Radio hosts who talk too much

Radio News from British Columbia

Radio hosts who talk too much

Postby Burning ears » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:17 am

I just signed on to this forum because I needed to vent. I do listen to the radio. But that may change. I listen to CKNW in the morning till about 7:30. McCombe brings in Palmer and Smith and his top 5 which is a good recap for both local and world events unfolding. Past two days there is a guy named Drex (?)filling in for McCombe. He does not shut up! He overtalks his guests which drives me nuts. I used to be on my kids all the time....let the person finish speaking before you start. Don't interrupt. There is Jeff Patterson on TSN1040...same thing...He just talks and talks even when interviewing a guest. I turn him off. One wonders if there is a radio measure of some sort that tracks minutes talked vs minutes listened on a radio show. These two guys me thinks would exceed exceptable limits. There I feel better already.
Burning ears

Re: Radio hosts who talk too much

Postby pave » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Venting is acceptable.
Criticisms are subjective.
But, still, there was a time when only skilled professionals were employed.
It has been a tough few decades.
pave
Advanced Member

Postby Troy » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:08 pm

I agree with Burning ears...tough to listen through that. However, Pave, I had the same frustration listening to radio in the 70's and 80's...this is nothing new. Too many times while recording the Top 10 at 10 on my cassette recorder, the announcer would talk over the intro trying to hit the post and it drove me nuts...even as a 12 year old.
Troy

Postby pave » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:58 pm

Indeed, Troy, any on-air presentation done poorly is irritating.
When it is delivered well by skilled professionals - it's Art.
And yes, it has been a few decades since that was a pervasive phenomenon.
pave
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia