In 1922, CFCQ signed on with 40 watts on 450 meters from studios at 791 Dunsmuir in Vancouver. Until just a few years ago, the station was CFUN, which waged many Top 40 wars, all but the earliest ones with CKLG-730. Ironically, as CKMO, the station switched from 730 to 1410 KHz in 1933, and was one of the few stations that did not have to change frequencies in the great North American frequency switch of 1941.
In 1945, Radio-Quebec is legislated into existence in Quebec City. But, in 1946, Federal Minister C.D. Howe prohibits the issuance of broadcast licenses to other levels of government. Radio-Quebec never happens and Manitoba sells its two radio stations. But CKUA Edmonton somehow gets overlooked, even though the University of Alberta sold the station to the Alberta Government in 1944. AGT (Alberta Government Telephones) assumed control of the station on May 1, 1945, though the University retained the license.
In 1962, George Chandler died at only 55 years of age, just months before the arrival of legendary talk show host Pat Burns. Chandler had purchased CFXC New Westminster in 1926, changed the call letters to CJOR and moved the 50 watt station to Vancouver. The Grosvenor Hotel basement studios were opened in 1932. Jim Pattison has owned the station since 1965, eventually moving it to FM.
In 1978, Edmonton's CKO-FM-6 was approved for an increase in power from 64,000 to 100,000 watts and new transmitter site, but was required to change frequencies from 105.9 MHz to 101.9 MHz. The station had only been on the air for 7 weeks! After losing $55 million, the CKO All News network was silenced at noon Eastern time on November 10, 1989. But it really died in 1980 when Dr. Charles Allard's purchase through Allarco Broadcasting fell through, and the network moved more and more towards being a total simulcast with CKO Toronto.
In 1993, another CKMO (see above) would soon hit the airwaves as Victoria's Camosun College Radio Society presented their application for an FM station to the CRTC at a public hearing in Ottawa. Approval was given on June 23rd. In 2000, the station moved to 900 KHz AM in a frequency swap with Rogers, but signed off terrestrial radio forever in early 2012.
In 2000, Corus received CRTC approval to add an FM repeater in Banff on 93.3 MHz for Calgary's CKRY-FM.
In 2005, CKAY-FM was approved by the CRTC. It was more than a year before official sign-on at noon on May 20, 2006, licensed to Gibsons on the B.C. mainland, but transmitting from Mount Benson on Vancouver Island with an average effective radiated power of 600 watts on 91.7 MHz. The CKAY call letters became available in 2000 when Duncan's AM station switched to FM.