Q 103.1 is now 103.1 Beach Radio

Radio News from British Columbia

Re: Q 103.1 is now 103.1 Beach Radio

Postby Mike Cleaver » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

"C" calls were and maybe still are used for VHF and UHF radio communications between vehicles, hand helds and base stations. CHUM in Toronto had the call CJY302 for it's mobile units, including one in the traffic plane. I think the "V" call signs still are being used for Amateur Radio.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby swan_ch » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:19 am

dmehus wrote:
Dan Sys wrote:Yes, it's taken. A low power repeater of CIFM 98.3 Kamloops in Shalath, B.C. currently has the CHBR calls.

Thanks...I figured you'd know, DanSys! It's kind of a shame that those call letters which would be useful for many abbreviations are just that of a low-power repeater

Well... since CIFM is also owned by JP, I believe CIFM would not mind to pass the "CHBR" name to Kelowna if they needed, just like what Rogers did to "CFUN", "CKKS" and "CKLG".
swan_ch

Postby freqfreak2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:32 pm

Do calls matter anymore these days - especially if numerous ownership and format changes have taken place in the years since the CFUNs and CKLGs and others of the world were dial fixtures?

In spite of top-of-hour required legal IDs, I'd challenge any listener under the age of 30 to match any four call letters (actually three, since "C" and "K" and "W" are givens) to brands such as Beach, Clubhouse, Peak, Mountain, Coast, Lake, River, Up, Star, Peach, Fresh, Juice, Sunny, Jack, Jake, Bob, Fred, Now, Bear, Beat, Breeze, Hot, Fox, Team, Game, Fan, Hitz, Amp, Sonic, Cat Country, Pulse, Cool and Kool, Boom, Jock, Kiss and Kissing, Kicks and Kix, Lite, Light, K-Lite, K-Rock, Easy and EZ, Life, Rewind, Love, Shine, Magic, Rocket, Mix, Spirit, Money, Smooth, Power, Soft, Super, Mighty, Point, Sound, Touch, Source, Vibe, Score, Wolf, Wild and Zone.

What we need are more descriptive nicks, such as Dork, Dwarf, and Toad ... or to borrow a tradition from our North American predecessors ... Run-By-Idiots, It-Wasn't-Me, Was-Like-That-When-I-Found-It, Trying-My-Best ... and my personal favourite: I've-Run-Out-Of-Ideas.

Sad.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Howaboutthat » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:51 pm

You forgot Goat. :carrot:
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:55 pm

Howaboutthat wrote:You forgot Goat. :carrot:

Which category should that go in - actual or descriptive?
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby Mike Cleaver » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:40 am

How about "The Puke"?
Describes most of the drivel that passes for programming on radio and TV these days.
Mike Cleaver Broadcast Services
Engineering, News, Voice work and Consulting
Vancouver, BC, Canada

54 years experience at some of Canada's Premier Broadcasting Stations
Mike Cleaver
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:35 pm

freqfreak2 wrote:Do calls matter anymore these days - especially if numerous ownership and format changes have taken place in the years since the CFUNs and CKLGs and others of the world were dial fixtures?

In spite of top-of-hour required legal IDs, I'd challenge any listener under the age of 30 to match any four call letters (actually three, since "C" and "K" and "W" are givens) to brands such as Beach, Clubhouse, Peak, Mountain, Coast, Lake, River, Up, Star, Peach, Fresh, Juice, Sunny, Jack, Jake, Bob, Fred, Now, Bear, Beat, Breeze, Hot, Fox, Team, Game, Fan, Hitz, Amp, Sonic, Cat Country, Pulse, Cool and Kool, Boom, Jock, Kiss and Kissing, Kicks and Kix, Lite, Light, K-Lite, K-Rock, Easy and EZ, Life, Rewind, Love, Shine, Magic, Rocket, Mix, Spirit, Money, Smooth, Power, Soft, Super, Mighty, Point, Sound, Touch, Source, Vibe, Score, Wolf, Wild and Zone.

What we need are more descriptive nicks, such as Dork, Dwarf, and Toad ... or to borrow a tradition from our North American predecessors ... Run-By-Idiots, It-Wasn't-Me, Was-Like-That-When-I-Found-It, Trying-My-Best ... and my personal favourite: I've-Run-Out-Of-Ideas.

Sad.

Wow...that's quite the humourously exhaustive list of radio station "brandings". Didn't know the legal ID was only required at the top of the hour - and I like/want to see it the minimum requirement be every 15 minutes! :(

There's a station called "Cat Country"? Wow. And how many "Jack" and "Bob" FM competitor names do we need? Didn't know of a "Jake FM". Obvious copycat. Why no Cynthia FM or Cyndi FM? ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby Doug » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:37 pm

Mike Cleaver wrote:How about "The Puke"?
Describes most of the drivel that passes for programming on radio and TV these days.

LOL! Too funny...yeah exactly. JPBG, time for a rebranding of Power 104 to 104.7 The Puke? I think you own some C-PK call letters for current, and former, "Peak" branded stations that would be awesome! ;)

Cheers,
Doug
Doug
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

dmehus wrote:There's a station called "Cat Country"?

Actually, there was a whole network of them across rural Alberta back in the late 2000s.

If any had converted to a talk format, they could have boasted that their Cat now got their Tongue ... which is surprisingly not a branding as of this post.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby oldnewsie » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:24 pm

The New 103.1 Beach Radio has a TV commercial....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oT4-owq2I0
oldnewsie

Postby Howaboutthat » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:05 pm

oldnewsie wrote:The New 103.1 Beach Radio has a TV commercial....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oT4-owq2I0

Maybe they'll get a morning show at some point.
Houston, We're dealing with morons!.
Howaboutthat
Advanced Member

Previous

Return to British Columbia