It's begun. Capital FM is all Christmas.

Radio news from Alberta

It's begun. Capital FM is all Christmas.

Postby Rocky » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:04 pm

Edmonton's Classic Hits Capital FM is in the Christmas spirit as of mid morning today.

Edmonton's Official Christmas Station from today until Christmas.

Humbug!
Rocky
Advanced Member

Re: It's begun. Capital FM is all Christmas.

Postby Tom Jeffries » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:10 pm

A MONTH too early.
Tom Jeffries
Advanced Member

Postby Dan Sys » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:20 pm

Humbug!

Exactly! Who cares? Why the same old stations flipping to All Christmas every November makes the news is beyond me.
Dan Sys
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:08 pm

No disagreement about this being "Way Too Early". However, if there was a year to do it this early, this is it for Edmonton, with the City's first Terrorist Attack still very close in the rear view mirror of local history. Christmas and Remembrance Day will have a lot more meaning for many Edmontonians this year.

I remember a friend saying publicly, in September 2001, that things had changed permanently, but it was not until this recent event that it really became true for many of us.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:48 pm

jon wrote:No disagreement about this being "Way Too Early". However, if there was a year to do it this early, this is it for Edmonton, with the City's first Terrorist Attack still very close in the rear view mirror of local history. Christmas and Remembrance Day will have a lot more meaning for many Edmontonians this year.

I remember a friend saying publicly, in September 2001, that things had changed permanently, but it was not until this recent event that it really became true for many of us.

In light of all that, I was surprised when I checked a couple of minutes before 11:00 a.m. this morning that CHED was running what sounded like live play-by-play sports while CFCW was running a well-produced Remembrance Day feature.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:11 pm

jon wrote:In light of all that, I was surprised when I checked a couple of minutes before 11:00 a.m. this morning that CHED was running what sounded like live play-by-play sports while CFCW was running a well-produced Remembrance Day feature.

I too was totally shocked that CHED saw more importance in broadcasting an Oilers game than taking a minute or two away from the PBP to honour Canada's veterans. Disgusting!

Speaking of CHED, does anyone have any idea when they might be returning to their normal pattern rather than running day pattern 24/7?

As for Christmas music, anything before December 1 or the US Thanksgiving holiday is way too early.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby freqfreak2 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:37 pm

45 RPM wrote:I too was totally shocked that CHED saw more importance in broadcasting an Oilers game than taking a minute or two away from the PBP to honour Canada's veterans.

I happened to tune in a moment after 11 when either Reid Wilkins or Bob Stauffer was backselling CHED's moment of silence. It was either their tribute to fallen vets or a Bryan Hall spot that didn't fire.
freqfreak2
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:16 pm

Listening to Rob Christie this morning, one promo mentioned that the Christmas music ends on Christmas Day, and its back to format for Boxing Day and beyond.

Can't be sure but think it was Buzz Bishop that Rob was "using" as a side-kick at 8:30 this morning. Buzz has his own show from 9am-2pm on Capital FM.

Shane Michaels, Karl Douglas, Matt Storey and Jake Taylor round out the on-air personnel roster, though I cannot swear that the latter two are live and local. Shane and Karl are definitely here in Edmonton.
jon
Advanced Member

Postby albertaboy4life » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:15 pm

I'm guessing that XL-103, Capital's sister station in Calgary, will launch its Christmas music format on December 8th or 9th to tie in with Don's (Stevens) and Joanne's (Johnson) retirement on the 8th.

The August 2nd web page announcement of their retirement is still posted - http://www.xl103calgary.com/583-2/

No word yet as to who is joining the Coach to form the new morning show.

Vinnie Taylor still doing weekend mornings on XL-103 . . .
Faster cars, younger women, older cheese, more money . . .
albertaboy4life
Advanced Member

Postby 45 RPM » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:39 pm

albertaboy4life wrote:I'm guessing that XL-103, Capital's sister station in Calgary, will launch its Christmas music format on December 8th or 9th to tie in with Don's (Stevens) and Joanne's (Johnson) retirement on the 8th.

The August 2nd web page announcement of their retirement is still posted - http://www.xl103calgary.com/583-2/

No word yet as to who is joining the Coach to form the new morning show.

Vinnie Taylor still doing weekend mornings on XL-103 . . .

I'm into my countdown til December 8th. I've made myself a Wheezy Stevens Advent Calendar. It's goes nicely with the "Wheezy" ringtone on my iPhone.
45 RPM
Advanced Member

Postby jon » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:29 pm

jon wrote:Can't be sure but think it was Buzz Bishop that Rob was "using" as a side-kick at 8:30 this morning. Buzz has his own show from 9am-2pm on Capital FM.

Solved my mystery this morning. Rob's side-kick is his board operator, "Engineer Scott" as Rob calls him.
jon
Advanced Member

Return to Alberta