CBC Cable 3 off air in Vancouver (on Shaw)

News from the world of Television

CBC Cable 3 off air in Vancouver (on Shaw)

Postby kal » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Anyone know what is amiss with CBC Cable 3 on Shaw here in Vancouver. The signal froze at about 10:07 pm this evening, then went to black, the condition it is still in more than twenty minutes later. This is quite unusual in my experience.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: CBC Cable 3 off air in Vancouver (on Shaw)

Postby skyvalleyradio » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:48 am

kal - same thing happened over here just as the 10pm National news began, also noticed TSN off air. We ended up watching the National on CBC Newsworld
skyvalleyradio
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:11 am

Same thing in Edmonton. Clearly a Shaw problem. CBC, Global, CTV2, CBC Newsnet and a bunch of sports feeds all went black shortly after 11. It didn't affect CTV's primary channel or CITY. CBC and Global were fine off my attic antenna. I watched the rest of the news that way and then hit the feathers. No idea when service returned to normal, but all is well this morning.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 am

The cure for shoddy service is to boycott Shaw !

Shaw Cable has become (and has always been?) a greedy behemoth, out of control, corporation, much like the SS Hindenburg, so large and out of control that its "ass" does not know what its elbow is doing ?

I was with Shaw 17 years (1996 to 2013) and every year, constant "out of service" issues took place with our phone line, cable, and internet line.

Finally, we had to fire Shaw, as our providers for phone, internet and cable, since upper management tried desperately to f" me over with their horribly deceptive pricing plans.

I am now with a local company for my internet and telephone service and the service is splendid.

The cost is about the same, BUT, NO interruptions, NONE, for three years !

I am so bloody glad that I don't have to get interrupted or blackmailed by Shaw, anymore !

My question to those of you who got their cable service interrupted, last night, is why do you put up with Shaw and their inferior products ?

Too chicken or lazy to move to a new provider, but also, quick on the draw whenever your Shaw service fails you ? That's hypocrisy.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby mccrady » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:31 pm

Too chicken or lazy to move to a new provider, but also, quick on the draw whenever your Shaw service fails you ? That's hypocrisy.

Quick on the draw? Lazy? Chicken? Really?

Please come down off your horse. I don't believe my post took the form of a whine or complaint. I just related what happened here. I've been around things electronic long enough to know that there's no such thing as a system that never fails.

You weren't happy with Shaw and went with another provider? Fine. Your choice to make.

That has not been my experience. So I'll stay with them until I have a reason to feel differently. That's my choice to make. I'll thank you to respect it.
mccrady
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:06 pm

I have been with Shaw (here in the Vancouver area) since the beginning, back to when it was Rogers providing cable and Internet service here.

I can't recall a TV outage of this type. In fact it is very rare to have anything go awry with cable TV in my observation. The only extended outage I can recall is when a vehicle took out a distribution pole. And when there was a multi-day power outage dies to a storm in my area there was a problem with a Shaw distribution switch when the power returned. Those sorts of outages are not normal.

I must say that Shaw's Internet service has been very reliable. I'm not happy that the company won't include me in the $50/month pricing for its new Wideopen Internet 150 plan, but that's a separate battle.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:00 pm

the-real-deal wrote:I am now with a local company for my internet and telephone service and the service is splendid.

The cost is about the same, BUT, NO interruptions, NONE, for three years !

Your local company is using either Shaw or Telus' infrastructure. If they go down, so do you.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:52 pm

I had a problem with CBC and Shaw several years ago and a tech came out to fix the problem. He mentioned to me that the way CBC delivered their signal to Shaw was different than other channels and many times created problems for the end user. Something about they delivered the HD signal and then Shaw was responsible for downgrading to SD. He fixed my problem so I didn't really go any further but I do notice that the 5.1 sound and HD on CBC is sometimes inferior to other channels (ie TSN and Sportsnet).
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen