Veteran Canadian comedian Bob Robertson dead at 71

Radio News from British Columbia

Postby radiofan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:56 pm

Along with his wife, Linda Cullen, Robertson hosted 'Double Exposure'
CBC News Posted: Mar 20, 2017 3:33 PM PT Last Updated: Mar 20, 2017 3:34 PM PT

Bob Robertson and Linda Cullen have been called the funniest married couple in Canada.

They met at CKNW radio where both worked — Robertson as a weatherman on the Frosty Forst morning show where he used his knack for vocal impersonations to spoof many a public figure.

Together Robertson and Cullen created the popular CBC Radio series "Double Exposure" which launched in 1987 and ran for over 10 years.

The show spawned many cross-Canada live tours and television specials, including the very popular New Year's Eve special called "A Swift Kick in the Year End."

In 1997, Double Exposure became a weekly comedy series on CTV and the Comedy Network. Robertson pulled triple duty as writer, performer and executive producer for the three-year duration of the program. 

In 2004, Double Exposure was given a star on Vancouver's Entertainment Row on Granville Street.

Robertson passed away Sunday at age 71 after a lengthy stay in hospital in Nanaimo.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4033337
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Veteran Canadian comedian Bob Robertson dead at 71

Postby albertaboy4life » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Sad news, indeed.

Condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.

From his days as a PD, hear Bob Robertson voicing a Drake Series 1 top of the hour ID for CKXL Calgary here - http://www.radiowest.ca/daily/ckxldrake1.mp3 (Thanks to Littleric for grabbing those cuts off some carts all those years ago)
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Very sad to hear this. Had the pleasure of working with both of them at NW in the 80's.
They were a comedic force in Canada.
My condolences to Linda and the family.
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

This is a sad day.

Julie worked with both of these incredible people.

Mr. Robertson and Ms. Cullen had "it".

RIP, and our sincere condolences to Ms. Cullen, and Mr. Robertson's Family, and the entire Family.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:19 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:From his days as a PD, hear Bob Robertson voicing a Drake Series 1 top of the hour ID for CKXL Calgary here - http://www.radiowest.ca/daily/ckxldrake1.mp3

I remember playing those jingles at CKXL. He voiced a top hour i.d. personalized for me from that same package.
Bob hired me there to do afternoons in 1973. What a huge break for a kid still in his teens!
During my brief time there I was blessed and lucky to enjoy the benefit of creative inspiration, support and input from both Bob and Marty Forbes.
Thanks Bob, wherever you are.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby RadioGuy89b » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:19 pm

Very sad to hear. I often wondered where he was - I try to keep track of these guys.. Robertson was a gem....1980s at NW....he did the 12 days of Christmas Parody.... did imitations of "Andre Le Puck (imaginative French Hockey player)" first PM Trudeau, Queen, even the late Gary Bannerman - his colleague on talk side 9 to 12 in the days at NW.

I got to meet him at an on location broadcast in 82 or 83 and I was probably a pest hanging around him at the "old" Richmond Centre expansion. Very nice man.

I'm so sorry... I must be getting old, i'm seeing so many pass away that were once somehow there....even if I didn't know.........Arnie Celsie PD former at CISL, John Cummins, former CISL, Bob Robertson now- ex NW.

Life is funny.. RIP Bob, may you put on performances in the sky. Sorry to Linda (whom I've never met).

Mark Jones
RadioGuy89b
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia