Another Q103.1 voice departs for The Ocean

Radio News from British Columbia

Another Q103.1 voice departs for The Ocean

Postby sparky » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:19 am

Last week it was announced that former Q103.1 PD and current Midday announcer Susan Knight is leaving the Pattison owned station to return to Victoria for a new gig with Rogers Ocean 98.5.

Knight will be PD and Midday announcer at the Hot A/C station.

This morning, it was announced that Victoria market vet Robin Farrell will also be making the move from Q103.1 to Ocean 98.5 where she will team up with A.J. Cruze as the station's new Morning Show.

So, if you're the Pattison folks, what do you do with an underperforming FM stick that's just lost the bulk of it's on-air talent, it's promotion department and has been floundering in an over radioed market?

Imagine what the bottom line might have looked like today if the station had stuck with it's initial country format. Just ask the folks at Newcap what it's like to have a Country cash cow.

The only direction I see (and hope for) is Q103.1 reinventing itself as a true Classic Hits/Oldies station playing 60s, 70's and 80's tunes. It seems to work well in places like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton,
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer etc. Why not in Kelowna? Bring back the CKOV name, OV 103.1 Okanagan Classics.
"You get a bunch of clowns together and sooner or later you've got a circus"
sparky
Advanced Member

Re: Another Q103.1 voice departs for The Ocean

Postby Dan Sys » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Unfortunately Clear Sky Radio has grabbed the CKOV call letters for a new Country station about to hit the air in Strathmore, Alberta. I don't know what the significance of OV would be for Strathmore (if anything), perhaps everyone in the town drinks Old Vienna.

I see that the CJOV call letters are available though. These were the original calls on what evolved into CKLZ 104.7 (Power 104).
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:46 pm

sparky wrote:Last week it was announced that former Q103.1 PD and current Midday announcer Susan Knight is leaving the Pattison owned station to return to Victoria for a new gig with Rogers Ocean 98.5.

This morning, it was announced that Victoria market vet Robin Farrell will also be making the move from Q103.1 to Ocean 98.5 where she will team up with A.J. Cruze as the station's new Morning Show.

So, if you're the Pattison folks, what do you do with an underperforming FM stick that's just lost the bulk of it's on-air talent, it's promotion department and has been floundering in an over radioed market?

Imagine what the bottom line might have looked like today if the station had stuck with it's initial country format. Just ask the folks at Newcap what it's like to have a Country cash cow.

The only direction I see (and hope for) is Q103.1 reinventing itself as a true Classic Hits/Oldies station playing 60s, 70's and 80's tunes. It seems to work well in places like Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton,
Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Red Deer etc. Why not in Kelowna? Bring back the CKOV name, OV 103.1 Okanagan Classics.

Obviously, you don't live here in the Okanagan. K-96.3 (CKKO) has been providing Kelownians with a classic rock format since 2009. LOL
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 pm

Classic Hits, not Classic Rock. More of a difference between the two than the market's pop stations.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Unfortunately Clear Sky Radio has grabbed the CKOV call letters for a new Country station about to hit the air in Strathmore, Alberta. I don't know what the significance of OV would be for Strathmore (if anything), perhaps everyone in the town drinks Old Vienna.

I see that the CJOV call letters are available though. These were the original calls on what evolved into CKLZ 104.7 (Power 104).

Dan Sys: Not quite sure where you are going with this. As you saying that CKOV needs to be revitalized in Kelowna ? Why. As anyone who worked at 630 CKOV
would tell you, that station lost hundreds of thousands of dollars in its final days. I do agree the use of CKOV in Strathmore is a bit puzzling.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby the-real-deal » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:58 pm

Aaron wrote:Classic Hits, not Classic Rock. More of a difference between the two than the market's pop stations.

What would be the difference.
the-real-deal
Advanced Member

Postby Aaron » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:06 pm

Much more pop and middle-of-the-road than Classic Rock. As close as you can get to "oldies" if you're willing to push that definition into the 90s.

In Edmonton, K97 is Classic Rock and Capital is Classic Hits. (And UP is Adult Hits if you want to go further...) and they all do well.
Aaron
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:00 pm

sparky wrote:Last week it was announced that former Q103.1 PD and current Midday announcer Susan Knight is leaving the Pattison owned station to return to Victoria for a new gig with Rogers Ocean 98.5.

Wouldn't that be a great move? What's old is new(s) again, perhaps? :)

Perhaps they should've just stuck with the CKOV - The Okanagan's News Authority moniker and skipped the country music format? I think the CKOV callsign is again in use elsewhere but, at any rate, I'd welcome an oldies/news station in Q103. I'll just be sad to see Q103 go because, in my view, it's the superior Hot AC station over The Juice (which is also format switching) and Sun FM. The Juice is not bad, music wise, in its current format; I just don't like their Lou and Jo2 announcers, especially Lou whose voice I find "grating" on my nerves. :(

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 pm

Dan Sys wrote:Unfortunately Clear Sky Radio has grabbed the CKOV call letters for a new Country station about to hit the air in Strathmore, Alberta. I don't know what the significance of OV would be for Strathmore (if anything), perhaps everyone in the town drinks Old Vienna.

Didn't know that about Power 104. Yeah, I'd like to seem actually ditch the old Lizard call letters and bring back CJOV for either Power 104 or Q103. I kinda like the Q103 branding, though. Perhaps: -
- CKQQ 104.7 Q104 - Kelowna's Classic Rock (flip from modern rock and flip call letters and format to 104)
- CKLW 103.1 The Peak - Classic Hits with News & Information (mix of either AC or soft AC with oldies, some classic rock and pop hits combined with 5-10 minute news, business, traffic and weather updates on the '00s and '30s from 6 AM to 7 PM; music only between 7 PM and 6 AM)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby KamloopsRadioDude » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:07 pm

dmehus wrote:
Dan Sys wrote:- CKLW 103.1 The Peak - Classic Hits with News & Information (mix of either AC or soft AC with oldies, some classic rock and pop hits combined with 5-10 minute news, business, traffic and weather updates on the '00s and '30s from 6 AM to 7 PM; music only between 7 PM and 6 AM)

Cheers,
Doug

Sounds like a Radio NL clone to me.... nothing wrong with that!
KamloopsRadioDude
Advanced Member

Return to British Columbia