Gary Miles passes.

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

Gary Miles passes.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:25 pm

On Facebook - I have just read Chuck McCoy's elegant goodbye to Gary Miles, who has passed away.

I am sorry, I have few other details.

Have you heard anything more?

He was always good to Julie and I.

RIP, Mr. Miles.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Re: Gary Miles passes.

Postby Russ_Byth » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Sorry to read of Gary's passing. He always had a pleasant word when he stopped by the 'Biz Hut' on a visit to Ash Street.
My condolences to Tanta and Gary's family and friends.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby abradioguy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 pm

abradioguy

Postby Tenax » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:22 am

Very sorry to hear this. Gary was an excellent CEO. He knew I came in early so I enjoyed many a 530am call with him. One of the things he was best known for on his market visits was his walkarounds. He would always contact me before a market visit to find out if there were any new employees he should make special note of, any special employee events. One more radio legend lost
Tenax

Postby jon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:21 pm

SIGN-OFFS:

Gary Lawrence Miles, 77, after a brief bout with cancer. In a career spanning over five decades, Miles began in radio as an announcer and then moved into sales. He worked his way up the ranks to become GM at several stations. Later, he served as VP at Selkirk Radio and then VP for Rogers Radio stations in Western Canada. Miles was promoted to CEO of the Rogers Radio Division and served in that capacity from 2002 to 2007, overseeing 46 stations, and was also a director of Vista Radio over recent years. He served on many boards and associations including as president of the Radio Bureau of Canada where he introduced the first standardized radio sales training program. He was also a past chair and board member of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters, Western Association of Broadcasters, Manitoba Association of Broadcasters and Numeris (formerly, the Bureau of Broadcast Measurement). Gary Miles retired in 2008 to consult internationally for the Canadian Traffic Network, Global Traffic Network, Golden West Broadcasting, JACK fm brand, SparkNet Communications, and media outlets in France, Singapore, India, Germany, Peru, the U.S. and the UK. He was inducted into the Canadian Association of Broadcasters Hall of Fame in 2006.
(Broadcast Dialogue)

Does anyone have a chronology of his early years, in terms of stations worked, especially as announcer?
jon
Advanced Member

Postby CWL » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Tenax wrote:Very sorry to hear this. Gary was an excellent CEO. He knew I came in early so I enjoyed many a 530am call with him. One of the things he was best known for on his market visits was his walkarounds. He would always contact me before a market visit to find out if there were any new employees he should make special note of, any special employee events. One more radio legend lost

Funny that is what I always appreciated about Gary. As a street rep in Lethbridge I remember how amazing it was to have a guy at Gary's level come around and spend a minute or two chatting. Even more amazing when he knew your name. I never forgot that as I moved into management and always encouraged the visitors from Head Office to make the rounds though few could pull it off with the ease and grace of Gary. Strangely when he left I kind of missed those cross country marathon budget calls...as long as ours wasn't the market getting dragged out on the carpet of course.
CWL

Postby drmusic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:52 pm

jon wrote:SIGN-OFFS:

Does anyone have a chronology of his early years, in terms of stations worked, especially as announcer?

I believe he was an announcer at CKCK Radio/TV, and worked his way up to GM of the radio side there.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Here he is in a video (by Terry Scott) of the CKCK 80th anniversary reunion in 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKcxz9SyzTQ
drmusic
Advanced Member

Return to General Radio News