member

Next

Return to Manitoba