CKNW.com, MoneyTalks, new shows

Radio News from British Columbia

CKNW.com, MoneyTalks, new shows

Postby kal » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:32 am

Have you noticed the 'NW promos touting the all-new CKNW.com? Only there is no longer a CKNW.com. It's a placeholder for globalnews.ca.The site has simply been absorbed into the TV news web site. It must be galling for news director Terry Schinz to have to read these promos.

What is it with the poor audio quality on the Michael Campbell MoneyTalks show? Can't the station afford a better feed from his home or California or Arizona, or wherever Campbell operates from? Sometimes it is just so poor I end up turn off the radio.

How about that show sponsor, Solara Club, a "fractal income fund"? "Solara expects that the typical Fractal Income will provide a return...". "Expects"? Does this sound dicey? Besides, it's a misuse of the term "fractal".

And it seems that 'NW has new shows lined up for weekend programming, starting in early July. Looks like the Roy Green program is returning. It was pretty popular in its earlier run, BIP, before infomercial programming. Mercifully it appears that some of the infomercial programming is fading to black.
kal
Advanced Member

Re: CKNW.com, MoneyTalks, new shows

Postby kal » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:32 am

No interest in this topic apparently. At least interest that generates comments.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby kms » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm interested but it's easy for me to go on a rant when talking about CKNW these days. I find myself turning to CBC when the news comes on, that's how irritated I become. Speaking of lousy sound quality, the reports from Michael Levy the last few days didn't sound very good either. And I chuckle when the guests on Saturday's tech show Get Connected drop off or can't be heard because of lousy (usually cell) phone reception -- kind of ironic.

Here's the link to the new Corus programming: http://www.corusent.com/news/cknw-980-r ... alk-shows/
kms

Postby drmusic » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:34 pm

If you post things only to get comments you're doing it wrong. And frankly, your frequent complaints about a lack of replies do not reflect well.
drmusic
Advanced Member

Postby Anomaly » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:23 am

CKNW is terrible now, by and large. Can't believe we're losing CISL to a sports format too. Oh AM radio, you were golden back in the day.

That time has long past.
Anomaly

Postby Coolcat » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:14 am

kal wrote:And it seems that 'NW has new shows lined up for weekend programming, starting in early July. Looks like the Roy Green program is returning. It was pretty popular in its earlier run, BIP, before infomercial programming. Mercifully it appears that some of the infomercial programming is fading to black.

How about cleaning up the week's schedule with the current gems who are program hosts before worrying about the weekends.
Coolcat
Advanced Member

Postby Jim Walters » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 am

Looks like even the political folk know where the listeners are these days.

Despite McCombs illusion that he'll be having the first 1 on1 interview with BC Premier Designate John Horgan this morming

Jon McComb
20 mins ·
Twitter
·

.@jjhorgan First 1 on 1 interview since becoming Premier Designate on #JMS at 7:40 this morning. He's got the job...what happens next? @CKNW

CBC Radio One's Stephen Quinn just had Horgan on at 7:10 for about 10 minutes.

Sorry JM. It's not only the listeners that know NW ain't the powerhouse it once was.
Jim Walters
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:40 am

McComb essentially helped propel Horgan to prominence. When McComb ran the afternoon show, he gave time every Friday to Horgan to run a rant on the price of gasoline. It was quite a popular segment and it pulled Horgan to the front of the NDP benches.
kal
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia