NW in need of an qualified board op?

Radio News from British Columbia

NW in need of an qualified board op?

Postby Jim Walters » Tue May 09, 2017 2:33 pm

The few times I've tuned into CKNW lately, I'd say they are in desperate need of a qualified board op or maybe even an engineer who can keep things running.

Last Thursday evening, two hours of the Charles Adler show didn't make it to air. In the 7PM hour, they reran the Global News Hours that had just played.

In the 8PM hour, it was a simulcast of BC1 from Global.

Finally at 9PM there a real live NW newscast followed by a some3what confused Charles Adler.

Whoever is opping Coast To Coast, should maybe listen to and be familiar with how the show goes and where to take commercial breaks. Last night, and one night last week, the trigger happy board op has jumped the gun during George's monologue and suddenly launched a full commercial break interrupting program content. Hard to believe this station once ruled the roost. Now it sounds like something out of Grand Forks in 1982.

Sound like tonight's Election coverage will be another NW/Global simulcast abortion. Long gone are the days when NW's stand alone Election coverage was second to none.

Just a few minutes ago, Steele and Drex starting a Facebook podcast of today's show from the Global studios and there was no audio, just the sounds of tech people at Global trying to figure out what was wrong.

Welcome to the age of nothing matters but the shareholders. Sure glad I'm not one.

I'll be getting my Election coverage from CBC and online.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Re: NW in need of an qualified board op?

Postby kal » Tue May 09, 2017 2:43 pm

It's too bad that they have sent Steele and Drex out to Burnaby. They should have stayed on familiar turf and by all means throw a camera feed up, but from the Black Tower.

Yes, it may have to be the CBC for election coverage, radio and/or TV.

Wow, what a fall from the days of yore, when 'NW election was the best in town.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby radioman » Tue May 09, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm many years out of the business--haven't been inside a station in decades to see how things actually operate in 2017. But I'm wondering if the screwups at CKNW as mentioned are because everything is pre programmed into a computer which now is in control of everything and if somebody makes a mistake in the programming into the computer, nobody can kill the mistake until its run its course on the air.

I've heard other similar screwups on C-FAX and wondered why can't they correct the mistake? It sounds like the board op is asleep or there is no board op--just a computer running everything.

Just wondering if this is the source of the problem?
radioman
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Tue May 09, 2017 9:16 pm

The C2C issue does sound related to computer automation, likely with no one in the building at that hour. I have to say, way back in the days when I was involved with such things Coast to Coast was one of the few things that could run by itself reliably.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Wed May 10, 2017 8:41 am

So nice to see Dreck wore his best Value Village suit for the big TV appearance on Global last night.

Now we know why some people have a face and dress for radio.

As I expected, CBC's coverage was light years ahead of the offering from Lake City and The Black Tower.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby sparky » Wed May 10, 2017 3:01 pm

Now that Steve Darling has failed at his attempt to get into politics, I wonder if he'll pop up at NW? He did do some fill in work there a few years ago and sounded not bad.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 am

sparky wrote:Now that Steve Darling has failed at his attempt to get into politics, I wonder if he'll pop up at NW? He did do some fill in work there a few years ago and sounded not bad.

Better money is high profile comm. job with the Liberals.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Thu May 11, 2017 11:14 am

And such a communications posting may have been offered as a fallback for running as a "star candidate."
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Anomaly » Sun May 21, 2017 12:32 pm

sparky wrote:Now that Steve Darling has failed at his attempt to get into politics, I wonder if he'll pop up at NW? He did do some fill in work there a few years ago and sounded not bad.

I would have much more respect for Steve if he abandoned the Liberals in favour of a seat behind the mike at NW. Won't happen though. :neutral:
Anomaly

Return to British Columbia