6pm CTV, Global and CBC News numbers

News from the world of Television

6pm CTV, Global and CBC News numbers

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Harvey Oberfeld, former uber-reporter at Global Television writes in a recent blog that the 6pm TV news package ratings in Vancouver are stupidly low.
You can read the article on his blog here: http://harveyoberfeld.ca/blog/
The leader has a 4 share, the rest are below that.
A FOUR Share?
That means fewer than 12 per cent of available TV viewers are watching the 3 news shows.
Frosty Forst used to get a 35 share for his morning show.
Global News used to have a similar share for the 6pm package.
This just goes to show that TV is going the way of newspapers and magazines and most radio stations.
I don't know anyone under the age of 35 who even owns a TV set anymore.
They're all getting their media on their tablets or hand held devices, on demand.
How can the networks sustain this kind of expense when so few people are watching?
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Re: 6pm CTV, Global and CBC News numbers

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:52 pm

Some of the numbers, for Vancouver TV news are so small, it's a joke. (*I mean 0.4 shares?)

NO ONE CARES. People are dropping cable by the bushel.

The Internet has handed Traditional media its walking papers.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:35 am

In this day and age of home theatres and massive screen TVs I really can't understand people being satisfied watching tv on a 4 or 5 inch phone. That said newscasts like the News Hour are unfortunately going the way of the dodo bird and will continue to be staffed by lesser and lesser qualified hosts as it doesnt really matter who is reading the news because no one is watching anymore and advertisers have decided to spend their money elsewhere.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Another telling note... I've just purchased a new large screen tv. It has NO tuner. That's now an add-on optional purchase. Today's large screen TVs are being sold as "video monitors". They also come with the capability to stream whatever content you choose to the screen... Most people are using their cable box as their channel source anyway... if the're watching tv.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:57 pm

CBC's local newscast has gone downhill. They built a brand new, state-of-the-art building and studio a few years ago, complete with a stunning anchor desk and a great "bench strength" in Tony Parsons (loved him on CBC News yet didn't care for him on Global BC so I tend to think it was the channel, not the anchor) and Gloria Macarenko then when they brought in the B.C. version of the CBC News Network's "News Now" newscasts with Ian Hanomansingh, they went back to a "stand and deliver" model with a rolling flat screen TV and little else. As well, the quality of the reporting has suffered dramatically, maybe a couple local reports from local reporters and then the rest is interviews and Chang/Wagstaffe banter. Don't get me wrong...I love Andrew Chang, a talented personality, but CBC News has gone downhill. :(

I guess...if I had to hold my nose and watch local news, I'd pick CTV B.C. but I much prefer Pamela Martin and Bill Good. Even though I'm a B.C. Interior guy, I guess my local pick would actually be the CTV 2 Vancouver Island newscast, the one at 5 o'clock with that "Joe <something>" (can't remember his last name!). :)

I will say this...one positive change Global BC has made is expanding Sophie Lui's role and also shifting sports anchor Jay Durant to anchoring the 11 pm newscast. He actually does a really decent job and was my favourite sports reporter, after Shanel Pratap and ahead of Perry Solkowski.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Coolcat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:50 am

Established news outlets still don't get it and most newspeople are in total denial about the fact they have lost most of their influence as people just are not tuning in. Greta Van Susteren left Fox News a few weeks ago and started her own Twitter site apparently. Her viewers grew to 1.1 million within 8 hours which is not much less than her numbers at FOX and substantially more that the meager numbers CNN and MSNBC regularly put up.

Is it any wonder advertisers are heading for the hills when it comes to local dinner newscasts. More than likely there isn't a need for as many as there are and there will probably be a bloodletting in a few years. See link...

http://www.twitter.com/greta/status/774847536133730304
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:19 pm

There are many reasons why viewer numbers are falling rapidly. In addition to the usual I would add, too many anchors think they are THE show, adding personal comments and observations to stories that don't always go with the material. You can't be breaking up going into or out of a story revolving around death or destruction. Really, apart from the offenders, does anybody really care what the anchor thinks is funny or otherwise. Just get on with the 'cast.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:42 pm

gtbell wrote:There are many reasons why viewer numbers are falling rapidly. In addition to the usual I would add, too many anchors think they are THE show, adding personal comments and observations to stories that don't always go with the material. You can't be breaking up going into or out of a story revolving around death or destruction. Really, apart from the offenders, does anybody really care what the anchor thinks is funny or otherwise. Just get on with the 'cast.

