Black Wednesday at Corus?

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Black Wednesday at Corus?

Postby xwdcatvb » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:56 pm

kal wrote:Mispronunciations on 'NW news broadcasts are becoming commonplace. A few days ago a news reader took a stab at the word "egregious". After several attempts, the reader gave up. Cringeworthy.

Well, I'm sure we were all caught when reading an item 'cold', but 'egregious' would seem to be a Big Word for radio copy. I wonder what the context/quote was?
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:07 pm

xwdcatvb wrote:
kal wrote:Mispronunciations on 'NW news broadcasts are becoming commonplace. A few days ago a news reader took a stab at the word "egregious". After several attempts, the reader gave up. Cringeworthy.

Well, I'm sure we were all caught when reading an item 'cold', but 'egregious' would seem to be a Big Word for radio copy. I wonder what the context/quote was?

That's what happens when you're not rewriting and using your own words. And unless it was preceeded by a 'This just in...', there is no excuse.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:19 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
xwdcatvb wrote:

That's what happens when you're not rewriting and using your own words. And unless it was preceded by a 'This just in...', there is no excuse.

Probably written by someone who couldn't pronounce "heinous" properly either...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:40 pm

Therefore, don't consider yourself a journalist until your vocabulary is both writeable and readable.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby xwdcatvb » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:51 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:
xwdcatvb wrote:

That's what happens when you're not rewriting and using your own words. And unless it was preceeded by a 'This just in...', there is no excuse.

Ah, that's a Know-It-All response: so you're a one-person news shift, and The Boss wants routinely to do a dual-voice major at 8 am... all hell breaks loose in the world at 7.58, according to what was Broadcast News... and The Boss hits something strange.

Bingo.

And even without the last-minute throw-in, I'm giggling over how those-on-the-air now are handling 'Farage'. Even Brit sources aren't sure, and I don't know either.

Fuh-rahzh'... feh'-ridge... feh'-rage... feh'-rejhzh... feh'-rahzh...
xwdcatvb
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:11 pm

xwdcatvb wrote:Ah, that's a Know-It-All response: so you're a one-person news shift, and The Boss wants routinely to do a dual-voice major at 8 am... all hell breaks loose in the world at 7.58, according to what was Broadcast News... and The Boss hits something strange.

Bingo.

And even without the last-minute throw-in, I'm giggling over how those-on-the-air now are handling 'Farage'. Even Brit sources aren't sure, and I don't know either.

Fuh-rahzh'... feh'-ridge... feh'-rage... feh'-rejhzh... feh'-rahzh...

According to the man himself, however you prefer to pronounce 'Garage'... :-)
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia