CBC above criticism?

General Radio News and Comments, Satellite & Internet Radio and LPFM

CBC above criticism?

Postby Stn Brk » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:15 am

This morning I heard a young man reading the national news on CBC-1. He pronounced Qatar as - Cat-tar. More than once, so it wasn't a stumble. He doesn't know that it's pronounced - Cutter.

Tried to find a way to get that information to CBC News but the old Comments section on the website is gone. Options include Facebook, Twitter and other social media, but they're set up in such a way that you're limited to comments on articles posted by the CBC.

Are CBC staff so sensitive to criticism that they've blocked input from the listening public? How do you learn proper pronunciation if there's no way for listener to contact newsreader? I don't want to bash the guy. I'd just like to stop him from making a fool of himself every time he opens the mike and reads a story on Qatar.
Stn Brk
Advanced Member

Re: CBC above criticism?

Postby jon » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:04 pm

It appears to depend on whether Canadians have decided on the U.S. or U.K. way of saying it:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunc ... lish/qatar

I have no reason to disbelieve this site which says that ka-TAR is correct for U.S. English.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:53 pm

As I recall, it was the U-S media, a few years ago that debuted the 'cutter' way of saying it. I recall doing a whaaa? headspin the first time I heard it. Recently I have heard anchors on both CNN & MSNBC revert to ca-TAR.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Many years ago it was pronounced Kah-Tar. When the armed conflict broke out in the Gulf the second time around American newsies started with the Cutter variation. As usual, that led to Canadian announcers adopting the Cutter model.
If I had my choice, I would go back to square one and start using the Kah-Tar version. Unless someone from Qatar offers a proper pronunciation that is used in that nation.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:22 pm

Seems that "cutter" is the closer of the two to the local pronunciation.
https://www.quora.com/Arabic-language-Qatar-Is-it-kah-tarr-cutter-or-gutter
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Neumann Sennheiser » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:08 pm

It seems to me it took literally years into the war in Afghanistan (y'know..the one we're all still fighting) before everyone got on-board with "cobble" instead of "ka-bool" as the correct pronunciation of Kabul.
"You don't know man! I was in radio man! I've seen things you wouldn't believe!"
Neumann Sennheiser
Advanced Member

Postby Talker » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 am

All through school it was Kabool. Then we go to war and it becomes Kobble. I blame this and other pronunciation changes on the Americans. Also the main reason they spell things different(ly) than Canadian, British, Australian and New Zealand citizens. Ya just can't win with them! It's like they all went to Donald Trump University.
Talker
Advanced Member

Postby PMC » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:44 pm

Nobody mentioned the FBI dude, named commie or co may and then co me :)
PMC

Return to General Radio News