Combining Newsrooms

Radio News from British Columbia

Combining Newsrooms

Postby kal » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:27 pm

Noticed a Chris Gailus promo this morning on 'NW in which he proudly noted that CKNW News was now Global News and that the two entities would be working together to cover the lower mainland. Wonder what Warren Barker would have said in reaction?
kal
Advanced Member

Re: 6pm CTV, Global and CBC News numbers

Postby Coolcat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:56 pm

kal wrote:Noticed a Chris Gailus promo this morning on 'NW in which he proudly noted that CKNW News was now Global News and that the two entities would be working together to cover the lower mainland. Wonder what Warren Barker would have said in reaction?

So does that mean we actually get to see the person who is bastardizing the English language on NW newscasts.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Re: Combining Newsrooms

Postby jon » Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:19 pm

I thought the topic deserved its own thread, although it does not sound like CKNW and Global have actually combined their physical Newsrooms (yet?). Not sure what CHQR and Global are doing in Calgary.

Here in Edmonton, Doug Rutherford took great pride in combining the CHQT and CHED Newsrooms when iNews880 was born. Likewise, even before that, CBC Edmonton took similar pride in combining their four Newsrooms into one: French and English, TV and Radio.

I cannot speak for other markets, but I would hate to see Corus combine the CHED/iNews880 and Global Newsrooms. Despite common ownership, and the nightly appearance of Radio News Director Bob Layton on Global News, the two Newsrooms generally provide "different" News Voices, i.e. - points of view, and each has a history of excellent News coverage, thanks in no small part to Bob and Tim Spelliscy.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby weatherguy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:27 pm

In my opinion, there is still a decent AM news type station out there. It's in Kamloops: CHNL 610. It actually plays music to fill the gaps (and good music from the 70s and 80s)! Great personalities and real local flavor on their newscasts.

Growing up in Tsawwassen/Ladner, I sure miss the heydays of NW98 when it actually had a Vancouver/Lower Mainland vibe. When down in Langely/Richmond, etc. I always check the dial. Really bad big city radio choices now it seems - same old worn out formats on both AM and FM. My vote is for LG 104.3 but they repeat songs too much.

Bruce in Lillooet.
weatherguy

Postby Doug » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:28 pm

While I can see the idea of combining physical newsrooms, to save on leasing costs, I hope that new Global TV owner Corus does not end up eliminating editorial positions. I can see them utilizing CKNW staff on Global TV, perhaps even adding some CKNW programming to Global News: BC1 (what happened to then Shaw Media's plan to take BC1 national?) to give it 24/7/365 live TV news programming - which would be a first for Canada as even CBC News Network and CTV News Channel don't do this.

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia