New US data suggest cord-cutting picking up steam

News from the world of Television

New US data suggest cord-cutting picking up steam

Postby kal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:08 am

New data suggests cord-cutting picking up pace.

There had been some evidence that the pace was slowing, and some companies had even shown slight growth, but new analysis suggests otherwise.

What are you doing?

After years on a full-service TV package (no additional specialty channels), I switched a year and a half ago to the newly mandated basic or skinny TV at $25 a month. I spent an additional $6 to get CNN, which added several other news channels as well. Have I missed all those additional channels? A little. There's no WWE for instance. However, for the most part, the $25 package is more than adequate.

In addition I've deployed a Roku Ultra box and use it to watch several European channels. However, the Roku can't pull in any of the content I'm getting through the $25 TV package so I can't at this point completely cut the TV cord.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/cord-cutting-2017-estimates-cancel-cable-satellite-tv-1202556594/
kal
Advanced Member

Re: New US data suggest cord-cutting picking up steam

Postby tuned » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:26 am

I also went to the skinny package over a year ago. I wouldn't even have that if I wasn't downtown and can only get two off air channels. The ads are what pushed me over the edge. For every three hours you spend watching cable, one hour is ads. They should be paying you not the other way around. I have missed a few shows but I've saved seven hundred bucks a year and not wasted hundreds of hours watching pharmaceutical ads and Shaw promos.
tuned
Advanced Member

Postby kal » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:28 am

Do you mean off-air or over-the-air (OTA)? I have used an OTA antenna but the downside is, depending on location, no American channels, and definitely no CNN.
kal
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:01 pm

Happy with my Shaw Skinny basic package plus one movie channel package just to get TCM. 33 bucks a month, compared to 75 bucks a month previously for dozens of channels we never watched. Also have an antenna which gets all the local channels in better quality and is a backup when Shaw Cable goes down.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:59 pm

kal wrote:Do you mean off-air or over-the-air (OTA)? I have used an OTA antenna but the downside is, depending on location, no American channels, and definitely no CNN.

Or no watchable signal at all.

"Off Air" was a commonly-used term before the CRTC popularized "OTA". As in "was that aircheck recorded off-air or from a studio feed?"
jon
Advanced Member

Return to On the small screen