Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 29

Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 29

Postby radiofan » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:42 pm

Today's Can-Con 45 is from 1972 ... The one and only hit for Lorence Hud ... "Sign Of The Gypsy Queen" (The original version of April Wine's 1981 hit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDcw-HJ-Eyc

Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.
radiofan
Advanced Member

Re: Can-Con 45 Of The Day - October 29

Postby Richard Skelly » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:40 pm

This could well be a real case of Where Is He Now?

Twenty or so years after his nanosecond heyday, Lorence Hud was one of several songwriters whose whereabouts were requested by SOCAN. Canada's performing rights agency made the plea in an issue of its quarterly magazine sent to songwriters, publishers and other music industry folk. What it meant was that they had cash royalties to distribute but no one to send them to.

I'd never heard of the other composers on the list. But Lorence Hud definitely rang a bell. A&M Canada marketed him as Hud, perhaps hoping it would evoke positive memories of the Paul Newman flick. I believe Hud's album cover featured an artist's rendering and not an actual photograph. Gerry and his A&M promo boys must have trotted Lorence to radio stations and rock scribes. So presumably some photos exist?

Or maybe not. Perhaps the guy was a privacy freak. While Sign of these Gypsy Queen got plenty of CanCon turntable action upon its release, the April Wine cover did boffo business in the US and perhaps abroad.

Depending how long Mr Hud had been MIA, the royalties could well have been (or still be) substantial. I stopped subscribing so never read if SOCAN found Lorence or if he remains unaccounted for.
Richard Skelly
Advanced Member

Return to Can-Con 45 Of The Day