Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Postby radiofan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from late 1968 .. an early hit for Montreal's Andy Kim ... "Rainbow Ride" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCAvvr94FAc

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 3

Postby Richard Skelly » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Whether co-writing Sugar Sugar for The Archies or covering Baby I Love You himself, Andy Kim seldom created music with an edge. To my ears, Rainbow Ride was a refreshing exception. Whether due to the underlying thrum or the arpeggio guitar, this little number cooks. Andy was actually signed to Steed, a boutique label run by his then-collaborator Jeff Barry. Dot Records distributed Steed in the US. Here in Andy's native land, Quality released this on the Dot imprint with Steed getting a label credit.

After his joyful 1974 comeback with the funk/pop ear worm Rock Me Gently, Andy slowly receded from the scene. For a time, he enjoyed a turntable hit or two in Canada under the alias Baron Longfellow. But much like Terry Jacks, who inspired a very young Kurt Cobain, Andy enjoyed residual good will with younger peers. Not too long ago, Kevin Drew (Broken Social Scene) produced an indie-tinged album for Mr Kim, co-writing a number of tracks.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day