Changes at QR 77 Calgary

Radio news from Alberta

Changes at QR 77 Calgary

Postby Rocky » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:19 pm

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes at Calgary's QR 77 today. Morning talk host Roger Kingkade was relieved of his on-air duties and left the building without his parking pass and ID card.

Former Wildrose Party leader Danielle Smith swaps chairs with Rob Breakenridge and takes over the 9:30 - 12:30 time slot while Breakenride (without Kingkade) moves to the 12:30 - 3PM slot.

No Stampede Media Pin for Roger this year.
Rocky
Advanced Member

Re: Changes at QR 77 Calgary

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:46 pm

Sadly, this will be a summer of change....and that is always painful.

Best of luck - and have a back up plan......I guess.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:34 am

Does this come as a surprise to anybody? Most thought QR 77 Brand Manager John Vos' job posting to find a replacement for Rutherford was somewhat out to lunch.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12423

I guess it took three years and a sidekick or two to realize John's vision was somewhat blurry.

With recent changes in management, maybe someone's finally seeing through the bullshit and making corrections. How about a PD with some programming experience?
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby Putter » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:39 am

Good riddance.
Putter

Postby rtirdnewsguy » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

You are right 45 RPM-- Danielle may be the answer that Vos has been looking for to get the great ratings and audience response that Dave Rutherford had. She is extremely bright and obviously very well-spoken and even though I may not care about a given topic she is discussing - I find myself listening anyway - she has moved into radio with a solid performance. Don't want to be too harsh but the Vos idea to bring in Kingkade with Breckenridge was very risky and it didn't work. Breckenridge survives by taking Danielle's former PM talk shift and Kingkade is gone. For those a bit familiar with CHQR history - Kingkade is actually Roger Warburton - the son of former QR Sports director Bart Dailley (Warburton ) . Bart was the first Calgary voice of the Flames when the team relocated from Atlanta, but QR was forced by the Flames to fire him after the first season and thats when Peter Maher was hired from the east coast -- many many years ago !
rtirdnewsguy
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:15 pm

Well, retired news guy, why don't you tell the people about Bart Dailey's Montreal connection.

Namely, "I'm Bart Dailey, CKGM Sports" and a newspaper column in the Montreal Sunday Express ! No less ?

http://www.marcdenis.com/ckgm-bart-dailley.htm

Too bad to hear about Roger, he will likely resurface, most of them do !

TRD (un Montrealer, fier!)
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta