State of news reading ion CKNW

Radio News from British Columbia

State of news reading ion CKNW

Postby kal » Tue May 30, 2017 12:12 am

Just listened to a difficult-to-digest late-night newscast on the former Top Dog. Pretty much a problem with each item covered.

This one however caused me to post here. The item concerned the newly-elected federal Tory leader and a comparison was being made to a former Tory leader. He was referred to as Justin (yes) Dye-fin-baker, better known of course as John Diefenbaker.

Lately I've noticed some of the traffic reporters getting a crack at news reading late at night.

What would Warren Barker have said?
kal
Advanced Member

Re: State of news reading ion CKNW

Postby Jim Walters » Tue May 30, 2017 8:44 am

kal wrote:Just listened to a difficult-to-digest late-night newscast on the former Top Dog. Pretty much a problem with each item covered.

This one however caused me to post here. The item concerned the newly-elected federal Tory leader and a comparison was being made to a former Tory leader. He was referred to as Justin (yes) Dye-fin-baker, better known of course as John Diefenbaker.

Lately I've noticed some of the traffic reporters getting a crack at news reading late at night.

What would Warren Barker have said?

I too heard the Justin Dye-fin-baker item and just shook my head. And what is with this starting a story with a chunk of an audio clip that NW seems to like doing now? This is not TV with video to go along with the audio. In the days when NW had pros reading the news, they didn't do this crap. It's even worse when the talk show hosts call on this pack of inexperienced "newspeople" to join the show and share their thoughts and background on stories in the news.

As for Warren, I'm sure he and most other former NW people don't even bother to tune into the once mighty Top Dog anymore.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby WheresFredTaylor » Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 am

Very well could have just been a one time stumble, happens.
WheresFredTaylor
Advanced Member

Postby Russ_Byth » Tue May 30, 2017 9:20 am

WheresFredTaylor wrote:Very well could have just been a one time stumble, happens.

Also noticed the original poster misspelled one of the words in the thread title. Probably a one-time stumble.
I also can't help but notice that some people here seem to be listening for the sole purpose of picking up on mistakes. Sure glad they weren't around when I was butchering tennis players' names with Fred and Cathy on Clear-FM. :oops:
Russ_Byth
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Tue May 30, 2017 10:18 am

Yes, I spotted the "ion" typo but could not go back to fix it.

As for one-time stumble ... were it only so. I've resisted making a post along these lines for many a month. Something is systemically amiss.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby sparkycivic » Tue May 30, 2017 2:39 pm

kal wrote:Yes, I spotted the "ion" typo but could not go back to fix it.

You're allowed to "typo" on here, because here you're not a paid professional whose performance has a direct impact on the success of "RadioWest", such as would be the case on-air.
That is the point of this thread, as I understand...
sparkycivic

Postby retireddxer » Tue May 30, 2017 2:58 pm

After some thought, I actually can see how this could happen.

Justin - after saying it so many times, "Prime Minister Justin Trudeau", it becomes a habit to say Justin automatically after saying the words Prime Minister.

Diefenbaker - if you did not grow up hearing the name as anyone born in the 1950s has, you may never have heard the name at all. I was born in the 1950s, but never heard the name Louis St. Laurent (Prime Minister during the 1950s) until I was in my mid-twenties. Loo-E San La-rah-n, which I believe is correct, would not have come out of my mouth if I saw it in print for the first time and had to say it out loud.
retireddxer

Postby albertaboy4life » Tue May 30, 2017 5:13 pm

Thing is . . .

Diefenbaker isn't "old news." The uttering of his name isn't even limited to a post-Confederation Canadian history class.

Not long ago there was talk of exhuming his body to settle a paternity dispute.

Further the use of online tools like Wikipedia et al. appears to be the name of the game, possibly even a credible source, in journalism these days.

Lo and behold Wikipedia has a pronunciation guide at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA_for_English to help one decipher and sound out - diːfənˌbeɪkər

Does anyone pre-read a newscast anymore? If one is so incapable of reading through a newscast live then why not resort to pre-recording it? At least this might provide enough time to edit and correct the "booting" of names and not sound so jarring.

Russ, maybe that's why Barry Wall did just that during his short-run at 97 KISS FM with Rob and Val. Perhaps he too couldn't easily pronounce the names of certain athletes.

Does anyone help the less experienced learn on the job? Mike Cleaver has posted elsewhere about Dick Smyth logging newscasts at 1050 CHUM and actively reviewing them. Do the news directors at Global News (radio/tv) under Troy Reeb's tutelage do the same?
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby kms » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Like Kal, I've held back from commenting about this too, and I agree it's a regular occurrence. I don't want to be mean, but I cringe when I hear a couple of the young newsreaders who consistently stumble over pretty simple words and phrases. Not just mispronunciations of people and place names, but generally bad reading. Maybe the copy is written in block caps with no punctuation? I hope with some practice these folks will improve.
kms

Postby kal » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:05 pm

"kms" has captured my concerns. For some news segments you will hear errors in almost every item. This has become noticeably worse in the past year or so.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia