'SPORTSNET 650' needs a Program Director

Radio News from British Columbia

'SPORTSNET 650' needs a Program Director

Postby PicturesForYourEars » Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 pm

Every day, we strive to build a brilliant digital future for Canadians. We work as one team, with one goal –serve our customers better.

Imagine working in an exciting and fun environment where the whole team combines their interests and talents to create the most engaging Sports Talk Radio in Canada. Rogers Media Inc. is seeking a Program Director to manage its Vancouver sports radio station, Sportsnet 650. Reporting to the Program Director, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, this individual will play an integral role in building Vancouver’s newest all-sports radio station. If you Live, Eat and Breathe everything sports, we want to meet you.

Responsibilities:

Monitor and Evaluate programming selected for the station.
Management, motivation and recruitment of the Sportsnet 650 programming department.
Coordinating with TV production, news and promotions departments to accomplish the sound of the station in accordance with the station format.
Directly responsible for announcers and their on-air presentation, coaching and development; as well as the production department.
Working collaboratively with all Sportsnet platforms, including TV, and the digital product including all websites and social media platforms.
Work in conjunction with the Promotions Director and Sales Department with respect to promotions, contests and advertising.
Evaluate programming available from distributors, syndicators, and independent producers to recommend acquisitions for broadcast.
Manage budgets for the programming department.
Ensure station complies with CRTC regulations.

Qualifications:
Minimum of 5 years of experience in programming management or comparable experience in a major market.
Advanced knowledge of Sports.
Minimum 5 years of experience in the Sports/Talk format.
Experience building programming and promotions strategies.
Possess creative and innovative problem solving skills.
Knowledge of CRTC content regulations.
Excellent organizational skills and detail oriented, as well as ability to multitask.
Highly proficient in using the Selector Music scheduling system and familiarity with Scott Studios preferred.
Required computer skills include Outlook, Excel and Word.
Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
Experience on-air would be an asset.

...LEFT PLACES I SHOULDA STAYED,
STAYED PLACES I SHOULDA LEFT...
PicturesForYourEars
Advanced Member

Re: 'SPORTSNET 650' needs a Program Director

Postby jon » Sat May 13, 2017 8:52 am

Somewhat "daring" move to be so public about Rogers hiring now, given the CRTC's rules about new owners being "hands off" a station until they actually have CRTC approval to switch ownership to themselves.

I can certainly see how you could build a whole new format before you actually own a station, especially when you plan to move the studios, but someone at Rogers certainly would need to weigh the risk of doing it so publicly, lest it delays the CRTC approval while the CRTC investigates potential Rogers "influence" on the current owners.

On the other hand, it is coming up on 20 years since the CRTC last raised the issue, when Corus bought WIC, and I'm not aware of anything more than a few negative words from the CRTC.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby 78rpm » Mon May 15, 2017 2:20 am

How could the CRTC possibly approve this application by Rogers, knowing that there are already two All Sports stations (Team 1040 & Team 1410) already on the AM band in this market? Am I missing something huge here ?
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

Postby Anomaly » Sat May 20, 2017 1:27 pm

I agree with 78rpm. I'm sorry to see CISL go. :-(
Anomaly

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Sat May 20, 2017 2:47 pm

78rpm wrote:How could the CRTC possibly approve this application by Rogers, knowing that there are already two All Sports stations (Team 1040 & Team 1410) already on the AM band in this market? Am I missing something huge here ?

Ya, the fact that 1410's days are numbered.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Anomaly » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 pm

WheresFredTaylor wrote:Ya, the fact that 1410's days are numbered.

Sure, but Vancouver radio doesn't need another sports station at the expense of a veteran oldies/easy listening one.
Anomaly

Postby jon » Sun May 21, 2017 1:44 pm

78rpm wrote:How could the CRTC possibly approve this application by Rogers, knowing that there are already two All Sports stations (Team 1040 & Team 1410) already on the AM band in this market? Am I missing something huge here ?

Although they have a unique opportunity in this situation, since they have to approve the ownership change of CISL, I just don't see the CRTC considering the financial viability of 1410 in their decision making process.

Because, if they do consider the issue, won't that open the door for complaints in Edmonton from one of the three CHR (or is it called Top 40 these days?) stations, saying three are too many, and the third station should not have been allowed to change format to CHR?

Format only seems to be an issue of concern to the CRTC when stations have license restrictions related to format.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby drmusic » Sun May 21, 2017 2:11 pm

Novel idea, but how about letting the marketplace decide?
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Sun May 21, 2017 9:46 pm

AM Formats aren't regulated. This one's a slam dunk.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby 78rpm » Mon May 22, 2017 2:22 am

I see a format reversal being pretty appealing to 1410. They could pick up the oldies format, when CISL drops it.
Their only risk is possibly making a dent in the PPM ratings.
support community radio-send all your money now.
78rpm
Advanced Member

Postby Anomaly » Mon May 22, 2017 4:17 pm

78rpm wrote:I see a format reversal being pretty appealing to 1410. They could pick up the oldies format, when CISL drops it.
Their only risk is possibly making a dent in the PPM ratings.

This. Time to revive the CFUN I knew in the '80s and early '90s! :towel:
Anomaly

Postby Aaron » Tue May 23, 2017 10:10 am

There's really nothing to lose by trying.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Tom Jeffries » Tue May 23, 2017 1:55 pm

I was lucky enough to work at CFUN in the 70's and a good bit of the 80's.

It would be interesting to see if that kind of radio would go....but who are you going to hire, that know how to deliver the very (*trust me) tight format?
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Tue May 23, 2017 9:02 pm

We finally have the definitive answer to the question "Could 1410 switch to Ethnic?":

Ian March stated, in Dan Sys' Canadian Radio News, that "One of the few programming changes for AM stations that requires CRTC approval is primary broadcast language."
jon
Advanced Member

Postby GrumpyOldMan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:37 pm

Sounds like former Rogers Sportsnet Pacific bureau chief Craig MacEwan will be the new PD at AM 650. Good for Craig. He's a guy who was fiercely in favour of local/regional content on Sportsnet, which might have been to his detriment when SN started doing so much Toronto based programming. You'd expect Cybulski & Rintoul to be top of the talent targets now.
GrumpyOldMan
Advanced Member

Next

Return to British Columbia