YES YES YES!!!!
The inane banter between the presenters is not only unnecessary, it takes away from time the reporters could put into more than cookie cutter stories.
I can't watch the 6pm Global news anymore because of that, among other things. I did happen to tune in at the end of the News Hour once a couple of weeks ago and saw the entire team sitting on the couch chatting!?!?!?!?
C'mon Jill, you're better than that. Get Kenton to allow you to run a real newscast again! Please!!
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby crs » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:31 pm

the most overused phrase during the supperhour news on both Global and CTV Vancouver is "coming up". half the time the piece the anchors are saying is "coming up" just before they go to break is still 20 minutes away...or worse that spot right before the feel-good fluff piece at the very end. well guess WHAT rocket scientists behind the news, you keep saying "coming up" and i'm saying "tuning out" on the other side of the screen :groovy:

oh and as far as the "couch bonding moment" both networks seem keen on doing...why not go a little further and install a beanbag chair, maybe a suspended wicker chair or go all out and put down a couple yoga mats. how fun it would be to see Gailus or Killeen in a forward facing dog pose while doing happy talk with the rest of the "family" :carrot:
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars!
crs
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:27 pm

Last night I watched Chris Gailus catch up on his pushup challenge. Imagine an anchor doing pushups in front of a red chesterfield (couch) while the other 3 members of his team sit and watch. (Oh, I forgot, they counted to 23)!

Add this to all the inane comments before and after segments and it's no wonder viewers are heading elsewhere!
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:38 pm

Last night's lead story on the 6pm CTV news was someone falling off the Seawall in Stanley Park.
Gotta get some viz from that expensive helicopter.
This is what's wrong with television today.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby weatherguy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:18 pm

Hello,

I just joined RadioWest!
I guess I am old school at 53...but...I think there is still exists that traditional market for watching the 6pm news. If the management at Global would just target the audience that actually still retains a TV provider subscription (my generation). As mentioned by others, the folks in their 20s and 30s are not interested in a TV sub. so why bother spending TV broadcast resources on them?
weatherguy

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 pm

Coolcat wrote:Established news outlets still don't get it and most newspeople are in total denial about the fact they have lost most of their influence as people just are not tuning in. Greta Van Susteren left Fox News a few weeks ago and started her own Twitter site apparently. Her viewers grew to 1.1 million within 8 hours which is not much less than her numbers at FOX and substantially more that the meager numbers CNN and MSNBC regularly put up.

Is it any wonder advertisers are heading for the hills when it comes to local dinner newscasts. More than likely there isn't a need for as many as there are and there will probably be a bloodletting in a few years. See link...

http://www.twitter.com/greta/status/774847536133730304

Yeah, I heard about that. Initially, I fell along like a good little "sheep" and thought it had something to do with a major restructuring coming post-Roger Ailes but you raise an interesting point that deserves serious consideration. Thank you! :)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:46 pm

gtbell wrote:Last night I watched Chris Gailus catch up on his pushup challenge. Imagine an anchor doing pushups in front of a red chesterfield (couch) while the other 3 members of his team sit and watch. (Oh, I forgot, they counted to 23)!

Add this to all the inane comments before and after segments and it's no wonder viewers are heading elsewhere!

Wow...is this for real!? Poor Chris Gailus...I doubt that was his idea. That's really sad if Shaw Media/Corus is forcing their physically fit and chiseled on-air male talent into showing part of their workout routine. :(

Why not drop the "News Hour" from the show's name and call it, "Global BC #ThisEvening with @ChrisGailus and @SophieLui"!!??

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby ThisIsNotCBC » Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Man, if we could de-age Cameron Bell and Tony Parsons about 40 years and bring back what made BCTV's newscasts tops in the market... :neutral:
ThisIsNotCBC
Advanced Member

Next

Return to On the small screen