CKNW goes off the air, briefly

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW goes off the air, briefly

Postby kal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:36 am

Station puts out this tweet:

CKNW is off-air because of a transmitter issue. Here is how you can still listen: bit.ly/29ZtNWO pic.twitter.com/2CJR3Oeuad

Unfortunately the link provided is a non-existent URL (or it was pulled). The picture is a graphic of a transmitter on a hill.

Ten minutes later the station pout out another tweet:

CKNW is back on the air! Thanks for bearing with us. And as always, you can still listen through our free app, HD radio, or stream us online
kal
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW goes off the air, briefly

Postby kal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:48 am

Interestingly the original tweet from CKNW was retweeted 6 times: at least three of those tweets were from insiders: someone in the news room, the PD and from Jill Krop, who some say is now the ND at 'NW.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:51 am

Hopefully, they were able to fully resolve the transmitter issue. Or, if this is only a temporary solution, have a permanent solution in mind that will require little or no off-air time.

With the Downtown backup transmitter set up for, and running on, 730, it is suddenly less practical to run the backup transmitter on 980 for a extended period of Cloverdale off-air time.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:46 pm

kal wrote:Interestingly the original tweet from CKNW was retweeted 6 times: at least three of those tweets were from insiders: someone in the news room, the PD and from Jill Krop, who some say is now the ND at 'NW.

I wonder how many actual listeners got the tweet? I haven't seen too many blue tooth equipped walkers or scooters around which is the mode of transportation for their big demo.

To whoever posted the graphic on the tweet, NW's transmitter tower isn't atop a mountain (that would be an FM tower).
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:19 pm

Poor Jill Krop.
Stress?
Wow.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:06 pm

Again, to judge by the tweets, or rather retweets, the outage didn't provoke much reaction. That in itself must be troubling for the station management.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:59 pm

kal wrote:Again, to judge by the tweets, or rather retweets, the outage didn't provoke much reaction. That in itself must be troubling for the station management.

I think there is some kind of an investor infomercial on at the time of the outage, so likely there was nobody listening anyway.

A rare kudo from me to NW. Nice to hear Ian Power filling in for Jill Bennett this morning. Jill is a great reporter on Global, but she does lack a comfort zone when it comes to doing a radio show.

The early morning was quite listenable between Ian doing the show and Jeremy Lye doing news. It actually sounded better and more the NW style than many weekday dayparts.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:30 pm

I enjoyed doing weekend mornings, on CKNW for a couple of years, until the Doctor called an end to that.

Glad that Ian is getting lots of work.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia