CHQM's Legendary Bill Phillips has passed away

Radio News from British Columbia

CHQM's Legendary Bill Phillips has passed away

Postby jon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm

This afternoon, Bill Phillips passed away after a 9 year battle with multiple myeloma. Although he had trouble speaking, his mind was as sharp as ever right up to the end.

During most of the 1960s and well in the 1970s, his was the voice most often associated with CHQM AM & FM. Yes, even more than Bill Bellman.

There were lots of great stories about William Harold Phillips around the station, because everyone liked him. He was intelligent, witty, friendly and, most of all, he never seemed to make a mistake. When I joked, in a note I wrote him at the time, about him saying "Lest We Forget, this is CHQM AM & FM in Vancouver" at 11:00 a.m. on 1971's Remembrance Day, he seemed genuinely concerned that he might have done something wrong. The fact was that there was a long silence where the comma is placed in that quote, and the News intro came right after the top of the hour ID.

My fellow operators were amazed that a fast-paced show that would have us running off our feet would be handled live by Bill, doing crossword puzzles in Spanish to keep his mind active as the music played on a "single disc" show (song-announce-spot-ID-announce-song).

One of the part-time operators who did not last long because he kept showing up for work stoned, recalls sitting next to an older lady on a bus. She asked about Bill, and was clearly a fan. So, he told her that Bill insisted on doing all his shows in the nude. When that did not phase her, he said that Bill had a huge wart on the end of his nose. She seemed OK with that, too.

In the early 1980s, I somehow found it comforting to hear Bill doing the "The number you have dialed is not in service" recordings whenever I phoned B.C. from Edmonton.

A decade ago, I asked Bill if he could help me remember some of the names at CHQM from the early 1970s. I was amazed how many he still knew. Ironically, the only one that neither of us could remember was the fellow who met the Bill Phillips fan on the bus.

A Celebration of Life will be held but there is no firm date at present.
jon
Advanced Member

Re: CHQM's Legendary Bill Phillips has passed away

Postby Tom Jeffries » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:14 pm

Bill handled Q's - Prince George Properties back in 1970 - and so I had my ID done by him, and earlier, in 1968....he was the voice for much of CFAX 1070's programming.

So smooth.

RIP.

WE just lost Clint Nickerson, now this, and a while ago, Dave McCormick.

All very sad.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby CubbyCam » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:45 am

I'm so glad I had the chance to chat again with Bill last fall at the RPM luncheon... We sat at the same table for a while and reminisced about many things... A wonderful, intelligent and talented broadcaster... and one of my all time favourites. Sincere condolences to Paul and the rest of the family.
CubbyCam
Advanced Member

Postby J Kendrick » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:24 pm

"The telephone number you have reached is no longer in service..." :-(

Godspeed, Bill. Rest in Peace...
J Kendrick
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:02 pm

William Harold Phillips
September 16, 1933 – August 24, 2017

It is with sadness we announce the passing of William “Bill” Phillips of Okanagan Falls, beloved husband of 58 years to Margaret.

Bill passed away at the South Okanagan General Hospital on Thursday, August 24, 2017 at the age of 83 years. He will be dearly missed by his wife Margaret, children Paul Phillips of Langley, Christa Phillips of Okanagan Falls, sister Marilyn Brickenden as well as by numerous nieces, nephews, extended family and friends. Bill was predeceased by parents Cecil and Winifred Phillips as well as by his son Willy.

Bill was born and raised in Vernon where he began his lifelong broadcasting career at CJIB radio in the 1950’s. He continued to work throughout the lower mainland at various stations, most notably CBC and CHQM, until his retirement to the Okanagan in the mid 1990’s.In the 80’s and 90’s he was also the familiar voice of BC Tel. In the Okanagan he was an active musician, chorister and performer.

The family wish to extend a special thank you to the Oncology and Palliative teams at Penticton and Oliver Hospitals.

Memorial Donations in Bill’s memory may be made directly to the BC Cancer Agency, 399 Royal Ave, Kelowna BC V1Y 5L3.

A Celebration of Life will be held in Spring of 2018 and will be announced at a later date.

To share condolences, please visit http://www.grahamfuneralhome.ca.

Funeral arrangements entrusted to Graham Funeral Home, Oliver, BC, 250-498-3833.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia