Andy Michaelson

Radio News from British Columbia

Andy Michaelson

Postby cart_machine » Mon May 15, 2017 6:25 am

It doesn't appear anyone here has mentioned the death last week of Andy Michaelson, who co-hosted the last morning show at CJOR.

https://necrocanada.com/deces/andrew-an ... RmqFFLD80I

Andy always seemed very easy-going at 'OR.

cArtie.
cart_machine
Advanced Member

Re: Andy Michaelson

Postby WayneCox » Mon May 15, 2017 7:13 am

cArtie, I agree, Andy always seemed like an easy going guy when we worked together during my ill fated year at CJOR. He and Tom Mark teamed up on Mark and Michaelson in the morning, and Andy was always giving 100%. Maybe Tom can reflect on his morning show partner.
WayneCox

Postby radiofan » Mon May 15, 2017 4:27 pm

Digging through the Radio West archives today, I came across an aircheck of Tom and Andy's last show on CJOR (just hours before the station became Classic Roc CHRX) September 2, 1988 ...

Mark & Michaelson last show on CJOR

Enjoy! (The first voice you'll hear is Al Davidson wrapping up a sportscast.)
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Mark » Tue May 16, 2017 1:41 pm

Thank you for posting that radiofan. It's the only piece of the show I've heard since the format was changed.
I'm very saddened to hear of Andy's passing.
He was a unique individual, which has been defined by the career path he eventually took and succeeded at.
Andy was a great guy to work with. We had lots of fun both in the studio and away from it. For two people who didn't know each other before the show was put together, I think we did fairly well. We developed quite the chemistry.
I made it my goal to try to break him as often as I could so the listeners could hear the belly laugh of his and feel the humour that he sometimes was cautious about showing.
He was a quick mind and was always coming up with ideas to do something different. He loved what he did and he did it well.
I think Andy made me a better broadcaster. I believe you always learn something every day about yourself and take something away to improve yourself. Andy helped me open up more and helped me realize what more I had in me.
We lost contact many years ago. I only learned of his death on Sunday. Strangely enough, the day he died he was in my thoughts and I had just recently been talking with one of my work mates about him and our show. Since beginning my new job in April, I've been using one of our Mark and Michaelson coffee mugs for my morning tea. It was extra special to me on Monday morning.
Bless you Andy. Rest in Peace.
Tom Mark

Postby jon » Wed May 17, 2017 4:22 pm

There is a Celebration of Life for Andy this Saturday in St. Albert, the suburb of Edmonton where Andy is well known for his published Poetry. And for his writing for the St. Albert Gazette.

There are some pictures of Andy, including one from CJCA, as well as a bio here: http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/ebc/col ... lson-andy/
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia